The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Why hasn't anyone taken Kole Lind?"

3 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

His demeanor changed in interviews since the whole PK tampering thing

Even before that, he's monotone. I think he's an awesome GM, but I'd probably try and hang myself if I had to be on a long conference call with him. ::D

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Even before that, he's monotone. I think he's an awesome GM, but I'd probably try and hang myself if I had to be on a long conference call with him. ::D

True enough.. but he is arguably thee best GM we ever had.. time will tell but it looks very promising

Just now, Hortankin said:

True enough.. but he is arguably thee best GM we ever had.. time will tell but it looks very promising

I'm still a Pat Quinn fan, but Jim is getting up there. Definitely has our scouting department running better than ever before, I think that's because he utilizes them to give him feedback and then he goes and sees guys play for himself and then goes on gut instinct on who has what it takes to succeed.

No matter how good a scout is, as GM, I think its important to get a chance to judge a player for yourself before you select them. Especially for first 2 or 3 rounds.

10 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I love JB as GM, but listening to him, to me he always sounds like he's telling someone that their dog died...doesn't matter how happy he is :)

he'ld do better if he giggled and slapped his knee and sound like howie meeker, holy gee whiz.

Just now, smithers joe said:

he'ld do better if he giggled and slapped his knee and sound like howie meeker, holy gee whiz.

Jiminy Cricket, just shoot the puck at the net, how many times have I gotta tell these kids, just shoot the puck at the net....

2 hours ago, Hortankin said:

Quinn was and I still think is, the benchmark for Canuck GM's. Without him, very likely we wouldn't even have a team, or if we did, it wouldn't be the Canucks anymore. He made a couple of bad decisions, but he took one of the consistently worst teams of the 70's and 80's and turned them into a team that could, on any given night, beat the best teams in the league, highly entertaining team to watch as well.

Burke was good, but between letting his ego get in the way at times and being unable to ever address the glaring hole that was our goaltending under his reign, removes him (imo) from any consideration of best Canuck GM.

Gillis had the most dominant Canuck team in history, he inherited a lot of it from Burke/Nonis though (Sedins, Kesler, Luongo/Schneider, Edler, Salo etc;) he did make some key moves though that did push us over the top for us to become that team though. Between his horrible drafting and pissing away of draft picks that really screwed us over long-term though, don't see him as our best either.

JB, far too early to say he's the best GM we've had, or the worst, or pretty much anything. His drafting looks good so far, but we'll need another 3-4 years to really see how it all turns out. Outside of his drafting though, there really isn't much to say that he's our best GM. Success will always be tied to winning, and win we have not under JB. He's made some good moves, he's made some bad ones (Eriksson signing, yes I do think he'll bounce back, that term is just ugly though).

Saying he's our best/worst GM at this time is pretty much saying Boeser is our best/worst pick. TOO EARLY TO TELL!

14 minutes ago, Glory_Days said:

Quinn was and I still think is, the benchmark for Canuck GM's. Without him, very likely we wouldn't even have a team, or if we did, it wouldn't be the Canucks anymore. He made a couple of bad decisions, but he took one of the consistently worst teams of the 70's and 80's and turned them into a team that could, on any given night, beat the best teams in the league, highly entertaining team to watch as well.

Burke was good, but between letting his ego get in the way at times and being unable to ever address the glaring hole that was our goaltending under his reign, removes him (imo) from any consideration of best Canuck GM.

Gillis had the most dominant Canuck team in history, he inherited a lot of it from Burke/Nonis though (Sedins, Kesler, Luongo/Schneider, Edler, Salo etc;) he did make some key moves though that did push us over the top for us to become that team though. Between his horrible drafting and pissing away of draft picks that really screwed us over long-term though, don't see him as our best either.

JB, far too early to say he's the best GM we've had, or the worst, or pretty much anything. His drafting looks good so far, but we'll need another 3-4 years to really see how it all turns out. Outside of his drafting though, there really isn't much to say that he's our best GM. Success will always be tied to winning, and win we have not under JB. He's made some good moves, he's made some bad ones (Eriksson signing, yes I do think he'll bounce back, that term is just ugly though).

Saying he's our best/worst GM at this time is pretty much saying Boeser is our best/worst pick. TOO EARLY TO TELL!

