The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Teens Laugh and Taunt Man as he Drowns

nucklehead

6 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Just a symptom of the world we live in and how many people are/were raised.  

The destruction of the social order, lack of basic morality, indifference to your fellow human, bad ethnics, non-existent etiquette.  

I think and hope you meant to say "Ethics" moral principles that govern a person's behavior or the conducting of an activity.

Not "Ethnics" a member of an ethnic minority.

17 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

I can't help thinking it took a village to raise a group of unfeeling creeps like this. 

That's the thing, there is barely a village anymore.  It's social media and YouTube.

5 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

damn, you guys are brave. if i were a stoned teenager--hell, even as a sober adult--the last thing i would do is jump in a large retention pond in FLORIDA of all places to save some stranger who just walked in on his own. call 911? sure, but I'm saying that as a sober white dude in canada

I don't think it's as much of not jumping in to rescue the guy as it is the unwillingness to call 911, and even moreso, the laughing and taunting.

Who knows if these guys can actually swim? It's all just speculation at this point, but it's their cavalier attitude towards someone drowning that has people upset.

I was more horrified until I watched the video.  I didn't hear him calling for help. I don't believe the kids were sure if he was really drowning, or what the heck he was doing.  The guy was way out there, and it had to be deliberate. Anyone trying to save him would have likely ended up drowned themselves. Definitely risking your own life to try and save someone who is trying to commit suicide is above and beyond. Oh...and calling the guy out in the middle of the pond a dumbass is a good call...you got out there, now swim the hell back so we don;t have to watch you drown.  This wasn't a guy accidentally falling in the water pleading for help.  

They should have called 911...but they hesitated then it was too late....then what?  The kids, failed but hindsight is involved.

I probably missed things, but I am not watching it again.

I agree that this is awful.

I completely  disagree that you can just chalk this up to 'the way the world is now'.

In my opinion that stance is indicative of someone who watches too much news, and has actually formed their opinion of humanity based off on what they see from it.

News is about ratings.

REAL journalists, scientists, and psychologists have done far more extensive research into the state of humanity and when they publish articles they tend to have actual headlines like "violence trending downwards in the following countries in the past decade" or "violence trending upward in these countries" and they go into great detail on what they have found to be causing these trends.

"Teens film and tease as a man drowns"

This is clickbait journalism and that headline was posted to generate clicks on their website so people would share and share and generate ad revenue and discuss it adnasuem and tell all their friends and get even more clicks and more ad revenue and more ratings and more money. What is the story? Someone did something terrible again? Wait. There's a video? Share share share.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that 5 kids like this have never existed before. This isn't a new breed. People like this have existed time and time again and will continue to exist. The only difference is it gets shared around the world in half a second and like a carcrash people can't look away. You are literally letting rating and money driven journalists decide the way you see the world.

Do yourself a favor a don't watch crap like this.

I suppose it's possible that he was trying to commit suicide based on the reports of him having a fallout with family/fiancé.

but suicide by pond drowning?  I dunno.

either way, the mockery by these teens is as everyone has already described.

if I see someone in that situation I'd ask if they needed help.  Easy way to determine going in or just calling 911 of it's an attempted suicide.

9 hours ago, Lancaster said:

The destruction of the social order, lack of basic morality, indifference to your fellow human, bad ethics, non-existent etiquette.  

This:

1 hour ago, bohoforpresident said:

I agree that this is awful.

I completely  disagree that you can just chalk this up to 'the way the world is now'.

In my opinion that stance is indicative of someone who watches too much news, and has actually formed their opinion of humanity based off on what they see from it.

News is about ratings.

REAL journalists, scientists, and psychologists have done far more extensive research into the state of humanity and when they publish articles they tend to have actual headlines like "violence trending downwards in the following countries in the past decade" or "violence trending upward in these countries" and they go into great detail on what they have found to be causing these trends.

"Teens film and tease as a man drowns"

This is clickbait journalism and that headline was posted to generate clicks on their website so people would share and share and generate ad revenue and discuss it adnasuem and tell all their friends and get even more clicks and more ad revenue and more ratings and more money. What is the story? Someone did something terrible again? Wait. There's a video? Share share share.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that 5 kids like this have never existed before. This isn't a new breed. People like this have existed time and time again and will continue to exist. The only difference is it gets shared around the world in half a second and like a carcrash people can't look away. You are literally letting rating and money driven journalists decide the way you see the world.

Do yourself a favor a don't watch crap like this.

This sort of sick behaviour is not new, nor is it a trend on 'where our society is headed'.

If anything, society is trending away from this sort of behaviour. It only seems more widespread because access to information about sick garbage like this is broadcast from every corner of the globe, 24/7 and available in your hand, at your whim.

