The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rally in Front of Calgary City Hall Turns Violent

nucklehead

13 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

You're right, only a few people are wearing masks... yet aren't really engaged in the actual violence, lol.  

Sure... Neo-Nazi and Skinheads are scum... but when was the last time you ever see them in number out and about protesting and vandalizing?  I don't ever recall have any skinheads/nazi-wannabees protesting in Canada.  I mean actual Neo-Nazi... not "I don't like them.... they're as bad as nazi!" types.  

In one of the video.... some of the "Christian" folks got bear-sprayed.  That means at least 1 person went there with a weapon with the intention of using it.  

I tried to ninja-edit it to read fundamentalist Christians just like the ones in that video but wasn't quick enough.

All I see are a bunch of animals attacking one another. And that's exactly what these things devolve into. I don't see the point in pointing fingers when there are enough idiots on both sides but to each their own.

36 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

In one of the video.... some of the "Christian" folks got bear-sprayed.  That means at least 1 person went there with a weapon with the intention of using it.  

It means at least one person had bear spray, it does not mean they had any intent to use it, at the protest. It could have been a lady brought it to fend off a mugger, or worse, on her way home.

Just now, gurn said:

It means at least one person had bear spray, it does not mean they had any intent to use it, at the protest. It could have been a lady brought it to fend off a mugger, or worse, on her way home.

Possible... but it's still a weapon that was used outside of it's original intentions.  

10 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Possible... but it's still a weapon that was used outside of it's original intentions.  

Maybe- or maybe someone went to slug "her" so she sprayed them. Lots of room for possibilities.

Just now, gurn said:

Maybe- or maybe someone went to slug "her" so she sprayed them. Lots of room for possibilities.

Self-defense doesn't really hold water when you intend to get involved in a potential volatile situation.  

The result and weapon used is irrelevant, it's the intention.

If she was using a conceal-carry firearm, I doubt you would be defending the action in its entirety.  

This is all assuming the person who use the bear spray is a women to begin with and was carrying bear spray as a self-defense tool rather than using it with the intention of causing harm.  

6 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Self-defense doesn't really hold water when you intend to get involved in a potential volatile situation.  

If she was using a conceal-carry firearm, I doubt you would be defending the action in its entirety.  

This is all assuming the person who use the bear spray is a women to begin with and was carrying bear spray as a self-defense tool rather than using it with the intention of causing harm.  

Self defence is a good defense at anytime that you did not commit violence towards another first.

Do you have proof of this person's intentions?

Just now, gurn said:

Self defence is a good defense at anytime that you did not commit violence towards another first.

Do you have proof of this person's intentions?

Alternatively, do you have proof of this person's intentions either?

The scuffle was already happening for like 5 minutes or something.  It's not like some person got bumped into, felt threatened and then use the spray.  The fighting was already happening for a bit.... more than enough time to one to flee or to stay away from the situation entirely.  

2 hours ago, Toews said:

I agree that people are free to express their ideas and hold rallies just like the protesters are free to come and protest these rallies.

The story doesn't state who started the violence. It could be either side, I find it funny that every time something like this happens the right immediately starts spinning the narrative of the "violent left". Both sides have their fair share of radicals, and it only takes one idiot to throw the first punch before all hell breaks lose.

Why protest though?  Let the foolish make fools of themselves.  Getting into altercations with them only promotes their agenda.  Would we have even heard of this rally if not for the protestors getting involved?  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why protest though?  Let the foolish make fools of themselves.  Getting into altercations with them only promotes their agenda.  Would we have even heard of this rally if not for the protestors getting involved?  

Had the police anticipated this (which they should have) then there would be no altercation and we would not have heard about this. I get what you are saying Alf but I don't think most of the protesters went there with the intention of getting involved in an altercation. 

1 minute ago, Toews said:

Had the police anticipated this (which they should have) then there would be no altercation and we would not have heard about this. I get what you are saying Alf but I don't think most of the protesters went there with the intention of getting involved in an altercation. 

I agree.  I bet dollars to doughnuts the people supporting the rally were hoping for protestors though.

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

Where have I seen something like that before...

Image result for young girl bear sprayed at rally

1 hour ago, Toews said:

There is a video in this link if anyone is interested. There is a moment in that video when a woman attacks a man twice her size, that was a serious wtf moment. :wacko:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/violent-protest-calgary-city-hall-1.4207879

I see the Christian crowd hit that person with a box or something 20 to 30 seconds in.  Then I see one of them throwing a guy in rainbow socks to the ground by a CBC van, then I see one kicking a woman in the side of the ribs near the end.

Jesus Make Canada Great Again....ffs these idiots I tell ya

15 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I see the Christian crowd hit that person with a box or something 20 to 30 seconds in.  Then I see one of them throwing a guy in rainbow socks to the ground by a CBC van, then I see one kicking a woman in the side of the ribs near the end.

Repent or die

15 hours ago, Warhippy said:

That's the point I was trying to make earlier.  The "so called" Christian rally members were surely advertising this get to gether widely and loudly in hopes protestors would show up.  I think  they want conflict, so they get on the news.  That's why (maybe?) it's best to just leave them to their rally.  Why give them what they want - attention?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

That's the point I was trying to make earlier.  The "so called" Christian rally members were surely advertising this get to gether widely and loudly in hopes protestors would show up.  I think  they want conflict, so they get on the news.  That's why (maybe?) it's best to just leave them to their rally.  Why give them what they want - attention?

I'm not anti Christian (entirely) but when you openly advertise we're going to rally against LGBT and as anti abortionists you're going to get the response that was seen.  As well if you're confrontational on either side this is going to happen

Obviously there are angles we don't see but I see the red shirts swing first as per that video.

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'm not anti Christian (entirely) but when you openly advertise we're going to rally against LGBT and as anti abortionists you're going to get the response that was seen.  As well if you're confrontational on either side this is going to happen

Obviously there are angles we don't see but I see the red shirts swing first as per that video.

Again, those rally people surely advertised big time what they were about, in expectation of anti protestors showing up.  They were trolling, and caught their victims.  It's too bad that people just don't let these crazies have their rallies in (almost) complete obscurity.  If while presenting their views they break any laws with their speeches, then let the criminal courts take action.  

Calgary is a wanna be American city. Stems from the early oilpatch days in the 50's.  I know oil patch guys who went to the University of Wyoming in Laramie that when they put their cowboy duds on and show up in the bar like to speak in outrageous corny Yankee accents.  If it wasn't so laughable it would be pathetic.  Oh and Alberta owns all the oil in the world in the oilsands.  Fun to twist them up with comments like "we actually don't Harper allowed huge sell offs to foreign investment" or "ah Alberta does not set world prices" or the comment that really throws them a curve "Alberta really doesn't have a oil industry but rather a drilling industry."  Fun times over a bunch of beers.  It's Letterkenny Alberta style.

Archived