The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ICBC considering raising car insurance premiums by 30 per cent

prix57

10 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

True story, and why don't people ever signal when they turn anymore? 

Who knows? I see so much stupidity daily. Even worse when I'm towing...people just cut you off left and right, it's ridiculous. There's a severe lack of courtesy, common sense and awareness of people's surrounding's out there.

3 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

thats true, I use Knight St a lot and holy crap some of these guys drive semi's like they're in a Fiat 500. Its really bad when they first come out of the port. 

It's ridiculous the driving some of them attempt out there. I mean I get it, they drive around with this same asinine traffic and all these distracted/incompetent idiots we're complaining about ALL DAY. It's bound to become frustrating. But it sure is annoying to downright scary when they do it to you.

These are some of the many reasons I want to GTFO of the lower mainland. Driving here is anywhere from frustrating to down right terrifying.

Just now, J.R. said:

Who knows? I see so much stupidity daily. Even worse when I'm towing...people just cut you off left and right, it's ridiculous. There's a severe lack of courtesy, common sense and awareness of people's surrounding's out there.

It's ridiculous the driving some of them attempt out there. I mean I get it, they drive around with this same asinine traffic and all these distracted/incompetent idiots we're complaining about ALL DAY. It's bound to become frustrating. But it sure is annoying to downright scary when they do it to you.

These are some of the many reasons I want to GTFO of the lower mainland. Driving here is anywhere from frustrating to down right terrifying.

I think a lot of people on this thread have it right, we've got nowhere near the kind of enforcement we need. Should be a simple fix, and I'm sure the cops would love to do it. 

13 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I think a lot of people on this thread have it right, we've got nowhere near the kind of enforcement we need. Should be a simple fix, and I'm sure the cops would love to do it. 

I just don't have a lot of faith they'll actually target the real problem areas and will target the low hanging fruit they always seem to with things like photo radar. I'm sorry, but the guy doing 110-115KPH while signaling, passing only on the left and not driving erratically, while paying attention to his surroundings is not causing traffic problems. He sure is easy to nab with a photo radar ticket though. I'd gladly let that guy by me every day.

And when they do target things like distracted driving, it can cause MASSIVE delays. For example, a few times a year they set up a distracted driving (and presumably seat belt etc) check at the bus stop at Steveston and the 99 and it DESTROYS traffic progress (not that it takes much there).

The biggest issue I see is that courtesy and respect are gone on the road. If you happen to be driving the speed limit and someone comes up behind you gunning it, as soon as they can pass you, they'll take the opportunity to pull in front of you as close as possible to "deliver a message".

If I am going to pull in front of someone, especially on the highway, and ESPECIALLY with large transport trailers, I always signal, and turn only when I've given at the very least 60 ft. in front of the other driver. I know what it's like to be driving a large vehicle and be at the behest of horrible drivers.

I'd say upwards to 10% of the people on BC roads should not have been licensed and should have their licenses revoked and receive a permanent ban on driving. These drivers have little to no respect for anyone else on the road, and could give two squirts about the MVA.

Just now, J.R. said:

I just don't have a lot of faith they'll actually target the real problem areas and will target the low hanging fruit they always seem to with things like photo radar. I'm sorry, but the guy doing 110-115KPH while signaling, passing only on the left and not driving erratically, while paying attention to his surroundings is not causing traffic problems. He sure is easy to nab with a photo radar ticket though. I'd gladly let that guy by be every day.

Exactly. The Autobahn has proven that speed is subjective and not necessarily the killer that some signs and ad campaigns suggest. It's the speed coupled with recklessness and zero respect for others and surroundings in general that's the problem.

Just now, J.R. said:

And when they do target things like distracted driving, it can cause MASSIVE delays. For example, a few times a year they set up a distracted driving (and presumably seat belt etc) check at the bus stop at Steveston and the 99 and it DESTROYS traffic progress (not that it takes much there).

That area is such a cluster&^@#, on the best of days, you'd think that the RCMP could rub a couple of braincells together and find an alternate chokepoint to monitor driving habits, but whatever's convenient for them seems to be the deciding factor.

Almost 20 years of flawless driving and my insurance that I renewed last night was $1857 for a full size truck.  That's already too high imo and now they want to tack on another 30%?  Wasn't ICBC executives involved in a scam a couple of years ago?  Maybe start by overhauling their front office and start trimming the fat off these pigs.

1 minute ago, Tre Mac said:

Almost 20 years of flawless driving and my insurance that I renewed last night was $1857 for a full size truck.  That's already too high imo and now they want to tack on another 30%?  Wasn't ICBC executives involved in a scam a couple of years ago?  Maybe start by overhauling their front office and start trimming the fat off these pigs.

Corporations and fat cats always win. Money talks. We're &^@#ing peasants and treated as such. 

18 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. The Autobahn has proven that speed is subjective and not necessarily the killer that some signs and ad campaigns suggest. It's the speed coupled with recklessness and zero respect for others and surroundings in general that's the problem.

That area is such a cluster&^@#, on the best of days, you'd think that the RCMP could rub a couple of braincells together and find an alternate chokepoint to monitor driving habits, but whatever's convenient for them seems to be the deciding factor.