"406.12 Duty to report; prohibited acts.It is the duty of any person in the district where a death occurs, including all municipalities and unincorporated and federal areas, who becomes aware of the death of any person occurring under the circumstances described in s. 406.11 to report such death and circumstances forthwith to the district medical examiner. Any person who knowingly fails or refuses to report such death and circumstances, who refuses to make available prior medical or other information pertinent to the death investigation, or who, without an order from the office of the district medical examiner, willfully touches, removes, or disturbs the body, clothing, or any article upon or near the body, with the intent to alter the evidence or circumstances surrounding the death, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

History.s. 7, ch. 70-232; s. 353, ch. 71-136."

Most lawyers will be able to get this charge dropped as it says "Any person who knowingly fails or refuses to report such death and circumstances". So the lawyer gets up and says the teens did not know this law, then the kids get up and say they did not know about this law. Case dismissed. Waste of taxes to have a trial to try to appease the outraged.

I've noticed that many times, to get something done or changed, someone has to die. Ie it is much easier to get a stop sign or crosswalk put in where somebody has already died.
This incident may lead to a change in the law regarding such events.

Just now, riffraff said:

Sarcasm rrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiight????????

Just a wee bit.  Another "good" use of social media.

I can understand @J.R.'s point above, but I'm not 100% sure I agree.  Maybe 90% :) .  It is true that our current (social and normal) media let's us all see this kind of depraved behavior like we never did before, and not only do we get crap like this here, but also people posting themselves murdering people.  But considering the more liberal upbringing most of us get now, where younger people have more exposure to more violence on TV, online, and video games, it would be interesting to see measurements of that impact.

And to be clear, I'm not saying this from some superior pedestal thinking that we have to cut out all this violence... I was allowed to watch a lot of violent stuff when I was young, and enjoy Game of Thrones as much as the next person.  It would just be interesting to see if that matters.  To part of what I think J.R.'s point is, kids were quite capable of some scary stuff back in the old days, before all the tech mentioned above came into play.

On 07/21/2017 at 4:42 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

Seems extreme, but certainly a lack of empathy is a hallmark of a sociopath. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if people like Gacy and Bundy started out this way.

I've raised three daughters to adulthood and I'm positive they'd be as appalled as the rest of us, as would, I think, the vast majority of young people. My experience is that in situations like this, you have one or two "ringleaders" and a group of followers. The followers might not share the traits of the ringleaders, (at least not to the same extent) but go along with the behavior in an attempt to be accepted as part of the group.

Even if it might be for all the wrong reasons.

Even worse.

17 hours ago, Lancaster said:

The destruction of the social order, lack of basic morality, indifference to your fellow human, bad ethics, non-existent etiquette.  

All of those are symptoms of destruction of family structure.

I decide to wait a bit to post this, just to let the emotions die down a bit and this will probably still be downvoted like crazy. Now I am going to predicate this by saying I am not excusing anyone's actions here but maybe I can, at least anecdotally, help to understand why these kids acted the way they did.

I used to live in Evanston, Illinois and for those of you that may not know of it, it is a suburb of Chicago with a predominately black population. During my time there almost all my friends were African American. 

Just as a note, out of all of my friends I was the only one that knew how to swim, none of them would ever go past their waists in water. And I have no doubt that the kids in this video couldn't swim either, so rescue was never an option.

One thing that I learned while living and every day hanging out with black teenagers is that most of them suck in stressful situations. When something is too stressful for them to deal with they always resorted to mockery. I had one friend that was a master of this... if anyone ever got hurt or had a bad thing happen at home to them it was always straight to mocking them. He had an amazingly quick wit and was definitely a leader of sorts of our group of friends. 

Then when we were in a group and something stressful came up it became almost like a game to see who could come up with the best jokes and who could get the best response from taunts/jeers. If anyone showed the slightest compassion or sympathy for the target, they would find themselves quickly becoming another target. So you either joined in or shut up. 

I learnt very quickly never to go to my friends with problems, at the very least not in a group setting.

Often we would get into things that weren't always on the legal side, nothing major, but not a single one of my friends looked at law enforcement as anything but oppressors and looking for ways to harass them. I have no doubt that no matter what my friends would have witnessed, while doing something illegal (like smoking weed), would they ever consider calling the cops. 

To this day I am still in contact with most of my friends from Evanston, they are great people, some became doctors, lawyers, even a police officer. Most of them with wonderful families.

So I write all this because, yes these kids made a mistake, a mistake that if my friends were in a similar circumstance, most likely would have made too.

I believe these are probably decent kids, kids that had no idea what to do other than what they have always done and I hope that all their lives won't become destroyed because of their stupid actions there. 

Anyway I just thought I would share my experiences and maybe help some to see that most likely this wasn't a case of a bunch of sociopaths witnessing a tragedy, but rather a group of kids that really had no idea what to do and so they ended up doing what they did on the video. 

I'm going to go out on a wild limb and say these kids were stoned af and not using their best judgement.

In all fairness though I suspect that if one or more of these kids tried to save this man it is likely they could have also drowned. A person drowning can be very dangerous for a would be untrained rescuer. 

With that being said I don't blame them for not jumping in. But I do shame them for their disgusting actions or lack there of.

Archived