The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Discussion.

Reading a lot of post's, and reading news. How is this for an idea, remember not set in stone. Tanev, Sutter, Goldobin, and 2nd rd pick 2019 to the Avs, in return Duchene and Barrie.

I know it's probably not the sexiest trade, however the Avs save a couple million in wages and get their shut down D. Van gets a second line centre, and a quality No# 2 or 3 D-man. If Sutter is not the fit, then maybe Grandland. But no more than that as Duchene is really not worth that much right now and trending down.  Sakic is desperately trying to prop up the value, to unreal heights. And privately, I really don't want JB to send Tanev to the leafs and help them to the cup. lmao. So snipe away folks improve the idea or trash it.

Was a thought, wondering why Sakic hasn't pulled the trigger, and what was he waiting for. And some input to the thought, my apologies to the tag and topic. My booboo.

But looking at the Canucks, could we get 5 years out of Duchene, at a serviceable price. I believe we are still three years away from Petterson evolving, and maybe Hank and Danny don't make it that long. But I realize this is over reaching. Thought i would put it out there.

2 hours ago, NuckForReal!!! said:

And a rebuilding team does this because?

I think take out the second, and we do this (as a rebuilding team) because it clearly makes the Avs better and us worse.  They would pass us in the standings, and we would pretty much be assured a bottom two or three finish.  We would certainly pick top five again!  That's what a rebuilding teams does - draft high - no?

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think take out the second, and we do this (as a rebuilding team) because it clearly makes the Avs better and us worse.  They would pass us in the standings, and we would pretty much be assured a bottom two or three finish.  We would certainly pick top five again!  That's what a rebuilding teams does - draft high - no?

Barrie and duchene would make us much better than tanev and sutter next season

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Sakic reportedly turned down Hamonic, a 1st and a good prospect JUST for Duchene  because he wanted MUCH MORE. I don't see him taking this deal do both Duchene and Barrie.  

this is why I included Goldobin and a 2nd, just trying to think outside the box a bit, or would  adding Virtanan, instead of Goldobin make this trade work. Sutter gives the Av's that 3rd/ 2nd line centre , while Tyson Jost works his way into the lineup. Sakic has shown some impatience with Barrie, so a try on these player's and a 2nd should work. But this is just for discussion, kinda wondering?

40 minutes ago, 12-16-FG said:

this is why I included Goldobin and a 2nd, just trying to think outside the box a bit, or would  adding Virtanan, instead of Goldobin make this trade work. Sutter gives the Av's that 3rd/ 2nd line centre , while Tyson Jost works his way into the lineup. Sakic has shown some impatience with Barrie, so a try on these player's and a 2nd should work. But this is just for discussion, kinda wondering?

Honestly your offer isn't close. Tanev and Barrie are close to a wash in terms of value. They are both #2 defensemen on bottom feeders but likely would be #3 on a contender. Both contracts are for 3 years with Barrie making a million more. Barrie also a couple years younger and has been durable over the last 3 seasons. I'd rather keep Tanev because he is much better defensively and he can eat up those hard minutes for us

So your offer is essentially Sutter, Goldobin and a 2nd for Duchene. Colorado hangs up immediately. You could add Virtanen to the trade and they'd still hang up.

Sutter is not a second line center. He's a decent overpaid third line center.

As qwijibo pointed out, Colorado reportedly turned down Hamonic, a 1st and a decent prospect. There just isn't any trade the Canucks should be doing to get Duchene. Adding him would cost us a lot of assets we should be using for the future. With Duchene we still likely miss playoffs but end up with a worst draft position.

Archived