The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ICBC considering raising car insurance premiums by 30 per cent

prix57

http://globalnews.ca/news/3620885/icbc-considering-raising-car-insurance-premiums-by-30-per-cent/

Mon, Jul 24: ICBC is considering raising vehicle insurance premiums by 30 per cent and as Jill Bennett reports, if you’re a bad driver you’ll likely be hit the hardest.

- A A +

B.C.’s trucking industry is warning that any spike in ICBC insurance rates could be felt by consumers at the cash register.

It comes in the wake of an Ernst & Young report commissioned for the B.C. government that found the Crown corporation may have to hike rates by as much as 30 per cent in the next two years.

READ MORE: ICBC considering raising car insurance premiums by 30 per cent

All commercial vehicles in B.C. must purchase basic insurance through ICBC, and on average they’re paying more, said Louise Yako, president of the BC Trucking Association.

“The rates for commercial vehicles are higher than for private passenger car vehicles,” she said.

LISTEN: Minister responsible for ICBC David Eby discusses the possibility of rate hikes

If those rates go up any higher, it won’t be truckers who end up footing the bill, Yako said.

Instead, it will mean the tomatoes, iPods and other goods they’re shipping will be more expensive.

“Every time there is an increase in costs, trucking companies have to pass at least a portion, if not all, of those increases on to their customers. This is a very low margin industry, and so there’s really no fat,” Yako said.

Yako added her organization is still studying the report to understand its full impact on drivers.

LISTEN: BC Liberal MLA Andrew Wilkinson says NDP needs to explain its plans for ICBC

The potential rate hikes are the result of what Ernst & Young described as an “unsustainable” financial situation within the Crown corporation.

The report found that both the number and size of claims within the insurance corporation are rising, along with the size of cash settlements and legal costs.

It recommended a suite of new measures to shore up ICBC’s financial footing, including reintroducing photo radar, implementing no-fault insurance and capping payments for pain and suffering for minor injuries.

David Eby, the NDP minister responsible for ICBC, ruled out photo radar and no-fault insurance on Monday.

© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

f those rates go up any higher, it won’t be truckers who end up footing the bill, Yako said.

Instead, it will mean the tomatoes, iPods and other goods they’re shipping will be more expensive.

“Every time there is an increase in costs, trucking companies have to pass at least a portion, if not all, of those increases on to their customers. This is a very low margin industry, and so there’s really no fat,” Yako said.

Gee, I wish I could pass on my insurance expenses to a consumer.  Heh, this is the real meaning of trickle down economics.

Bad drivers should carry the burden of this. You can't make a 5 minute trip now without seeing at least 2 or 3 idiots on their phones or running red lights. I'm all for red light cameras and tickets for cell phone use while driving should be minimum $1,500 imo, and then tripled for a 2nd offence, otherwise people won't stop. 

2 minutes ago, prix57 said:

My question is how much is the salary for the ICBC upper management and higher ups?  Are they comparable to the ridiculous level of translinks?

not much, there's 80,000 more accidents last year than just 4 years ago. Its distracted driving and bad behaviour in intersections thats the biggest problems. 

25 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Bad drivers should carry the burden of this. You can't make a 5 minute trip now without seeing at least 2 or 3 idiots on their phones or running red lights. I'm all for red light cameras and tickets for cell phone use while driving should be minimum $1,500 imo, and then tripled for a 2nd offence, otherwise people won't stop. 

Doesn't help that the Liberals gutted their reserves to make it look like BC's budget was balanced.....

I agree..crank up the fines for distracted driving. In BC it is causing as more accidents than drinking and driving.  I ride a motorbike and am getting real tired of seeing dip$&!#s on their phones.  

26 minutes ago, prix57 said:

My question is how much is the salary for the ICBC upper management and higher ups?  Are they comparable to the ridiculous level of translinks?

You can use this argument all you want, but you can't deny the staggering amount of dangerous and terrible drivers in the Lower Mainland.

2 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

You can use this argument all you want, but you can't deny the staggering amount of dangerous and terrible drivers in the Lower Mainland.

Also, just in this province in general.

It's amazing how many people can't even figure out four way stops in my area.

13 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Doesn't help that the Liberals gutted their reserves to make it look like BC's budget was balanced.....

I agree..crank up the fines for distracted driving. In BC it is causing as more accidents than drinking and driving.  I ride a motorbike and am getting real tired of seeing dip$&!#s on their phones.  

I swear that I see more people over 40 using their phones, using the HOV lane like their personal route, etc. than I do drivers with "N"s. These people need to be nailed hard for completely avoidable crap like using your phone. 

Yah the ICBC mismanagement is going to be the Liberals "fast ferries" if it turns out to be as bad as some are saying. 

