The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Mike Zalewski to play in Germany with Straubing Tigers

"Mike Zalewski will play for a new team next season.

The 24-year-old will also be playing in a different country.

Zalewski, a former New York State Player of the Year at New Hartford High School, has signed to the play for the Straubing Tigers, his agent Brian Bartlett confirmed in an email to the Observer-Dispatch on Monday morning. Straubing, which announced Zalewski’s signing on its website, is a team based in Germany and plays in the country’s top hockey league, the DEL.

The move comes after Zalewski, a forward who is known for his aggressive and determined style on both sides of the ice, played the majority of the last four seasons not far from where he grew up with the Utica Comets.

Zalewski was a restricted free agent after the 2016-17 season, but did not receive a qualifying offer from the Vancouver Canucks, giving him the opportunity to sign with another team and continue his career.

The move overseas also reunites him with 30-year-old brother, Steven, who is set to return to Straubing for a third consecutive season. Steven Zalewski has played in 102 regular-season games with Straubing. On their website, the team cited Steven Zalewski as helping join the Tigers.

“He is excited to play with his brother next year,” Mike Zalewski’s agent said in the email.

In three seasons, Mike Zalewski played a total of 167 regular-season games with the Comets accumulating 24 goals and 39 assists. Zalewski also played a key role on Utica’s special teams, including the Comets’ penalty kill unit the last few seasons. Mike Zalewski also played in 27 postseason games for the Comets."

http://www.uticaod.com/news/20170717/new-hartfords-mike-zalewski-signs-to-play-in-germany

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Not a bad move for him, he was quickly dropping down our depth charts.

This must be the reason he wasn't qualified. He looked good when called up and I thought he had a chance. Good for him that he gets to continue playing pro hockey alongside his brother.

He was capable at the AHL level. Usually guys that can play in NA tend to stay, or go to a EU league like the SEL, NLA, or KHL. The German league is actually a move down. Maybe he puts up the points to make himself marketable? Seems like the wrong choice to me, that is of course assuming that he wasn't offered another contract with the Comets.

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

He was capable at the AHL level. Usually guys that can play in NA tend to stay, or go to a EU league like the SEL, NLA, or KHL. The German league is actually a move down. Maybe he puts up the points to make himself marketable? Seems like the wrong choice to me, that is of course assuming that he wasn't offered another contract with the Comets.

That's quite possible, though Zalewski seemed to regress this past season after putting up some very promising numbers in the year prior. The article states that he's reuniting with his brother to play with the Straubing Tigers which likely factored into his decision to go to Germany instead of another AHL team/higher level Euro league.

I wonder if he was holding out to sign another AHL deal with the Comets but when the offer never came, that's when he decided to go to Germany? With the influx of young talent coming to the Comets this season, I assume Zalewski (much like Valk) was pushed out (for better or worse)?!?

Straubing is a nice spot for him for several reasons:

- fantastic atmosphere in the building, the crowd is very passionate and cheers a lot for their team, noise level is quite high. Crowd of ~ 5.800 people fit in the building.

- Straubing is a lovely small town in southern bavaria, nothing around this town just acres. Straubing is around 2 hours car drive away from Munich.

I expect the Zalewskis to visit the Oktoberfest in late September, beginning of October and have some excellent bavarian beer, not in small glasses of course. #

We drink beer from large pitchers ::D

- Expect the team as bottom feeder, they probably end up in the range of 10-14 (it's a 14 team league, with 54 games in the season).

- Straubing Tigers have one of the lowest budgets in the league. Top teams like Munich (sponsored by Red Bull -/Energy Drink),

and Mannheim (sponsored by SAP / Business Software) have a budget two to three times bigger than Straubing's budget.

- It's a small team which plays a speed game with a lot of small forwards, who really can skate and are very shifty.

Battle level is always higher than the battle level of the top teams.

- It's a high scoring team. like ANA in the NHL. Towards the end of the season when every point counts to earn a pre-playoff berth they tend to play a defensive first game

Wille Desjardins style ::D. Results of 1:0, 2:1 are quite common in this stage of the season.

- I think it will be a great experience for him to learn about the German Culture and of course the traditions

- Unfortunately the team lost his head coach, Larry Mitchell in this off-season to a rival (ingolstadt). Mitchell was key for the teams success with his excellent connections to

North America. He has an excellent eye for AHL players who turn out to be cornerstone players in the German League (like Darin Olver and Connor James).

- Straubings GM Jason Dunham is pretty happy to land a young and promising player like Mike Zalewski, especially considering the low budget. I think it was good luck that his

brother Steven is on the team. That helped a lot in landing him. 

On 7/17/2017 at 8:25 PM, Ossi Vaananen said:

Maybe he wants to be in Germany for a bit?

On 7/17/2017 at 11:25 AM, Ossi Vaananen said:

German league is better than you might think.   Top six on each team and top pairing D would all fit into AHL most likely without problem.   Not sure why it doesn't get the respect in North America but it is a good league.

Archived