The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo for Leon(Proposal-Discussion)

It feels like heresy to even ponder the notion.. but we're all big kids here, so I think it's worthwhile to confront the question..What IF?!

What if Chia-pet were to call up JB with a Bo/Drai offer? A GM's responsibility to listen, right? After the PO's the guy just had, got to be one of the most valuable singular assets, league-wide(top-10 a certainty..considering player, age, contract-status).

Consider:

- after his PO-showing, Edm prob can't afford McD & Leon(long-term). So, it would fit really well for them, cap-wise

- Bo & McD were pretty chummy at the ASG. It's hard to imagine a more ideal 1-2 punch, for a team to assemble

- Drai would be an obvious #1 in Van, lessening the pressure on other C's arriving in the coming years

- Both currently unsigned RFA's

As Van fans, we'd have to drop the homer-goggles & accept a 1-for-1 in highly unlikely. So I'll give two example-proposals:

OPTION #1:

Van sends: Bo, Tanev & Granlund

EDM: Drai

Sekeras..likely to miss a large chunk of coming season, but signed 3 additional yrs (NMC, so could refuse)

Khaira (local kid with size, who'd represent a significant minority within the local Van population)

2nd OPTION: (if Sekeras refused)

Drai

Maroon

Mark Fayne, mediocre RH-D (1 last yr of 3.6 mill, & he'd likely be dropped)

**************************************************::                    **********************************************************************

3  Questions...

1- Would you accept either deal ?

2- Would you accept a different deal(pls submit)?

3- Would you not trade Bo, regardless of Leon-pkg(even straight-up, 1 for 1)?

Lastly..this is NOT A HARD-SELL! We're required to post with the PROPOSAL-tag. I'm interested in various fan-opinions. Trying to provide a thread where we can all chime in, on likely a controversial direction.

If anything, consider it curiosity on our fan's valuations of the above players.

16 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

It feels like heresy to even ponder the notion.. but we're all big kids here, so I think it's worthwhile to confront the question..What IF?!

What if Chia-pet were to call up JB with a Bo/Drai offer? A GM's responsibility to listen, right? After the PO's the guy just had, got to be one of the most valuable singular assets, league-wide(top-10 a certainty..considering player, age, contract-status).

Consider:

- after his PO-showing, Edm prob can't afford McD & Leon(long-term). So, it would fit really well for them, cap-wise

- Bo & McD were pretty chummy at the ASG. It's hard to imagine a more ideal 1-2 punch, for a team to assemble

- Drai would be an obvious #1 in Van, lessening the pressure on other C's arriving in the coming years

- Both currently unsigned RFA's

As Van fans, we'd have to drop the homer-goggles & accept a 1-for-1 in highly unlikely. So I'll give two example-proposals:

OPTION #1:

Van sends: Bo, Tanev & Granlund

EDM: Drai

Sekeras..likely to miss a large chunk of coming season, but signed 3 additional yrs (NMC, so could refuse)

Khaira (local kid with size, who'd represent a significant minority within the local Van population)

2nd OPTION: (if Sekeras refused)

Drai

Maroon

Mark Fayne, mediocre RH-D (1 last yr of 3.6 mill, & he'd likely be dropped)

**************************************************::                    **********************************************************************

3  Questions...

1- Would you accept either deal ?

2- Would you accept a different deal(pls submit)?

3- Would you not trade Bo, regardless of Leon-pkg(even straight-up, 1 for 1)?

Lastly..this is NOT A HARD-SELL! We're required to post with the PROPOSAL-tag. I'm interested in various fan-opinions. Trying to provide a thread where we can all chime in, on likely a controversial direction.

If anything, consider it curiosity on our fan's valuations of the above players.

You read my mind. These are the type of deals that when proposed both sides say hell no .based on rose coloured glasses. 

I think going forward The Oil know it will be hard to keep both. The fact Drai can play wing is A big plus if Petterson and Gaudette become good enough for 1st and 2nd line centres Allowing Drai to move to the wing. 