Fact is ICBC bears direct responsibility for the standard of driving on the roads in BC as they are also the governing body for driver licensing. If ICBC wants to lessen crashes on BC roads, they need to tighten regulations on how drivers are trained and tested.

I'm almost certain that it was a driver licensing rep that sold a bunch of well-heeled Chinese immigrants licenses out of Richmond. ICBC is also the governing body that regulates driving instruction companies, and based on what I've seen, quite a few of these companies should have never been granted licenses at all. Happy Fun Wheels Driving is not Young Drivers of Canada.

That being said, the scum-sucking Liberals also deserve a fair amount of the blame regarding how they raided the coffers of various companies. In other countries, Christy and her cabinet would be swinging from a rope right now.

12 minutes ago, b3. said:

Also, just in this province in general.

It's amazing how many people can't even figure out four way stops in my area.

You mean those "Stop For Me" intersections?  lol

I hate to bring it up... but would ICBC ever release demographics on who are causing all these accidents and claims?  We all hear about young males from ages 16-35 or something driving too fast... but I'm still more scared of the (not trying to be racist or sexist) Asian woman driving a large vehicle.  If you have a license in China, you can automatically transfer it to Canada as a Class 5 driver.  I mean, my wife (who almost never drives in Japan) has a license from Japan and now she has a class 5 here.... but she still have a bit of trouble remembering which side of the road she drives on sometimes.  Considering that driving standards from places like China doesn't have the same standard and quality as those in North America, I don't think ICBC should be issuing licenses out to people transferring their license... or if they do, they can't just take their "10 years of experience" and then give them a 40% discount.  

3 minutes ago, prix57 said:

i agree fines for distracted driving should be increased along with adding more cameras etc.

Not a day goes by where I see at least several drivers looking down at their phones while driving.

True story, a few weeks ago on the way into PG. I was stuck behind this Geo Metro with a "N" slapped on the back, she was going from 75-110km/h. When I finally was able to pass her, I quickly saw that she had the seat reclined back, steering with her knees and face glued to the phone.

That's the exact moment when I fully understood why we are paying out of our buttocks for insurance in this damn province.

This wont really effect the rich folk of the province, a couple little drops in the bucket for them. It's the common folk already struggling to get by that this is going to hurt the most even if they aren't drivers as the cost of everything else will go up because of this. Sh** rolls down hill and it's all going to pile on to the little guy. If this province becomes any more unaffordable the little guys might just pick up and go elsewhere. I know I'm tired of getting squeezed.

1 minute ago, Lancaster said:

Considering that driving standards from places like China doesn't have the same standard and quality as those in North America, I don't think ICBC should be issuing licenses out to people transferring their license... or if they do, they can't just take their "10 years of experience" and then give them a 40% discount.  

couldn't agree more

Wait... no one is complaining about the unfair monopoly ICBC has? 

Yet we're bashing the drivers and the truckers? 

This monopoly is a joke. ICBC is Canada's most crooked and corrupt organization. No where else in Canada are rates this high.  

1 minute ago, Lancaster said:

I hate to bring it up... but would ICBC ever release demographics on who are causing all these accidents and claims?  We all hear about young males from ages 16-35 or something driving too fast... but I'm still more scared of the (not trying to be racist or sexist) Asian woman driving a large vehicle.  If you have a license in China, you can automatically transfer it to Canada as a Class 5 driver.  I mean, my wife (who almost never drives in Japan) has a license from Japan and now she has a class 5 here.... but she still have a bit of trouble remembering which side of the road she drives on sometimes.  Considering that driving standards from places like China doesn't have the same standard and quality as those in North America, I don't think ICBC should be issuing licenses out to people transferring their license... or if they do, they can't just take their "10 years of experience" and then give them a 40% discount.  

I agree. Doctors from other countries are required to ensure that they meet rigid standards when they come to Canada. Sometimes even having to retake courses.

How are drivers from countries like China and other Asian areas exempt from this? From what I've heard, driving in most Asian countries is questionable at best, yet they can merely transfer their license? Screw that. 

4 minutes ago, apollo said:

Wait... no one is complaining about the unfair monopoly ICBC has? 

Yet we're bashing the drivers and the truckers? 

This monopoly is a joke. ICBC is Canada's most crooked and corrupt organization. No where else in Canada are rates this high.  

There are far worse gov't orgs than ICBC.

3 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

This is as true as it gets. 

Yet a guy busting his ass at 25 who only has 7 years experience and pays taxes has less of a discount. Yet the immigrants come in, take free health care, use our roads, claim 0 income and launder in 6-8 figures annually. 

It's not just China though... all the immigrant countries. Korea, Japan, India, Iran, all have horrible drivers.

Archived