His trades have been gold as well. Only real question marks was the contract signings and I don't think they're half as bad as people think considering the current state of the team.

Great analysis btw

I can't be the only one - Kolelin(d) - Colon: The long, coiled, tubelike organ that removes water from digested food. The remaining material, solid waste called stool, moves through the colon to the rectum and leaves the body through the anus. Also known as large bowel and large intestine. (from Webster's dictionary)

As in "Holy bejesus the Canucks just got coloned" Or "Kole Lind"(ed)

That's why no one had taken him - they don't like butt jokes or potty humour, well I do and I think it's awesome. 

I'm sooo stoked we got coloned, sorry, Kole Lind!

Edit- It's a fantastic hockey name and could be the butt of many jokes...

2 hours ago, Hortankin said:

His trades have been gold as well. Only real question marks was the contract signings and I don't think they're half as bad as people think considering the current state of the team.

Great analysis btw

Just curious for myself to see what his trades look like.

Garrison, Costello 2015 7th round pick for 2014 2nd round pick - I like it, Garrison had one good year after the trade but has been downhill since.

2014 3rd round pick for Derek Dorsett - The signing I think was a bit much, the trade itself I don't mind though.

Kesler, 2015 3rd round pick for Sbisa, Bonino, 1st and 3rd - Kesler did handcuff us here, what we got in return wasn't terrible, wasn't great, didn't have a lot of options though. (Picks turned into McCaan, part of the Guddy trade, and our Russian Tree Tryamkin)

2014 (Lightning) 2nd round pick for Linden Vey - At the time I liked it, so did many others, looking back it was a waste, win some lose some.

Mallet, 2016 3rd round pick for Pedan - At the time trade didn't mean a lot to me, is basically a 3rd for Pedan, so for that I do like it.

2015 2nd round pick for Sven Baertschi - At the time I REALLY liked this move, still like it. Chance of us getting a player of Sven's caliber in 2nd round was slim.

Eddie Lack for 2015 3rd and 2016 7th round picks - This was a hard one for lot of people, since Eddie was such a fan favorite, looking back though, JB did gooded.

Bonino, Clendening, 2016 2nd round pick for Sutter, conditional pick??? *shrug* - Take the 2nd out of the deal and no one complains about it. Contract JB gave Sutter may have been a bit much, but not end of the World.

Shinkaruk for Granlund - I'll admit, I was a bit bleh on this trade, didn't hate it, but wasn't enamored with it either...JB and Canuck nation are laughing now though. *wipes egg off face*

McCaan, 2016 2nd and 2016 4th round picks for Erik Gudbranson and 2016 5th round pick - Gud hasn't been a revelation for us, but he has steadied our D-core. Right now Nucks look good, depends on what McCaan ends up becoming.

Burrows for Dahlen - Was shocked we got a prospect of Dahlen's caliber straight up for Burrows of 2016, even if Dahlen doesn't pan out the value he had during the time this trade was made was that of a high 2nd/low 1st.

Hansen for Goldobin, 2017 4th round pick - Another good trade for Benning, Hansen had good value with his style of play and contract. If Goldobin doesn't pan out, trade kind of sucks, but again at time trade was made he had value of a high 2nd/low 1st, picks are never a sure thing either.

Hmmm...ok, I was wrong :picard:

JB, for most part, has made some pretty good to great trades so far. I'm still not 100% sold on some of the extensions he's given, also that Eriksson signing isn't pretty, but yeah, his trades are pretty darn good.

@Hortankin I humbly offer my apologies :)

14 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'm still a Pat Quinn fan, but Jim is getting up there. Definitely has our scouting department running better than ever before, I think that's because he utilizes them to give him feedback and then he goes and sees guys play for himself and then goes on gut instinct on who has what it takes to succeed.

No matter how good a scout is, as GM, I think its important to get a chance to judge a player for yourself before you select them. Especially for first 2 or 3 rounds.

pat quinn was considered to be an excellent coach, but some people weren't as enamoured with him as gm. people tend to judge a gm's moves by what they would have done or in hindsight. no gm has all perfect moves or draft picks. i still believe that sutter, ericksson and gudbranson will prove one way or the other if benning made the right moves.

Archived