The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Redo: 2009 NHL Entry Draft - #1

2009 NHL Re-Draft  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you select with the #1 overall pick in the 2009 NHL Draft?

• John Tavares (1st)
    • Victor Hedman (2nd)
    • Matt Duchene (3rd)
    • Evander Kane (4th)
    • Brayden Schenn (5th)
    • Oliver Ekman-Larsson (6th)
    • Nazem Kadri (7th)
    • Chris Kreider (19th)
    • Marcus Johansson (24th)
    • Ryan O'Reilly (33rd)

This poll is closed to new votes

Welcome to the 'Redo Draft' series! We will re-draft the first round (30 picks) of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.

How this works is, you vote for the player that you would pick #1 overall from the 2009 NHL Draft based on what they have accomplished in their careers.

I have added the player's original draft selection beside their name in the poll to give us a comparison.

Please remember to nominate a player drafted in 2009 to be added to the voting list by posting below.

Voting: John Tavares

- Ranked first in points in his draft class

- Has elite offensive talent and willingness to play in all areas of the ice

- Became the fourth player in Islanders history to score at least 73 points in a season at age 21 or younger

getty6-300x300.png

Nominating: Tyson Barrie

- Has developed a reputation as a defenceman with a nose for the net

- In the 2013-14 season, Barrie's 13 goals were the most by an Avalanche defenceman since John-Michael Liles scored 14 in 2006-07

- Scored 53 points in 2014-15 and made him the fourth Avalanche defenceman to score 50 in a season

getty5-300x300.png

Tough choice between Tavares and Hedman. Good #1 D are rarer, and Hedman is now a Norris finalist (and should only get better), so I'm picking him.

Nominating Ryan Ellis. Plenty of good choices, but he's the best all around D of those not already in the poll IMO.

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hedman put up more points than Tavares while shutting down the best players in the league.

It's really not even close. Hedman all day every day. Players like him come around alot less often than players like Tavares.

yup me too, Hedman. 

I'll go with Hedman, just slightly over Tavares. The main reason is that #1 Dmen are not easy to come by. Yes Tavares has accumulated a lot of points, but...it seems to be easier to obtain first line players than first pairing players, especially #1 Dmen.

Tavares but by a slight margin. Giving it to him because he is defintely one of the few "franchise" players in the league. Victor Hedman is a close second. He's really blossomed into an incredible point producing, elite defenseman. 

A few years ago Tavares would have been clear-cut #1, but the past 3-4 years Hedman has shown his elite potential. I think Tavares has peaked offensively as an 80 point guy which is amazing don't get me wrong but I would take Hedman based on the fact he is still reaching his ceiling.

I find it interesting that dynamic forwards usually post their best offensive years between 18-25 where as elite D usually post their best years between 24-31

Nominate Ryan Ellis

Archived