I think A fair deal would be BO and Tanev With maybe us adding A second or third.for Drai and Fayne that seems pretty fair. Given they need A guy like Tanev no matter how much they deny it

Both sides might hate it. Which usually means it's A fair trade. Heck, I'll throw in Megna if that seals the deal lol.

One thing that does have me curious is why both players haven't been locked up yet. Given Chia and JB both said last month it was A priority. Especially after Mcdavid signed. I'm sure its nothing but kind of makes you wonder why both these rfa's with little wiggle room haven't been signed yet

3 minutes ago, bp79 said:

You read my mind. These are the type of deals that when proposed both sides say hell no .based on rose coloured glasses. 

I think going forward The Oil know it will be hard to keep both. The fact Drai can play wing is A big plus if Petterson and Gaudette become good enough for 1st and 2nd line centres Allowing Drai to move to the wing. 

I think A fair deal would be BO and Tanev With the Oilers cap moving forward that seems pretty fair. 

Both sides might hate it. Which usually means it's A fair trade. Heck, I'll throw in Megna if that seals the deal lol.

One thing that does have me curious is why both players haven't been locked up yet. Given Chia and JB both said last month it was A priority. Especially after Mcdavid signed. I'm sure its nothing but kind of makes you wonder why both these rfa's with little wiggle room haven't been signed yet

Yeah..valid points. Was also thinking the BJ's might try to swing a deal(Werenski & PLD)?

Perhaps Philly or the Canes, with their wealth of great young D, for possible packages.

Wonder if Chia-pet would want to widen this Drai-initiative? After the Hall/Larsson criticism(prob unjustified), prob a 5 or 6 player deal(both teams), feels safer, & insulates somewhat from a freak injury, or poor season(of any principle-asset)?

Both Crosby and Malkin took up just as high a % of the cap as McDavid and Draisatl likely will. The Oilers can and will keep both and try and build around those two down the middle. I am not sure why people keep overvaluing depth, you pay your stars whatever they are worth in order to keep them. Letting go of Draisatl so that you can sign the likes of Ladd/Eriksson/Lucic/Okposo for "depth" is foolish. Top talent is extremely hard to acquire in the NHL you can find depth in the draft like Pittsburgh and Tampa have done. 

6 minutes ago, D-Money said:

The chances of Edmonton dealing Draisaitl are very low already.

But dealing him within the division? Not a chance in hell.

& then the regular argument goes..."Well if Gretzky can be dealt, blah, blah..."

Yet I'd counter that we're simply living in a new era, where comparisons(& tired cliches) have less meaning.

Consider:

- This interconnected-era, where every team feels close by, in one way or another.

- Cap system. What's more, now almost every team is to the hilt in cap-spending. There was more wiggle-room for more teams, even a half-decade back.

We know there's 14 mill coming off our books next summer. Also that Van's market will spend, & want to climb back more quickly.

I don't even know if I'd go for it. Bo's a great kid.

Just think there are some compelling reasons it could be considered(by both parties).

Just now, Toews said:

Both Crosby and Malkin took up just as high a % of the cap as McDavid and Draisatl likely will. The Oilers can and will keep both and try and build around those two down the middle. I am not sure why people keep overvaluing depth, you pay your stars whatever they are worth in order to keep them. Letting go of Draisatl so that you can sign the likes of Ladd/Eriksson/Lucic/Okposo for "depth" is foolish. Top talent is extremely hard to acquire in the NHL you can find depth in the draft like Pittsburgh and Tampa have done. 

A market like Pitt can attract more affordable perimeter-FA's than Edm can. Teams like Edm & Winn often must overpay for depth.

I don't see 21/22 mill(for 2 C's) working in that market.

Just now, D-Money said:

The chances of Edmonton dealing Draisaitl are very low already.

But dealing him within the division? Not a chance in hell.

I think both gms are of the school of what makes them better not what division they are in. Gillis thank god it worked out. had A much better offer the 6th a 2nd and nurse for Corey basically 2 high firsts. We settled on 9th because of that old school thinking. Sure there might be A  tax for it. but it's starting to be done now more than when guys like Burke and Gillis were around

7 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

they'd want Bo, Boeser and Juolevi. I'd rather offer sheet LD. 

