The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Andrei Markov to the KHL

He's old, slow, and just not the player he once was.  Understandable his choosing to finish his career back home.  Heck, if he has an out clause, a team might pick him up before the 2018 TDL as playoff insurance.  

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I've made my decision to move back to Russia and play in the KHL." - Andrei Markov.......sorry Andrei, you didn't make that decision,  it was forced on you. 

Nah, I'm thinking him reportedly wanting 6 million a year probably had something to do with it. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He's old, slow, and just not the player he once was.  Understandable his choosing to finish his career back home.  Heck, if he has an out clause, a team might pick him up before the 2018 TDL as playoff insurance.  

He still had 36 pts last season - more than any Canucks D.  He explained that he couldn't see himself playing for another team but Montreal and that he hasn't closed the door to a return in a year.  He's still a great passer and they are definitely going to miss him.

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Nah, I'm thinking him reportedly wanting 6 million a year probably had something to do with it. 

That ridiculous ask, although likely a starting point for negotiations,  probably didn't help him get any interest - but there's no way I believe he's going back to Russia willingly.   He wanted to be in the NHL and is trying to leave with some dignity - which I respect, but don't believe. 

19 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I've made my decision to move back to Russia and play in the KHL." - Andrei Markov.......sorry Andrei, you didn't make that decision,  it was forced on you. 

I bet he had offers, just not near the money he was asking for

• 4 months later...

Andrei Markov would have liked to return to Montreal this season, but felt disrespected by Marc Bergevin.

“As an athlete and as a person who spent 16 years of their life in Montreal, I’d have liked it if they had respected me. That’s all I was asking for from the team.”

“I’m going to be honest with you,” Markov told Le Journal de Montreal's Jonathan Bernier. “There was practically no negotiations with Montreal. I got two or three offers from them and they said, ‘Either you sign or you don’t sign.' No one listened to me and no one wanted to listen to me. That’s what happened. So I had the choice to sign on their terms or to leave and find a new team.”

"It wasn’t a question of money, it was a question of the way it was presented to me. We didn’t even talk. I didn’t like the way they made their offer. There were no discussions. Just an offer made and that’s it."

10 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Andrei Markov would have liked to return to Montreal this season, but felt disrespected by Marc Bergevin.

“As an athlete and as a person who spent 16 years of their life in Montreal, I’d have liked it if they had respected me. That’s all I was asking for from the team.”

“I’m going to be honest with you,” Markov told Le Journal de Montreal's Jonathan Bernier. “There was practically no negotiations with Montreal. I got two or three offers from them and they said, ‘Either you sign or you don’t sign.' No one listened to me and no one wanted to listen to me. That’s what happened. So I had the choice to sign on their terms or to leave and find a new team.”

"It wasn’t a question of money, it was a question of the way it was presented to me. We didn’t even talk. I didn’t like the way they made their offer. There were no discussions. Just an offer made and that’s it."

Yeah. I saw the press conference by Bergevin at the time when he said he had made "first come first served" offers to Markov and Radulov.  He seriously dropped the ball on both negotiations 

13 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Unbelievable this guy still has a GMing job imo.

Loses two key pieces like Markov and Radulov.  Markov could have been had short term, Radulov is worth every penny they would have spent on him - and both could have been returned at no assets cost.

Instead he overspends dramatically on a prima donna finesse forward - losing a Calder candidate defenseman - precisely what they need in the absence of Markov, ironically - in the process.

Radulov brings all the production that Drouin does - he does it in harder minutes - and he brings a heavier, nastier game than Drouin, something the Habs need perenially.

Radulov vs Drouin alone is a questionable trade off but when you factor in that they lost Sergachev in the process, what an utterly moronic move.

Ironically, the Habs are finally getting their crap together - going on a run recently - without Drouin in the lineup.

Frustrating to say the least to watch what this GM is doing to that franchise.

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

Unbelievable this guy still has a GMing job imo.

Loses two key pieces like Markov and Radulov.  Markov could have been had short term, Radulov is worth every penny they would have spent on him - and both could have been returned at no assets cost.

Instead he overspends dramatically on a prima donna finesse forward - losing a Calder candidate defenseman - precisely what they need in the absence of Markov, ironically - in the process.

Radulov brings all the production that Drouin does - he does it in harder minutes - and he brings a heavier, nastier game than Drouin, something the Habs need perenially.

Radulov vs Drouin alone is a questionable trade off but when you factor in that they lost Sergachev in the process, what an utterly moronic move.

Ironically, the Habs are finally getting their crap together - going on a run recently - without Drouin in the lineup.

Frustrating to say the least to watch what this GM is doing to that franchise.

I love watching the $&!# show there. If you refuse to hire anyone but Frenchies/former Habs and there are dozens of more qualified people you reap what you sow. Stupid moocher province. ;) 

Archived