The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flyers sign Nolan Patrick

7 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

I'm not high on Patrick. Reminds me a lot of Daigle. All flash and no finish. That said, I think he'll be a good 1C for the Flyers. 

Thats such a contradicting sentence, I don't even know where to begin. 

7 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

I was initially upset about the Draft Lottery screw us over AGAIN.. But the more I search about Pettersson the more I like about him and I hope he ends up being the best player in this Draft and stick it to the face of Gary Bettman

Yes, in some ways the Canucks actually picked from a good spot in a weak draft year. Instead of feeling the pressure to have to pick one of the top rated guys (who may only be considered better because they could play in the NHL right away), they actually were able to go out and get their guy.

As far as the draft and young players, I've personally moved on. We have a creative center in EP who I will definitely pay to watch. I can't wait until 2 years from now when the likes of Pettersson, Dahlen, Goldobin, Virtanen, Gaudette, Demko are all up in the big show joining Horvat, Granlund, Boeser, Juolevi, Hutton and Stecher. If we suck this year, we'll have a good chance at getting a top 2 pick in which case we get one of: Dahlin (generational) and Svechnikov (elite). Even a top 7 pick is pretty good (would love to get Merkley).

46 minutes ago, ice orca said:

This kid is going to be a great player, has all the tools, big, fast ,tough plays all the zones like a dog on a bone. If you have watched him play you wouldn't be throwing him under the buss so quick.

I agree he will be a good player, I'm more worried if he can get over being injury prone especially in a faster and bigger league.

This kid just has the worst luck. 

http://www.tsn.ca/flyers-patrick-sidelined-by-facial-infection-1.809352

Nolan Patrick, the second overall pick in last month's draft, has been sidelined again, this time by an infection in his face.

The Flyers confirmed Thursday Patrick would be held off the ice due to the issue.

Patrick was unable to take part in on-ice activities at the team's development camp earlier this month due to his recovery from a second abdominal surgery.

The 18-year-old played in only 33 games in the WHL last season due to a misdiagnosed sports hernia, leading to his second surgery in late June. 

The Brandon Wheat Kings centre was also unable to appear in the WHL playoffs due to a leg injury. He's broken his collarbone twice and underwent the first sports hernia surgery last summer. 

In the end, Patrick finished last season with 20 goals and 46 points on the season, well below his 41 goals and 102 points in 72 games the previous season.

He said before the draft he was hoping he got his injuries out of the way early in his playing career.

On 2017-07-18 at 5:25 PM, apollo said:

This isn't right. The canucks should have had #2 pick. 

I hope the hockey God's turn Elias into a legend and Nico / Nolan busts 

Why would you wish failure on someone? It's not their fault the lottery didn't go our way. Just be glad we got someone good and lets watch him grow. No need to go around needlessly wishing ill will on people.

On 7/17/2017 at 1:53 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Flyers have been an imbalanced cap-mess, for most of a decade. Media/league love them, so they don't get called out.

How many silly contracts have they signed? How much $$$ did they give Bryz to permanently holiday in Siberia? Meanwhile Bobo(who they traded for tape rolls) wins Vezinas. I love it!

Hopefully there are no bears in Siberia :o 

14 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This kid just has the worst luck. 

http://www.tsn.ca/flyers-patrick-sidelined-by-facial-infection-1.809352

Nolan Patrick, the second overall pick in last month's draft, has been sidelined again, this time by an infection in his face.

The Flyers confirmed Thursday Patrick would be held off the ice due to the issue.

Patrick was unable to take part in on-ice activities at the team's development camp earlier this month due to his recovery from a second abdominal surgery.

The 18-year-old played in only 33 games in the WHL last season due to a misdiagnosed sports hernia, leading to his second surgery in late June. 

The Brandon Wheat Kings centre was also unable to appear in the WHL playoffs due to a leg injury. He's broken his collarbone twice and underwent the first sports hernia surgery last summer. 

In the end, Patrick finished last season with 20 goals and 46 points on the season, well below his 41 goals and 102 points in 72 games the previous season.

He said before the draft he was hoping he got his injuries out of the way early in his playing career.

Jeez.

Who gets a face infection? Seriously. Am I the only one that sees fear in every photo opp he has participated in post draft? His injuries are going to destroy his confidence and creativity. It's what happened to Virtanen IMO. The injury itself is easy to recover from, the fear of getting another one is the challenge. They better send this kid back to Manitoba. 

Archived