The biggest problem is vehicles traveling at different speeds in the same lanes, not outright speed itself. How anybody can determine that 105KPH = 'safe' and 115 KPH is 'impending death!' defies logic. You crash at either speed and it's not going to tickle.

Better training and one's ability to be aware of their surroundings/be courteous to fellow motorists and better enforcement of poor/dangerous/not paying attention drivers would do far, FAR more to improve driving/traffic conditions than any speeding enforcement. 

I'd also love to see them ticket and suspend/withdraw licences of 'scared' drivers more. People afraid to merge/match speed, unable to maintain speed limit, unable to change lanes to get out of the way etc. They just bottleneck traffic and confuse and enrage drivers and encourage aggressive drivers to perform dangerous maneuvers. If you're too scared to perform basic driving tasks, you should not be driving IMO.

I have a question here, what's stopping other car insurance companies from setting up shop here? Is there some kind of law or are they afraid to compete with the government? You would think given the insane prices that another insurance company could make a fortune by offering cheaper rates.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

The biggest problem is vehicles traveling at different speeds in the same lanes, not outright speed itself. How anybody can determine that 105KPH = 'safe' and 115 KPH is 'impending death!' defies logic. You crash at either speed and it's not going to tickle.

Better training and one's ability to be aware of their surroundings/be courteous to fellow motorists and better enforcement of poor/dangerous/not paying attention drivers would do far, FAR more to improve driving/traffic conditions than any speeding enforcement. 

I'd also love to see them ticket and suspend/withdraw licences of 'scared' drivers more. People afraid to merge/match speed, unable to maintain speed limit, unable to change lanes to get out of the way etc. They just bottleneck traffic and confuse and enrage drivers and encourage aggressive drivers to perform dangerous maneuvers. If you're too scared to perform basic driving tasks, you should not be driving IMO.

Agreed. I've had so many experiences in the Lower Mainland where people drive as if they have literally no idea what the rules of the road are. None!

They are, in my opinion, more dangerous than someone who speeds and does so with precision and courtesy. These drivers who lack confidence are a detriment to the public in that they struggle to perform what should come as muscle memory, much like a shoulder check should.

These folks shouldn't have a licence, at all. How they did get them is something that ICBC holds full responsibility for. Clearly, the hiring practices at driver licencing facilities is woefully inadequate.

5 minutes ago, JC2 said:

I have a question here, what's stopping other car insurance companies from setting up shop here? Is there some kind of law or are they afraid to compete with the government? You would think given the insane prices that another insurance company could make a fortune by offering cheaper rates.

They do set up shop, it's just that ICBC is the only company that can sell basic insurance in the province. Optional is another story. Not sure why though.

32 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

16 years of mismanagement by CC might have something to do with ICBC's bigger problem. Taking dividends to balance budgets doesn't help. They had Liberal friendly execs in place in ICBC and BC Hydro, and look at the mess they've created, and left us with. They (Liberals) were warned about this happening, but hey what's a few extra bucks going to do to the average family when we have the biggest and best economy in the Country. (sarcasm)

3 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

not much, there's 80,000 more accidents last year than just 4 years ago. Its distracted driving and bad behaviour in intersections thats the biggest problems. 

3 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Doesn't help that the Liberals gutted their reserves to make it look like BC's budget was balanced.....

I agree..crank up the fines for distracted driving. In BC it is causing as more accidents than drinking and driving.  I ride a motorbike and am getting real tired of seeing dip$&!#s on their phones.  

3 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Bad drivers should carry the burden of this. You can't make a 5 minute trip now without seeing at least 2 or 3 idiots on their phones or running red lights. I'm all for red light cameras and tickets for cell phone use while driving should be minimum $1,500 imo, and then tripled for a 2nd offence, otherwise people won't stop. 

Pretty much this. It's all the settlements that ICBC is handing out for minor injuries from accidents, majority of which are caused by dumb, distracted morons who are to busy snapchatting and instagraming on their phones whilst driving.

ICBC/Courts should do three things.

1: Increase the fines for distracted driving, if you're a repeat offender fines increase even more...also do what the sweedes do, don't make it just a flat rate, fine people according to their income level. No this does not mean some poor student who is jeopardizing people's lives pays next to nothing, they just pay the existing rates of $500 or $750 or so. Some jackass driving a $350, 000 car is going to laugh at a $500 fine, jack that up to $10, 000, see if he's still laughing.

2: Increase the insurance rates for bad drivers, even more-so then they do now. Everyone can and does make mistakes, the people who are just inherently reckless drivers though should not be put in the same catergoy of someone who for a split second made a mistake. If you caused an accident by willfully disobeying driving laws (texting/using phone while driving, drinking/under the influence while driving) your rates should increase even more.

3: Those drivers who are just willfully ignorant and show no care at all for the safety of others on repeated occasions. That person should be stripped of their license and not a slap on the wrist 6 month driving ban, I'm talking years. If they re-offend after getting said license back, stripped for life. Driving is a privilege, not a right.  

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Four way stops, round abouts, left lanes, merging and matching speed.

Sprinkle in distracted drivers on their phones, a few aggressive drivers and then throw in commercial truck drivers weaving in and out of traffic as though they aren't driving multi-tonne steel projectiles.... it's an adventure out there!

Compared to many other countries (where some of the aforementioned used to drive), it's still a cakewalk...

http___makeagif-com__media_5-05-2014_8up

Archived