The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey Canada Announces Pre-Olympic Rosters

Fanuck

• 2 months later...
On 8/16/2017 at 7:07 AM, King Heffy said:

Willie must be thrilled.  Guy loves his plugs and he has a whole team full of them.  Look for Ebbett to be on the first line with PP and PK minutes.

Not going to be watching a single minute of this tire fire.

Oh I'll be watching. Heck, if I can watch the Canucks for decades underperform, I can watch 2 weeks of Willie and the Wankers. But also, I'd love to watch them beat the odds and take down Putin's darlings. That would be sweeeeeeeeeet.  Its rare and refreshing to be backing such an underdog in regards to international hockey.

That said, my gawd. I had thought they could have done so much better with both the coach and line up. If Canada is so dominant in hockey world wide, winning things like the Spengler Cup so often as well, how could we not STILL put up a competitive team? Or get a more competent coach that, you know, actually has some NHL success under his belt. Almost a shame that Marc Crawford is under an NHL contract now.

On 11/5/2017 at 5:00 AM, Davathor said:

I know I'm late to the thread... but there's no hope in hell I'm tuning in to watch a team with Raymond, Vey and Ben friggen Scrivens

I'm with ya. I almost feel bad for saying this but I literally hate this team.

On 2017-11-06 at 1:30 PM, Where's Wellwood said:

ohhh they will find a way to make it happen.  They've been "buying" medals for the longest time, I"m sure they can use money and resolve this issue. 

but it will be nice if Doan and Iginla can be there.  That be epic.  

Too bad the Olympic extended the ban even to the AHL.  If they allowed AHL players to go, we could have gotten an awesome team. 

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎06 at 2:30 PM, Where's Wellwood said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that's not going to happen. Russia is not going to pass up this golden (pun intended) opportunity.

They just think they're in a position of power, and trying to use it to cover up their corruption. But the thing is, if the Olympics are already doing the hockey without the NHL, does it make much of a difference to leave out the KHL as well? A lot of fans (myself included) would be even more interested if Team Canada was represented by young players and prospects that will likely play in the NHL one day, rather than washed-up NHL rejects like Wolski, Raymond, and Vey.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-11-06 at 1:30 PM, Where's Wellwood said:

Another step in that direction:

And four more athletes just banned (and two stripped of medals):

Also looking like their bobsledders and women's hockey team will be next to go.

Russia found to still not be in compliance with anti-doping per ruling last week.

And IOC set to vote Dec. 5th on whether or not to ban the entire Russian team.

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Another step in that direction:

And four more athletes just banned (and two stripped of medals):

Also looking like their bobsledders and women's hockey team will be next to go.

Russia found to still not be in compliance with anti-doping per ruling last week.

And IOC set to vote Dec. 5th on whether or not to ban the entire Russian team.

So if all players in the KHL are banned from participation (Russian or otherwise) what's left? SHL, other europe leagues, college? AHL-only contracts can go right?

13 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

So if all players in the KHL are banned from participation (Russian or otherwise) what's left? SHL, other europe leagues, college? AHL-only contracts can go right?

Yeah pretty much.

It's such a mess. The Russians are basically protesting their doping punishments by the IOC. Saying that if you ban our athletes, we'll ban everyone in the KHL (including athletes from other nations).

Don't imagine this will really sway any of the IOC's upcoming decisions on the doping scandal. Just more of a d*** move by Russia.

Honestly, I don't mind the effect of the KHL possibly pulling out (not that I support what they're doing). With the NHL already out, the current landscape gave an advantage to Team Russia (as the KHL has a greater concentration of Russian talent than foreign players). So take the KHL out of the mix and it probably makes things fairer for the other nations and results in a more competitive overall tournament (albeit an even lesser skilled one).

On 11/22/2017 at 12:18 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah pretty much.

It's such a mess. The Russians are basically protesting their doping punishments by the IOC. Saying that if you ban our athletes, we'll ban everyone in the KHL (including athletes from other nations).

Don't imagine this will really sway any of the IOC's upcoming decisions on the doping scandal. Just more of a d*** move by Russia.

Honestly, I don't mind the effect of the KHL possibly pulling out (not that I support what they're doing). With the NHL already out, the current landscape gave an advantage to Team Russia (as the KHL has a greater concentration of Russian talent than foreign players). So take the KHL out of the mix and it probably makes things fairer for the other nations and results in a more competitive overall tournament (albeit an even lesser skilled one).

TBH it makes it even less interesting to me. At least before, Canada could be seen as the underdog because of the restriction on players. Now its just a battle of the mediocre. 

Archived