The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

LEFT SIDE DEFENCEMEN (DISCUSSION)

I find this a very intriguing list to forecast into the future

I will put their age and  remaining contract years beside them

I am wondering where this group sits in the following years.....................this year...................1 yr................2 years................4 years

Edler (31)............... 2 yrs remaining    UFA

Del Zotto (27)......... 2 yrs remaining    UFA

Hutton (24)..............2 yrs remaining    RFA

Pedan (24)..............1 yr remaining      RFA

McEneny (23)..........2 yrs remaining    RFA

Holm (25)................1 yr remaining      RFA

Wiercioch (26).........1 yr remaining      UFA

Juolevi (19)..............ELC    sliding 3 yrs remaining RFA

Brisebois (20)...........ELC    3 yrs remaining RFA

Tryamkin (22)...........RFA rights until July 1st, 2022

Does anyone want to guess where everyone goes the next 4 years on LHD

Any trades?

I have to admit, I am very confused on where Benning is heading with this..........

I think we've got a nice staggered progression on the left and right sides. Far from ideal, certainly not deep or elite but enough to keep us going.

Edler is still unfortunately our top left handed defenceman until proven otherwise, but I hope he takes a time-cut down to 20-22 minutes a night max. We can't burn him out at 23-25 mins a night or he'll be as useless as we've seen him, and he'll be a lot slower this year.

This is Hutton's big year, he really needs to step up. He's expected to be our top-4, 2nd left handed defenceman but has to show more consistency. Regardless, he'll be a steady 20+ minute guy on the left handed side. Best case scenario is that he knocks Edler off the top, worst case scenario is that he has another big minus season, rubbish defensively and costs us goals on the ice but I don't see the coaching staff cutting his ice-time because we need him.

MDZ is purely a replacement for Sbisa and as such, will be expected to play the 3rd left handed position to start the season I'd imagine. At best he's our 2nd best guy if he out-competes Hutton for ice-time, worse case scenario he ends up on the bench, but I think he'll start the season on our bottom pairing and do well there.

Wiercioch to me is Tryamkin's replacement and a low-risk high-reward signing. He played well for Colorado and has some potential still untapped, and could easily steal games from Del Zotto in particular. He'll be invaluable in the games where we need more grit and size, and especially if and when injuries start to rack up. I expect he'll play around 40 games next season for us, and will play them well, especially if we complement him with a fast-skating righty.

Holm is purely the plugger here, a replacement for Phillip Larsen really and more than anything else, someone to try and keep Juolevi far away from the NHL. He's still relatively young and is another low-risk high-reward signings. At the best, he'll play 30ish games for us as an injury fill in, at the worst he'll end up in the press-box or Utica, but I think he's very similar to the Larsen signing but with a fair bit more upside. If he has PP success he'll draw in far more often than not.

On the whole, we've got Edler > Hutton > Del Zotto > Wiercioch > Holm on the left side, which should be enough to keep Pedan and more importantly Juolevi far from the NHL. For me, we know Edler will be worse and slower, we know what we'll get out of Del Zotto and Wiercioch and Holm's seasons don't matter to much. This defence's season really rests on Hutton's performance IMO. He could really break out or dwindle a bit this coming year so lets hope he has a big year. He's primed for a 40+ point season.

Edler - Stays a Canuck until his contract expires; only waives his NTC for a SC contender with a familiar face in it (i.e. fellow Swede, former Canuck) and in the last year of his contract

Del Zotto - Trade bait for 16-17 season, if not next season at most

Hutton - Stays a Canuck for a while, but I can potentially see him as a trade chip if the return is right

Pedan - 7th D-man at most, but I ultimately see him moving back and forth with Utica

McEneny - Remains an AHL D-man only called up when circumstances on the blue line are dire

Holm - Potentially a bottom pairing guy in the NHL, but I can see other D-men on this list taking a spot over him

Wiercoch - A physical depth guy, but as much as I like to see local talent play for us, in the next few years, I don't see him in our line-up 

Juolevi - Top 4 D-man, at the very least

Brisebois - Top 6 D-man; plus, I feel he has the potential to be a leader in our locker room 

Tryamkin - If he makes a return, he's a Top 4 guy, unless VAN has filled the blue line with a line-up that can compensate for his size and physicality by then

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I find this a very intriguing list to forecast into the future

I will put their age and  remaining contract years beside them

I am wondering where this group sits in the following years.....................this year...................1 yr................2 years................4 years

Tryamkin (22)...........RFA rights until July 1st, 2022

Does anyone want to guess where everyone goes the next 4 years on LHD

Any trades?

I have to admit, I am very confused on where Benning is heading with this..........

Albeit, Tryamkin leaving was a major hiccup, I have been happy trading Edler for nearly a year.  (I had been more resistive to out & out rebuilds, more than most.) And I still believe trading Edler is a good idea.

Where I don't want to see Tanev traded. We do not have this ^^^ kind of depth in RHD's. Or anyone like Tanev?  

Montreal also suddenly does not have Markov.

To Montreal > Edler, 2018 4th.

To Vancouver > Nikita Scherbak, 2018 1st.

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Considering what Methot (2020 2nd), Emelin (2019 3rd), Schlemko (2019 5th), TVR (2017 2nd) and Beaulieu (2017 3rd) all went for recently, I seriously doubt Edler would garner that type of return.

i'm not for rushing players into the nhl, but if juolevi comes in and makes the big club, out of training camp, things could get really interesting.  RD is pretty easy to figure on. 

imo, as of right now, we are lacking  top pairing defensemen. maybe in time juolevi and   .............

