The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Hobey Baker Winner Will Butcher to test market on Aug. 15th

The Canucks would have to offer him a guaranteed roster spot for him to even consider van but I highly doubt Benning will do that. A team like Toronto will give in to all his demands and give him all the signing bonuses possible. 

The response from his agent regarding him joining the Canucks sounds rather cut and paste, probably the same for many teams in the NHL. "We will see" is basically the key words here, which pretty much means they'll listen to the teams that call them and then decide. lol 

2 hours ago, Stelar said:

If it's about opportunity as his agent says, is Colorado not the best choice?  Their D suck. 

Joe Sakic has so badly mismanaged the Avalanche that it's really not at all shocking to see Butcher haul ass away from that tire fire. What's shocking is that Butcher played for the University of Denver -- so living/playing in Colorado really wasn't a *problem*... it's likely that he doesn't want to be part of that right now (and who can really blame him).

Canucks are definitely a landing spot because I don't believe Juolevi, Wieroach, Subban, Biega, or Subban are locks by any means. He could slot in here as a 3rd pairing guy. Butcher likely ends up in Edmonton, though.

Alex Kerfoot, on the other hand, is the pending college UFA I suspect ends up in Vancouver due to his dad's close business ties to the city of Vancouver.

Not a hope, don't even think about it—he ain't coming here.

There, I've said it. However, given my inability to even predict the past with any accuracy, there's possibly a glimmer—oui?—non?

1 hour ago, JC2 said:

The Canucks would have to offer him a guaranteed roster spot for him to even consider van but I highly doubt Benning will do that. A team like Toronto will give in to all his demands and give him all the signing bonuses possible. 

I'd be fine with giving him a spot.  I'm not comfortable with either of the free agents we picked up so there's no real downside.

3 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

The positive:

We could say that recent college signees have gone on to play with the Canucks in a significant role right away. Hutton, Stecher and Boeser among them.

The negative:

We were the 2nd worst team last year, he's leaving the 1st worst (Colorado). We seem to have a set 7-8 D heading into camp.

Hey, what are you, Trumps kid? (That's too funny!)

I don't see our D as set at all.  Butcher could easily knock out of the top 6.  Edler, Hutton & Stecher, in this line up below, are all probably set higher in an NHL line up than they should be?

Edler / Stecher

Hutton / Tanev

Del Zotto / Gudbranson

wide open / wide open

And I dont see any reason Butcher, a speed and skill player, could not out duel Holm, Pedan, Biega or Wiercioch for a 7th or 8th position. They can tell him, look at Stecher; we told him if he deserved to be there, he might start in the AHL, but they got him in the line up.

He also might embrace a top pairing on Utica role as a stepping stone.  Knowing full well Edler & MDZ are not long for this Canuck world in a 5 year plan.

16 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

My prediction - Blackhawks, Penguins, or Leafs.

All worthy candidates. But I'm going to go off the board and suggest the Washington Capitals. With the losses of Shattenkirk and Schmidt, they certainly have a spot for him, and they are still going to be a competitive playoff team.

There have been 3 other defensemen who have won the Hobey Baker in the last 15 years: Jordan Leopold, Matt Carle, and Matt Gilroy.

So although adding Butcher would be nice, he's not necessarily going to be a significant difference maker. 

Archived