The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey Canada Announces Pre-Olympic Rosters

Fanuck

Hockey Canada has announced its pre-Olympics tournament rosters and there are several links to the Canucks in both the coaching/player departments:

Article :

http://www.tsn.ca/canada-names-pre-olympic-tournament-rosters-1.813971

Team Canada has named its roster for the 2017 Sochi Open and the Tournament of Nikolai Puchkov which both take place in August,

The Sochi Open, which will take place from Aug. 6-9 in Russia, will mark the first pre-Olympic action for Team Canada as general manager Sean Burke looks to form his roster for the 2018 Pyeongchang Games.

Canada will also play in the Tournament of Nikolai Puchkov in St. Petersburg later in August, with a different roster which was also released Tuesday. Both rosters are made up almost entirely of players currently skating in Europe.

"We're going to play these two events in August, hopefully find out a lot of things that we have. But we're going to have to also find out some of the things we don't have," said Burke.

Renney: We won't be treated as underdogs

"Any player that's eligible, whether he's playing in North America on an AHL contract or in college, junior, we don't want to leave any stones unturned."

Among the most recognizable names on the Sochi Open roster are former NHLers Rob Klinkhammer, Brandon Kozun, Daniel Paille, Mason Raymond, Max Talbot and Linden Vey. Former Carolina Hurricanes goaltender Justin Peters will dress for the tournament, along with Kevin Poulin, who was named to both rosters.

Notable names on the Tournament of Nikolai Puchkov roster for Team Canada include Cam Barker, Carlo Colaiacovo, Taylor Beck, Ryan Garbutt, Derek Roy and goaltender Ben Scrivens.

Kevin Klein, who retired from the New York Rangers earlier this month and then signed in Switzerland, is also on the tournament for Aug. 14-17 Tournament of Nikolai Puchkov.

Below are the full rosters for both tournaments.

2017 Sochi Hockey Open

Forwards: Justin Azevedo, Gilbert Brulé, Brandon Buck, Kevin Clark, Andrew Ebbett, Bud Holloway, Rob Klinkhammer, Brandon Kozun, Ben Maxwell, Brandon McMillan, Eric O’Dell, Daniel Paille, Mason Raymond, Max Talbot, Linden Vey

Defence: Chay Genoway, Geoff Kinrade, Patrick McNeill, Maxim Noreau, Mat Robinson, Jonathan Sigalet, Karl Stollery

Goaltenders: Justin Peters, Kevin Poulin

2017 Tournament of Nikolai Puchkov

Forwards: Taylor Beck, Sean Collins, Cory Emmerton, Ryan Garbutt, Andrew Gordon, David McIntyre, Jacob Micflikier, Trevor Parkes, Marc-Antoine Pouliot, Derek Roy, Greg Scott, Paul Szczechura, James Wright

Defence: Cam Barker, Carlo Colaiacovo, Stefan Elliott, Marc-Andre Gragnani, Kevin Klein, Shawn Lalonde, Craig Schira

Goaltenders: Kevin Poulin, Ben Scrivens

Didn't yet see this posted but wouldn't surprise me if it's somewhere and I missed it. 

this may be the 1st Olympic mens hockey that I don't watch, its going to suck. Plus I'm just getting over yelling at Willie D on a regular basis so I don't want a relapse.  

I'll watch the womens side tho. 

This thread is going to get hella-critical but let's make sure the blame goes to deserving parties - the NHL OWNERS are to be blamed for this. And let's face it - most of us will watch it anyway and cheer our boys against the rest of the world because WE ARE CANADIAN! 

4 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

this may be the 1st Olympic mens hockey that I don't watch, its going to suck. Plus I'm just getting over yelling at Willie D on a regular basis so I don't want a relapse.  

I'll watch the womens side tho. 

The Canada USA women's games is always some of the best hockey of the year, it's can't miss for me.

But I agree with you on the men's, theres just zero appeal to me, I'd rather go snowboard or something.

Team Canada should do everything in their power to get Sbisa to change his citizenship and play for the team. He's the only way the team will ever have any credibility. :lol:

........Man I can't wait for the season to start so a new Canuck does something epic that I can fall in love with. 

Side note: Quite a few former Canucks... Vey, MayRay, Grangani, Barker, Ebbett, McMillan.... also Gilbert Brule was on my Canucks in NHL 07 so close enough. 

20 minutes ago, PlanB said:

This thread is going to get hella-critical but let's make sure the blame goes to deserving parties - the NHL OWNERS are to be blamed for this. And let's face it - most of us will watch it anyway and cheer our boys against the rest of the world because WE ARE CANADIAN! 

I disagree, the blame starts and ends with Bettman.

21 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

The Canada USA women's games is always some of the best hockey of the year, it's can't miss for me.

But I agree with you on the men's, theres just zero appeal to me, I'd rather go snowboard or something.

this is a great year to really get behind the women's side and forget about the men's, Smeagol has ensured the mens side will stink and be forgotten with his decision to not allow NHLrs, so hopefully the women's side will be given much more attention. 

11 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Where exactly do you think Bettman gets his mandate?   Do you serious think 30 billionaire owners are going to let this peon make major decisions on his own? 

12 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

In what way? All Bettman is doing is taking direction from the owners. Bettman is the shield that the owners use to deflect fans' attention from the real problem. 

If Bettman didn't fall exactly in line with what owners are asking, we'd have a new commissioner by tomorrow. 

Archived