Due to this thing called the cap, I'd insist they seperate their 'wants' & 'needs'.

We build young.

They go for it now.

If they tried to twist that reality, I'd(were I the GM) simply hang up.

6 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

they'd want Bo, Boeser and Juolevi. I'd rather offer sheet LD. 

I am leaning toward them demanding something similar to this to let Drai go. While value wise it may be even it would decimate the nucks prospect pool. 

One thing to remember is that Bo was not a pick of JBs so if he gets an offer that he sees as fair you can bet he would consider it. My personal opinion is that I do not believe JB holds any loyalty towards Horvat and would view him as any other asset and definitely not off limits in any trade. 

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Due to this thing called the cap, I'd insist they seperate their 'wants' & 'needs'.

We build young.

They go for it now.

If they tried to twist that reality, I'd(were I the GM) would hang up.

BO and Tanev is the most id be willing to go. They don't like it. Like you said 21 mill in that market on 2 centres, not A good mix. And for those who say you pay the superstars what they want. This is the cap era. Ask the Hawks how that's working out for them. If Hossa doesn't get LTIR they are in deep $&!#e. It already cost them Panerin No matter what spin Toews and other Hawk fans want to spin.As for the Pens last I heard they were shopping their most productive playoff performer for the last 2 years. Or the Caps gutting that roster just to sign their rfa's. And in 2019 Leaf fans are gonna be crying in the street. 

2 minutes ago, bp79 said:

BO and Tanev is the most id be willing to go. They don't like it. Like you said 21 mill in that market on 2 centres, not A good mix. And for those who say you pay the superstars what they want. This is the cap era. Ask the Hawks how that's working out for them. If Hossa doesn't get LTIR they are in deep $&!#e. It already cost them Panerin No matter what spin Toews and other Hawk fans want to spin.As for the Pens last I heard they were shopping their most productive playoff performer for the last 2 years. Or the Caps gutting that roster just to sign their rfa's. And in 2019 Leaf fans are gonna be crying in the street. 

Indeed. The old arguments are losing sway. I like that JB isn't allergic to dealing with anyone.

I CAN understand Gillis's rationale, at that time(2010~12); but we needed this current shift in philosophy.

I'm just going to play the skeptic role and say that Draisatl puts Edmonton very strong down the center, almost like Pittsburgh who have won how many cups now?

He's one of those players where if an offer sheet comes at him and you're Edmonton, you pay for it. He's one of those players where players like Horvat need more pieces in order to even think of trading. Even then, a bunch of smaller pieces do not generally make up for what it lost from that one player. Players like Drai do not grow on trees.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Edmonton declined Horvat, Tanev, and a pick or something along those line, not unless if Drai actually wanted out of Edmonton. which I haven't heard of anything like that.

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I'm just going to play the skeptic role and say that Draisatl puts Edmonton very strong down the center, almost like Pittsburgh who have won how many cups now?

He's one of those players where if an offer sheet comes at him and you're Edmonton, you pay for it. He's one of those players where players like Horvat need more pieces in order to even think of trading. Even then, a bunch of smaller pieces do not generally make up for what it lost from that one player. Players like Drai do not grow on trees.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Edmonton declined Horvat, Tanev, and a pick or something along those line, not unless if Drai actually wanted out of Edmonton. which I haven't heard of anything like that.

All reasonable what you say here. I'd counter the minute they inked McD above 12 mill, a Drai-deal became more possible. Consider their(very reasonably priced) D-core if we took Sekeras, & they landed Tanev.

Klefbom - Larsson (8.3 mill)

Russell - Tanev (8.5 mill)

Nurse - Gryba/Benning(peanuts)

With McD & Bo down the middle, they'd be damn formidable for a longgg time.

Also Poolparty arriving(3 yrs of ELC) to offset the power fwd loss of Drai.

...unfair really.

Archived