The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) Brendan Batchelor the new play by play voice?

jono2009

If true, looks like local boy Batchelor is up for a big promotion! Thoughts? I like this. Jon Abbott is not the voice for play by play here. I dread being in the car and wanting to listen to the games when he is calling them. He sounds too much like a fan rather than a proper commentator. Maybe he can stay and be a sports reporter but with TSN 1040 losing the games, they will likely be stockpiled for hosts of current shows. Where will he land if this is true? I wonder if Sat Shah could join as a play by play or if he will land his own show with 650.

Batchelor leaves Giants, appears headed to Sportsnet 650 to call Canucks games

Brendan Batchelor has called Vancouver Giants games with Bill Wilms for four seasons.

Brendan Batchelor has called Vancouver Giants games with Bill Wilms for four seasons.Vancouver Giants photo

Various sources suggest Brendan Batchelor will be the next radio voice of the Vancouver Canucks.

Sportsnet 650, who will take over broadcasting the games from TSN 1040 this fall, has yet to name a play-by-play team. Batchelor, 28, has called Vancouver Giants’ games the past four seasons. According to various sources, he resigned from the WHL club on Monday and is refusing to say where he’s going, other than to admit he starts his new gig in August.

Batchelor, 28, had an interview with Canucks and 1040 brass prior to the 2014-15 season, when they were looking for a play-by-play man to replace the departing Rick Ball. Jon Abbott got the gig then, and had it through this past season.

Is Batchelor the next guy? It certainly looks like it.

“You do the math,” said a source who wished to remain anonymous.

Batchelor, a BCIT product, has worked as an announcer, reporter and producer for TSN 1040 as well since October, 2008. He’s also done play-by-play for Whitecaps FC2.

Sportsnet 650 announced its morning show featuring James Cybulski, Steve Darling and Mira Laurence earlier this month. Other announcements are expected in the coming weeks. The station is expected to be up and running in September.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/batchelor-leaves-giants-appears-headed-to-sportsnet-650-to-call-canucks-games

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I absolutely hated the guys after Shorty.  I'll give this guy a go, but why not just put Shorty back on the radio, or is he still the TV guy?

Shorthouse is with Sportsnet and does the TV broadcasts. I liked Rick Ball......found him very likable and called the game the way a commentator should...Jon Abbott on the other hand....

Certainly not his worst call but that's all I could find on Youtube :)

He's undoubtedly the best pick for the job. I thought he should have got the job when Ball left. Abbott always seemed one of those guys the Toronto bosses were grooming for something bigger rather than the best available person for the job at hand. 

43 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I really enjoyed the 1040 broadcasts.  Dave Tomlinson is a great colour commentator, and you can tell he follows this team very closely.  So is he out of a job now?  

I find Tomlinson pretty good for the most part, but the part where he tries to make a rhyme or use alliteration after a player's name/number when they score makes me cringe big time. 

For example, when Jared McCann scored his first NHL goal, his call was "Oh what fun for 91!" 

56 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

I find Tomlinson pretty good for the most part, but the part where he tries to make a rhyme or use alliteration after a player's name/number when they score makes me cringe big time. 

For example, when Jared McCann scored his first NHL goal, his call was "Oh what fun for 91!" 

haha yeah I forgot about those.  You must have a boatload of fun listening to John Garret I bet

really surprised they're opting not to just simulcast the games like they used to since they now own all of the tv and radio broadcast rights. why pay another (inferior) team to do the same job you're already paying someone else to do?

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

haha yeah I forgot about those.  You must have a boatload of fun listening to John Garret I bet

I actually find Garrett quite funny. To me, he comes off as funny without even trying, probably because of the way he talks and his banter with Shorty. Whereas Tomlinson seems like he tries a little too hard. 

5 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I really enjoyed the 1040 broadcasts.  Dave Tomlinson is a great colour commentator, and you can tell he follows this team very closely.  So is he out of a job now?  

Tomlinson was one of the only people at 1040 that I thought did a good job.  Knows the game, has some interesting stories from his playing days, modeled his color somewhat after the style of Larscheid.

Archived