The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Best case scenerio

1 minute ago, MJDDawg said:

It's possible true. But remember, I'm not talking about "making it" in the Virtanen sense where they play their 9 games or even play more than 9 games with the team burning a year of their ELC, then getting sent back down. I'm talking making the team for good  (say at least 2 seasons).

I remember seeing historical analysis showing that around 40% of first round picks went on to an NHL career, while after the first round the percentage dropped to about a 25% success rate for picks.

All things being equal, if even 50% of JB's picks (or picks from a trade) go on to an NHL career, a statue should be built in his honour. And I'd be at the unveiling to celebrate.

That's interesting, a lot of 1st round picks never actually make the NHL, and then a player like Hansen has a very solid career as a 9th rounder lol Basically a crap shoot. This is where a keen scouting eye comes in handy. Looking at the players in the system, I've been waiting for Subban to make the jump, and wondered when Jasek and Cederholm would join the team lol I think some of Benning's signings/picks may turn out well (Chatfield, Gadjovich, Rathbone), while others (Zhukenov, Stukel, DiPietro) may not.

APuckalypse NOW!   Drop the bomb, said Kurtz..trade them all.

- Tanev & Baer to TO, for JVR, Carrick, Kapanen & 2018 1st

- JVR, Granlund, Brisebois to MTL, for 2019 1st & Juulsen(both get local kids)

- Hutton to Washington, for Orpik & a 2018 1st

- At TDL, Edler pkg to OTT. Return includes Harpur & 2019 1st

Next 2 drafts(2018 & 2019) we have 3 1st rounders to round out rebuild. I like that they've signed many FA's. This is how they bridge the time-gap to all this youth.

LINEUP:

Burmistrov/Rodin - Bo - Loui

B/R - Hank - Goldy/Kapanen

Daniel - Sutter - Gagner

Gaunce - Chappy - Megna/Molino

***Hold back Boeser, Virtanen & Dahlen from this tire-fire***(they can come up later, perhaps)

Best case, eh...ok

Baer - Bo - Boeser         all three get 20 or more, with Boeser flirting with 30 and ending up with 28. Bo goes over 65 points in scoring to lead the team

Eriksson - Gagner - Sutter         Gagner gets 50 again, Sutter scores 20+, Eriksson plays well, scores 45 total but not quite 20 goals

Sedin - Sedin - Granlund       the twins either: accept a trade with us retaining 50% at the trade deadline, or they retire after the season. I would rather them not keep trying and end up as a shell of what they were.  Granlund plays well....and is traded at the deadline (I'll get to that)

Gaunce - Burmistrov - Virtanen          Virt plays well, scores 10-15, absolutely runs over several people throughout the year. Gets elevated to 3rd line after the trade deadline, plays even better with increased ice time. Gaunce traded, Burmistrov plays well, is a keeper.

Around the 65-70 game mark, Gaudette's season is done, he signs with us. His wingers become Virt and Molino (elevated from Utica). That line shows that our depth is becoming more skilled, as all three score on at least a 35 point pace over the last few games. This leaves room for one other call up...Zach McEwen, who shows the team that he is what Grenier should have been...big, fast, a mean streak and very willing to shoot first.

Del Zotto - Tanev       Del Zotto plays above his head on D, becomes a #1 PP QB and scores 10+/40+

Hutton - Guddy          Hutt figures out his overall game, plays so well that he covers for Guddy's issues and leaves him to do what he does best...keep the crease clear!

Stetch - Edler             Edler traded at deadline, playing "meh". Stetch gets injured somewhere around game 30, Pedan comes in and finally figures it out, making Edler expendable. Weircioch plays well in limited minutes, making sure that only Biega gets any play at all. This allows Brisebois, McEneny, et al, to play major minutes and maybe make Guddy expendable, if he tries to  hold the team up for ransom.

Markstrom and Nilsson     Markie plays decent enough, but...Nilsson plays really good. Markie does get his first (and second) career shutouts (finally!). After the season is over, Markie is traded, as Demko played "out of this world" in Utica, leading them to a Calder win in the AHL.

Trades - Granlund + Gaunce to...some Eastern team that needs both a quick goal or two, along with depth for a playoff run. We get, call it a 2nd + 4th this year, conditional 5th the next (condition is how deep that team goes). Edler to the Rangers...Edler figures out that the team really doesn't want him (he's said all along he wants to be here, unless he isn't wanted). His old coach jumps at the chance. We trade Edler + Subban to the Rangers for...1st this year, 2nd + 5th next year.

Comes time for the lottery. We don't get first, but we do get second. Florida, which stank the joint out all year, actually earns and keeps the 1st overall and they take the Russian kid, leaving us with Dahlin. Several dozen bricks in the pavement in Gastown crack under the pressure of the day long party downtown!

Just before the draft, Benning pulls off a shocker, and finds someone to take Eriksson. We retain 40%, and get a 3rd round pick for him.

Oh yeah...we just miss the playoffs. Gaudette takes the award for best college player, Petersson gains 15 pounds and by the end of the year it becomes apparent he actually is better than Glass (or Vilardi, or Mittlestadt), and likely better than Patrick. Demko wins the playoff MVP for Utica, Juolevi ends his year at 205 pounds and becomes dominant. Gadjovich goes to the same skating instructor as Horvat, and by end of year, scores 65 goals and is SCARY good! The power play ends up 14th overall, PK ends up 10th.

8 hours ago, Hortankin said:

When your a Gudbranson away from the cup you will. Tampa seen the real Gudbranson unlike most people on CDC that rip him apart over last year

Do you know who the GM of Tampa is? he sure as hell knows Gudbranson is not worth Sergachev and a 1st.

If some of these trial wingers and even Goldobin and Boeser have good years, it might make Baertschi or Granlund quite expendable. Two-way 20 goal scoring young wingers are fantastic, and we might be able to trade one to a cup contending team for a young top defensive prospect. If we've got plenty of wingers and not many young D-men, it makes sense to make a swap and balance things out.

Baertschi or Granlund plus a 2nd round pick could easily get us a 20-something year old future top-4 defensive prospect. I'd be looking over to Philadelphia or Anaheim in particular.

On 7/18/2017 at 0:18 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Yes, let's say the Canucks top 10 prospects eventually make the team:

Boeser

Pettersson

Juolevi

Demko

Dahlen

Gaudette

Goldobin

Virtanen

Lockwood

Gadjovich

What becomes of Lind, MacEwen, Stukel, Zhukenov, Jasek, Palmu, etc? Will these players ever play in the NHL? Perhaps trades? (I didn't include D in this list, as Brisebois, Gunnarsson and Rathbone may play one day)

This is the ideal situation coming out of a rebuild, and one we have never been in.  If we have our core prospects develop, and a few fringe prospects excel, we may not have room for all of them on the NHL roster.  In this case we have 2 options:  We trade roster players for picks to open up space for prospects, or we trade prospects for roster players to fill holes when we are competitive.  Ottawa was able to do this with the Dahlen/Burrows trade in order to fill a need on their roster, without decimating their prospect pool or giving up a high pick.  Dahlen is a great prospect, but was expendable due to the depth of Ottawa's prospect pool.  

The Canucks have never had any prospect depth when we are competeing, so we have always had to trade high picks to fill needs.  In the end we had very few high end prospects, no high picks, and a rental player.  This is not a sustainable model at all, and the main reason why our championship windows have been so sort.

The fact that we may not have room for all of our prospects is an amazing problem to have, and sets the Canucks up for a long run of success once we are on the tail end of the rebuild.

Archived