The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Hobey Baker Winner Will Butcher to test market on Aug. 15th

The positive:

We could say that recent college signees have gone on to play with the Canucks in a significant role right away. Hutton, Stecher and Boeser among them.

The negative:

We were the 2nd worst team last year, he's leaving the 1st worst (Colorado). We seem to have a set 7-8 D heading into camp.

7 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

what ever happened to the butcher the canucks drafted a few years ago? is he garth's boy?

We drafted him in 2005. He is Garth's son.

Played 4 years of college then a handful of pro games before leaving hockey 6 years ago.

He could literally end up anywhere and slot right into the NHL so I think he'll pick a young-ish successful team like the Leafs or Devils. If I were a GM I'd be offering him big bucks but more importantly a top-4 role, and the Canucks can offer that. Sure we have Edler on the decline and should play 20 mins next season, and Hutton and MDZ on the left hand side who are far from top pairing defencemen.

Butcher could very easily fit into our top-6 and maybe even our top-4 if his success translates to the NHL, and hopefully we have some NCAA connections on our side.

Archived