52 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Considering what Methot (2020 2nd), Emelin (2019 3rd), Schlemko (2019 5th), TVR (2017 2nd) and Beaulieu (2017 3rd) all went for recently, I seriously doubt Edler would garner that type of return.

U'r no fun.

Probably right.

But no fun...

8 hours ago, DragonSlayer14 said:

McEneny - Remains an AHL D-man only called up when circumstances on the blue line are dire

All reports out of Utica indicate McEneny may in fact be proving he's much more than a career AHL'er.   He's opened a lot of people's eyes down there. 

Overall,  I'd say moving forward in this process there's one positive in JB's favor and that is financial and contractual flexibility throughout the D-core. We have literally no dead-weight contracts and only 1 (maybe 2 if we want to flip Tanev ) slightly problematic NTC contracts.  OTOH,  we lack at least 1 more truly elite caliber PMD prospect in the franchise which we'll have to address in the very near future. 

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

U'r no fun.

Probably right.

But no fun...

I think Edler is more likely to get a solid return, and waive his NTC, in the last year of his deal - perhaps even at the 2019 trade deadline. At that point, he may be worth a late 1st, especially with retention.

If Alex would consider a move this season, and management wants to clear his spot earlier, there's one fit that seems clear to me: the Ottawa Senators. If they are in a playoff spot again, and Claesson ain't cutting it, getting a LD to play with Karlsson will be high on their list. Edler has a lot of International experience with EK. Add in the recent history with the Burrows trade (which ended up working out quite well for both sides), and it seems quite logical.

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

All reports out of Utica indicate McEneny may in fact be proving he's much more than a career AHL'er.   He's opened a lot of people's eyes down there. 

I'd be happy if McEneny proved me wrong and made it into our line-up. The reason I evaluated him the way I did is due to our depth. I see Pedan and Subban ahead of him in the call-up chart, as well as Holm competing with him to be our 10th D-man this upcoming season. And in the next few seasons, we have Juolevi, Brisebois, and potentially Chatfield pushing themselves into the mix, not to mention any Stecher-like signings JB may pull and D-men from future drafts that may force their way into the line-up immediately. He might become an NHL D-man at some point in his career, but he's going to have to work quite hard to become one on the Canucks.

21 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Tryamkin (22)...........RFA rights until July 1, 2022

After looking at this for a while, it dawned on me that the highlighted players are probably our starting LHD within 2 years, with honorable mention to McEneny. This leaves Edler and Del Zotto as TDL chips. Edler this year, and Del Zotto next year? This leaves us with a young developing defense with good size , skill and speed on the left side. IMO this completes our Left Defense.

In looking at our Right Defense, I believe we are out of sync with the rest of our core.....................and we need to focus on it over the next 2 years..............it is shallow in depth and in size, with our entire RHD list consisting of ...

Tanev (27)

Stecher (23)

Gudbranson (25)

Chatfield (21)

I actually like the 4 Dmen, but we are a little lite on size and offense. I am wondering what we do to add to this group, or do we also change the group and add to it? I am unsure! The possibility of moving Edler could get you a young RHD prospect, and there is a number of RHD in next years 2018 Draft.

Do we trade down and go after a 1st round RHD at the draft or do we just use our 2nd and draft the next RHD available?

I wonder when this answer will be more clearer.......? If Benning just lets it ride until the draft, it will be a very interesting draft, unless we get a top 3, even then, it will be interesting..........the trouble with rebuilds is you always need so much!

On 7/28/2017 at 1:12 AM, Canuck Surfer said:

Albeit, Tryamkin leaving was a major hiccup, I have been happy trading Edler for nearly a year.  (I had been more resistive to out & out rebuilds, more than most.) And I still believe trading Edler is a good idea.

Where I don't want to see Tanev traded. We do not have this ^^^ kind of depth in RHD's. Or anyone like Tanev?  

Montreal also suddenly does not have Markov.

I think Montreal could be a good fit for Edler.

Edler

2018 4th round pick

For

Jordie Benn

Scherbak/Juulsen

2018 2nd round pick- Lower pick between Chi-Mtl pick

1 hour ago, Yotes said:

I think Montreal could be a good fit for Edler.

Edler

2018 4th round pick

For

Jordie Benn

Scherbak/Juulsen

2018 2nd round pick- Lower pick between Chi-Mtl pick

Montreal traded away Beaulieu because they could only protect 1 of him and Benn. They kept Benn be cause he fit in very nicely with what Julien is doing. 

Also. They already moved their top D prospect for Drouin. Juulsen is their only real blue chip D prospect. They may be willing to move Sherbak. But scoring is another weakness and Sherbak and Hudon are their best prospects in that regard. 

I dont see see this as a trade Montreal would make. It seems like overpayment for Edler (whom I'm not a fan of). But honestly I've given up trying to find the logic in Bergevin's recent moves. So who knows 

On 7/27/2017 at 11:26 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

On the whole, we've got Edler > Hutton > Del Zotto > Wiercioch > Holm on the left side, which should be enough to keep Pedan and more importantly Juolevi far from the NHL. For me, we know Edler will be worse and slower, we know what we'll get out of Del Zotto and Wiercioch and Holm's seasons don't matter to much. This defence's season really rests on Hutton's performance IMO. He could really break out or dwindle a bit this coming year so lets hope he has a big year. He's primed for a 40+ point season.

If he looks anywhere near as good at main camp as he did in Prospect's Game and during his own regular/playoff seasons, your statement about Juolevi simply seems at odds with logic.   He has added the body mass for the NHL  game.   He has NHL skating ability in spades.   He has NHL IQ oozing from him.   Why would you keep such a player out of the NHL if that was next logical development step for them.   They guy screams potential elite Dman - and you think the most important thing is keeping him far away from the NHL?

Archived