Sign in to follow this  
Slegr

Cremation vs. Burial – where to check in when you’ve checked out?

Recommended Posts

Okay, so you’re dead. Such a shame! Now, do you get buried? Or burned? To me, it’s a no brainer; it’s all about the ashes. Dust to dust, and all that.

 

I might even go so far as to say people who decide to be buried are actually very greedy and a foe of the environment. Why? Well, there are 7.4 billion people on this planet. Imagine if they all decide to get a big ‘ol non-degradable coffer and park their tombstone on potentially useful real estate so that their bones can rest peacefully. The average lifespan of 79 years is a drop in the bucket compared to the thousands of years that caskets can last. If everyone chose to be buried, eventually, the entire planet would be one big graveyard, with no room left to live.

 

But don’t let my sound reasoning influence you. What’s your plan for your body during its lifeless days?

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Okay, so you’re dead. Such a shame! Now, do you get buried? Or burned? To me, it’s a no brainer; it’s all about the ashes. Dust to dust, and all that.

 

I might even go so far as to say people who decide to be buried are actually very greedy and a foe of the environment. Why? Well, there are 7.4 billion people on this planet. Imagine if they all decide to get a big ‘ol non-degradable coffer and park their tombstone on potentially useful real estate so that their bones can rest peacefully. The average lifespan of 79 years is a drop in the bucket compared to the thousands of years that caskets can last. If everyone chose to be buried, eventually, the entire planet would be one big graveyard, with no room left to live.

 

But don’t let my sound reasoning influence you. What’s your plan for your body during its lifeless days?

Wow, that was nonsense. First of all, after a while you become dust anyway. Even in the ground. And as far as I know, they dig up the really old coffins (100-150years old), so new ones can be buried at the same place. At least that's the case in a middle-sized city in Europe. I have never seen a gravestone with a 1700ish birth date on it in a public cemetery.

 

Edit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cemetery#Re-use_of_graves

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cemetery#Urban

"Urban cemeteries relied heavily on the fact that the soft parts of the body would decompose in about 25 years (although, in moist soil, decomposition can take up to 70 years).[18] If room for new burials was needed, older bones could be dug up and interred elsewhere (such as in an ossuary) to make space for new interments.[13] It was not uncommon in some places, such as England, for fresher corpses to be chopped up to aid decomposition, and for bones to be burned to create fertilizer.[19] The re-use of graves allowed for a steady stream of income, which enabled the cemetery to remain well-maintained and in good repair.[20] "

 

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/jan/21/death-in-the-city-what-happens-cemeteries-full-cost-dying

"Countries such as Singapore, Germany and Belgium offer public graves for free – but only for the first 20 or so years. Thereafter, families can either pay to keep them (often on a rental basis) or the graves are recycled, with the most recent residents moved further into the ground or to another site, often a mass grave."

Edited by Rubik
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cremation, I suppose...

 

...although I'd be totally okay with leaving my corpse out in the woods for the wolves to eat. I won't be needing it.

 

(Of course this is after all viable transplant organs are removed)

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rubik said:

Wow, that was nonsense. First of all, after a while you become dust anyway. Even in the ground. And as far as I know, after 70-100 years they dig up the really old coffins, so new ones can be buried at the same place. At least that's the case in a middle-sized city in Europe.

I don't think digging up coffins is the norm. Unless you're a grave robber!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plan on coming back and starting the apocalypse.......but if, I was to decide, I'd say stuffed.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm anti ing up.

 

load me up in a trebuchet preferably on a tall ship and then fling my corpse into the sea.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

Just pour liquor on my body and light it up

They could just fire up my liver......consider the job done...

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, riffraff said:

I'm anti ing up.

 

load me up in a trebuchet preferably on a tall ship and then fling my corpse into the sea.

What would be really cool is to wait until Trump finishes his wall, have your friends dress you up in a colorful poncho and a sombrero and then chuck you over into downtown El Paso...

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

What would be really cool is to wait until Trump finishes his wall, have your friends dress you up in a colorful poncho and a sombrero and then chuck you over into downtown El Paso...

Or just stuff your corpse in a sack and pretend it's one of those killer bags of drugs that routinely get thrown over the wall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

What would be really cool is to wait until Trump finishes his wall, have your friends dress you up in a colorful poncho and a sombrero and then chuck you over into downtown El Paso...

Make trebuchets great again.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, riffraff said:

Make trebuchets great again.

Unlike America, trebuchets never stopped being great.B)

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Or just stuff your corpse in a sack and pretend it's one of those killer bags of drugs that routinely get thrown over the wall.

Trump messed that one up by deciding to build a transparent wall. He's probably got some "secret squirrel" operation going right now for the transparisteel that they use on Star Trek...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Rubik said:

Wow, that was nonsense. First of all, after a while you become dust anyway. Even in the ground. And as far as I know, they dig up the really old coffins (100-150years old), so new ones can be buried at the same place. At least that's the case in a middle-sized city in Europe. I have never seen a gravestone with a 1700ish birth date on it in a public cemetery.

In the US there would be an uproar if people started digging up and evicting dead people from their graves.  I'm sure that will change in the next 100 years as well over 300 million more graves on top of the millions of today will dot the landscape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Trump messed that one up by deciding to build a transparent wall. He's probably got some "secret squirrel" operation going right now for the transparisteel that they use on Star Trek...

I know one person who will be watching the new Star Trek TV show when it comes out in September... :lol:

Edited by SabreFan1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Cremated with my ashes spread across boundary bay in White Rock.  I'll then haunt that bay for an eternity.

i hope your ashes aren't tainted and poison the fish and alligators.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.