The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cremation vs. Burial – where to check in when you’ve checked out?

Slegr

Okay, so you’re dead. Such a shame! Now, do you get buried? Or burned? To me, it’s a no brainer; it’s all about the ashes. Dust to dust, and all that.

I might even go so far as to say people who decide to be buried are actually very greedy and a foe of the environment. Why? Well, there are 7.4 billion people on this planet. Imagine if they all decide to get a big ‘ol non-degradable coffer and park their tombstone on potentially useful real estate so that their bones can rest peacefully. The average lifespan of 79 years is a drop in the bucket compared to the thousands of years that caskets can last. If everyone chose to be buried, eventually, the entire planet would be one big graveyard, with no room left to live.

But don’t let my sound reasoning influence you. What’s your plan for your body during its lifeless days?

I'm 100% for cremation. I don't care about my body when I'm dead. I'm dead and my spirit is elsewhere. No need to ruin the environment or cause unnecessary expenses for my family in burying me. Just do it as cheaply as possible.

50 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Okay, so you’re dead. Such a shame! Now, do you get buried? Or burned? To me, it’s a no brainer; it’s all about the ashes. Dust to dust, and all that.

I might even go so far as to say people who decide to be buried are actually very greedy and a foe of the environment. Why? Well, there are 7.4 billion people on this planet. Imagine if they all decide to get a big ‘ol non-degradable coffer and park their tombstone on potentially useful real estate so that their bones can rest peacefully. The average lifespan of 79 years is a drop in the bucket compared to the thousands of years that caskets can last. If everyone chose to be buried, eventually, the entire planet would be one big graveyard, with no room left to live.

But don’t let my sound reasoning influence you. What’s your plan for your body during its lifeless days?

Wow, that was nonsense. First of all, after a while you become dust anyway. Even in the ground. And as far as I know, they dig up the really old coffins (100-150years old), so new ones can be buried at the same place. At least that's the case in a middle-sized city in Europe. I have never seen a gravestone with a 1700ish birth date on it in a public cemetery.

Edit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cemetery#Re-use_of_graves

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cemetery#Urban

"Urban cemeteries relied heavily on the fact that the soft parts of the body would decompose in about 25 years (although, in moist soil, decomposition can take up to 70 years).[18] If room for new burials was needed, older bones could be dug up and interred elsewhere (such as in an ossuary) to make space for new interments.[13] It was not uncommon in some places, such as England, for fresher corpses to be chopped up to aid decomposition, and for bones to be burned to create fertilizer.[19] The re-use of graves allowed for a steady stream of income, which enabled the cemetery to remain well-maintained and in good repair.[20] "

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/jan/21/death-in-the-city-what-happens-cemeteries-full-cost-dying

"Countries such as Singapore, Germany and Belgium offer public graves for free – but only for the first 20 or so years. Thereafter, families can either pay to keep them (often on a rental basis) or the graves are recycled, with the most recent residents moved further into the ground or to another site, often a mass grave."

3 minutes ago, Rubik said:

Wow, that was nonsense. First of all, after a while you become dust anyway. Even in the ground. And as far as I know, after 70-100 years they dig up the really old coffins, so new ones can be buried at the same place. At least that's the case in a middle-sized city in Europe.

I don't think digging up coffins is the norm. Unless you're a grave robber!

Just now, riffraff said:

I'm anti ing up.

load me up in a trebuchet preferably on a tall ship and then fling my corpse into the sea.

What would be really cool is to wait until Trump finishes his wall, have your friends dress you up in a colorful poncho and a sombrero and then chuck you over into downtown El Paso...

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

What would be really cool is to wait until Trump finishes his wall, have your friends dress you up in a colorful poncho and a sombrero and then chuck you over into downtown El Paso...

Or just stuff your corpse in a sack and pretend it's one of those killer bags of drugs that routinely get thrown over the wall.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Make trebuchets great again.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Or just stuff your corpse in a sack and pretend it's one of those killer bags of drugs that routinely get thrown over the wall.

Trump messed that one up by deciding to build a transparent wall. He's probably got some "secret squirrel" operation going right now for the transparisteel that they use on Star Trek...

15 minutes ago, Rubik said:

Wow, that was nonsense. First of all, after a while you become dust anyway. Even in the ground. And as far as I know, they dig up the really old coffins (100-150years old), so new ones can be buried at the same place. At least that's the case in a middle-sized city in Europe. I have never seen a gravestone with a 1700ish birth date on it in a public cemetery.

In the US there would be an uproar if people started digging up and evicting dead people from their graves.  I'm sure that will change in the next 100 years as well over 300 million more graves on top of the millions of today will dot the landscape.

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Trump messed that one up by deciding to build a transparent wall. He's probably got some "secret squirrel" operation going right now for the transparisteel that they use on Star Trek...

I know one person who will be watching the new Star Trek TV show when it comes out in September... :lol:

Archived