The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Re-Signing] Nashville re-signs Austin Watson

NASHVILLE—The Nashville Predators have signed forward Austin Watson to a three-year $3.3 million deal keeping him under contract through 2019-20.

The Predators announced the deal Monday.

Watson will earn $1 million this season, $1.1 million in 2018-19 and $1.2 million in the third year.

The 25-year-old forward is coming off his best season yet with Nashville. The 6-foot-4, 204-pound Watson had a career high with five goals and seven assists in 77 games this past season. Watson scored four goals and had nine points in 22 playoff games helping Nashville reach the Stanley Cup Final.

The 18th pick overall in the 2010 draft, Watson had three goals and 10 points in 57 games during the 2015-16 season.

Now, centre Ryan Johansen is Nashville’s lone restricted free agent awaiting a new deal.

Solid signing and some potential to even be better down the road. Dorsett's contract should have been closer to this. Maybe 500k AAV more. 

All they have left to sign is Johansen with 13.5mill cap space. How on earth does Poille do it... these guys literally have 0 bad contracts... you can only argue Craig Smith is a little problematic on the AAV but even he is still effective. 

12 minutes ago, apollo said:

Solid signing and some potential to even be better down the road. Dorsett's contract should have been closer to this. Maybe 500k AAV more. 

All they have left to sign is Johansen with 13.5mill cap space. How on earth does Poille do it... these guys literally have 0 bad contracts... you can only argue Craig Smith is a little problematic on the AAV but even he is still effective. 

He traded away Weber's albatross of a contract. That helped.

15 minutes ago, apollo said:

Although I expect you to disagree, I think Bonino is quite overpaid. He had solid production for a while on the HBK line, but I think a lot of that was from his linemates. 

3 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

He traded away Weber's albatross of a contract. That helped.

Webers cap hit is lower than PK's, by about 1.2 mill... so they gained 1.2 mill in cap.

If you look at their roster, they virtually have 0 bad contracts. That's why they're loaded and have 13mill to burn... not that they will burn it, likely just sign Johansen and that's it. They are a budget team.

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Although I expect you to disagree, I think Bonino is quite overpaid. He had solid production for a while on the HBK line, but I think a lot of that was from his linemates. 

You know me too well lol 

4.1mill for 4 years... he was one of the best available forwards under 30 years old in free agency. Sure maybe he's worth 3.5 but 600k overpayment on one guy isn't bad at all. I bet bones could have got north of 4.5 from a non contender.

Not many high end free agents these days don't get over paid

1 hour ago, DoughtysCheck said:

NASHVILLE—The Nashville Predators have signed forward Austin Watson to a three-year $3.3 million deal keeping him under contract through 2019-20.

The Predators announced the deal Monday.

Watson will earn $1 million this season, $1.1 million in 2018-19 and $1.2 million in the third year.

The 25-year-old forward is coming off his best season yet with Nashville. The 6-foot-4, 204-pound Watson had a career high with five goals and seven assists in 77 games this past season. Watson scored four goals and had nine points in 22 playoff games helping Nashville reach the Stanley Cup Final.

The 18th pick overall in the 2010 draft, Watson had three goals and 10 points in 57 games during the 2015-16 season.

Now, centre Ryan Johansen is Nashville’s lone restricted free agent awaiting a new deal.

Wow!

1 hour ago, apollo said:

I thought of Dorsett's deal right away as well.

Too bad for us, good for Nashville.

24 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Jake is in the ahl 

No, I believe he is in Abbotsford (spelling?) British Columbia.   I don't believe the AHL plays now.    Once the season starts in the NHL, he will have a very good chance on being there.   

Of note, Austin Watson a first round pick in 2010 played three full years in AHL plus even a few games this past season - now at 25 just having his first full NHL season under his belt.   Seems a common story for first round big guys that hit - takes them a while longer to make NHL.   Jake likely gets there long before 24-25.    

3 hours ago, apollo said:

Webers cap hit is lower than PK's, by about 1.2 mill... so they gained 1.2 mill in cap.

If you look at their roster, they virtually have 0 bad contracts. That's why they're loaded and have 13mill to burn... not that they will burn it, likely just sign Johansen and that's it. They are a budget team.

Weber's contract's term made it an albatross. Not the cap.

23 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

No, I believe he is in Abbotsford (spelling?) British Columbia.   I don't believe the AHL plays now.    Once the season starts in the NHL, he will have a very good chance on being there.   

Of note, Austin Watson a first round pick in 2010 played three full years in AHL plus even a few games this past season - now at 25 just having his first full NHL season under his belt.   Seems a common story for first round big guys that hit - takes them a while longer to make NHL.   Jake likely gets there long before 24-25.    

I'm a jake fan.  Preaching to the choir.  My post was in response e to a hyperbolic post saying we have 6-7 Austin Watsons.

which of course, we do not.  

And if anything your your post supports how I important it is to take time with a prospect.  I have no problem with a player coming in at 24 and knowing exactly what his game is, what is expected of him at the NHL level and executing it.  Imo jake is not that player yet through no complete fault of his own...he's just young and immature.

Archived