The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Teens Laugh and Taunt Man as he Drowns

nucklehead

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/video-shows-teens-watching-laughing-as-man-drowns-in-fla/ar-AAoz0Av?li=AAadgLE&ocid=spartanntp

But it's all good as there's no law against it.

Authorities in Florida say a group of teens watched and laughed as a man drowned in a retention pond last week.

Jamel Dunn drowned in a retention pond in the city of Cocoa on July 9. Cocoa police say they later discovered a group of teens recorded the 31-year-old’s drowning on video. The video was released by the state attorney’s office Thursday and audio was published by Florida Today . The teens can be heard laughing at Dunn, telling him he’s going die and they weren’t going to help him.

Police identified and interviewed the five teens involved. Cocoa Police Chief Mike Cataloupe calls their actions ‘‘utterly inhumane and cruel,’’ but says criminal charges won’t be filed because state law doesn’t require people give or call for help when someone’s in distress.

5 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I get that Florida doesn't have Good Samaritan laws but when does depraved indifference come into play?

I'm no lawyer, but I think the difference is that they didn't do anything to cause the situation in the first place.  I think they would have had to push him in and left him to drown for that to apply.

Maybe the law needs to be expanded.

That's utterly disgusting...

Seeing as the cops interviewed the pathetic, putrid, waste of lives ahem..."Teenagers", their parents must know about this then.

If I had a child and they did this, would be hard for me not to hold a pillow over their face at night and rid the world of a future serial killer.

Five, FIVE of them, not a single one thought to help or call for help.

Kay, I'm done. Nature needs to "Children of Men" us and prevent all new births.

....I'm extremely mad and would like nothing better then to have a bunch of people watch and do nothing as I do "things" to these teens.

58 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

where's the good samaritan law when you need it?

lest we forget

massachusetts.png?w=300

My first thought as well, but too bad the teenagers didn't end up like this for such a callous inaction:

923-24-finale1.png

Seriously, that was a person they could have helped.  ...

There's somethin' wrong with the world today
I don't know what it is
Something's wrong with our eyes
We're seein' things in a different way
And God knows it ain't his
It sure ain't no surprise

24 minutes ago, Glory_Days said:

That's utterly disgusting...

Seeing as the cops interviewed the pathetic, putrid, waste of lives ahem..."Teenagers", their parents must know about this then.

If I had a child and they did this, would be hard for me not to hold a pillow over their face at night and rid the world of a future serial killer.

Five, FIVE of them, not a single one thought to help or call for help.

Kay, I'm done. Nature needs to "Children of Men" us and prevent all new births.

....I'm extremely mad and would like nothing better then to have a bunch of people watch and do nothing as I do "things" to these teens.

Seems extreme, but certainly a lack of empathy is a hallmark of a sociopath. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if people like Gacy and Bundy started out this way.

I've raised three daughters to adulthood and I'm positive they'd be as appalled as the rest of us, as would, I think, the vast majority of young people. My experience is that in situations like this, you have one or two "ringleaders" and a group of followers. The followers might not share the traits of the ringleaders, (at least not to the same extent) but go along with the behavior in an attempt to be accepted as part of the group.

Even if it might be for all the wrong reasons.

The video that the sacks of animal excrement took of the man drowning.  It's not close up or graphic but it's obvious what's happening.

*warning* Strong language and if you get angry after watching the video, don't blame me.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Seems extreme, but certainly a lack of empathy is a hallmark of a sociopath. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if people like Gacy and Bundy started out this way.

I've raised three daughters to adulthood and I'm positive they'd be as appalled as the rest of us, as would, I think, the vast majority of young people. My experience is that in situations like this, you have one or two "ringleaders" and a group of followers. The followers might not share the traits of the ringleaders, (at least not to the same extent) but go along with the behavior in an attempt to be accepted as part of the group.

Even if it might be for all the wrong reasons.

Nope, just listen to the video.  The whole group were having a ball watching a human being drown.

1 minute ago, DADDYROCK said:

To me that sounds like terrorism.

SO SAD TO LIVE IN AMERICA NOW!

I stubbed my toe on the stairs...  Carpenter terrorism!!!

People have beaten that word to death by using it for things that obviously have nothing to do with the meaning of the word.

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

I'm no lawyer, but I think the difference is that they didn't do anything to cause the situation in the first place.  I think they would have had to push him in and left him to drown for that to apply.

Maybe the law needs to be expanded.

I am a lawyer, and you're correct. 

There is no duty to rescue in this situation as the kids played no part in the victim being put into the position that led to his death. 

This is the case everywhere in Canada, except Quebec, as well. There is no duty to rescue, but Good Samaritan laws exist in some provinces which afford some protection to those who TRY to help. But there is still no standing obligation to help people in need - even in BC.

Its a tricky balance because its feels disgustingly immoral what these kids did, but at the same time, you have to protect the autonomy of individuals to not force them to do something they don't want to do - particularly when they haven't broken any laws.

They found an applicable law.  It's not a slam dunk by any means but those sacks of animal excrement may at least face some consequences even if it ends up just them having to face the scorn of the general public.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/406.12

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/21/us/florida-teens-drowning-man/index.html

Archived