The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Liberals Leadership Race - Andrew Wilkinson Wins

DonLever

19 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Haha. So did Hillary and now none of them are in office. So there's that.

And then there's you bringing up American politics. Btw she didn't win under the American system.

Both systems have flaws. In Canada if you won every seat in Ontario and Quebec and lost every other seat in Canada you would form a majority government. 

The Provinces are the same idea, the majority of B.Cs seats are in the lower mainland. Obviously it's clear why but it makes so many votes useless. 

I like the French system where the top 2 have a runoff election. 

13 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

And then there's you bringing up American politics. Btw she did win under the American system.

Both systems have flaws. In Canada if you won every seat in Ontario and Quebec and lost every other seat in Canada you would form a majority government. 

The Provinces are the same idea, the majority of B.Cs seats are in the lower mainland. Obviously it's clear why but it makes so many votes useless. 

I like the French system where the top 2 have a runoff election. 

Hilary Clinton won the popular vote but that means absolutely nothing because US Presidential elections are won through winning the Electoral College.  

Donald Trump won the US election because he got the most votes in the Electoral College.

1 minute ago, DonLever said:

Hilary Clinton won the popular vote but that means absolutely nothing because US Presidential elections are won through winning the Electoral College.  

Donald Trump won the US election because he got the most votes in the Electoral College.

My bad, typo. Was suppose to be didn't. 

I wonder if they good people of Kelowna west  will move and select Conservative Party in the byelection.

After the poor treatment they received from the last MLA  CC , i wonder if these good people will vote for change.... ?  

They must really feel short changed on what they  got from their last MLA........

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I wonder if they good people of Kelowna west  will move and select Conservative Party in the byelection.

After the poor treatment they received from the last MLA  CC , i wonder if these good people will vote for change.... ?  

They must really feel short changed on what they  got from their last MLA........

I can't believe they voted for her in a byelection in the first place. She was already defeated, I hate that as leader someone just happens to want to retire so the leader can run in a safe riding. How on earth can we call this a true democracy?

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Lol as if.

Might be their safest riding

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

I can't believe they voted for her in a byelection in the first place. She was already defeated, I hate that as leader someone just happens to want to retire so the leader can run in a safe riding. How on earth can we call this a true democracy?

I hope the good people of West Kelowna come to their senses and finally decide to vote for effective governing.

I am not sure how strong the Green Candidate is in that riding though. 

44 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I hope the good people of West Kelowna come to their senses and finally decide to vote for effective governing.

I am not sure how strong the Green Candidate is in that riding though. 

I'm only in Penticton in the summer so I am not the best expert in how Kelowna or Westbank feels.

On 1/25/2018 at 9:08 PM, Ryan Strome said:

I'm only in Penticton in the summer so I am not the best expert in how Kelowna or Westbank feels.

Kelowna/Westbank are as safe as it gets.

Ben Stewart is a solid guy with roots in the area.  Shelly Cook is a decent candidate too but is more of a long shot with good reason.

Stewart stepped aside for Clark after she lost point grey in her home riding but was elected in 2009 overwhelmingly

I don't see any reason the same won't happen as Kelowna residents are making money hand over fist in property values

30 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Kelowna/Westbank are as safe as it gets.

Ben Stewart is a solid guy with roots in the area.  Shelly Cook is a decent candidate too but is more of a long shot with good reason.

Stewart stepped aside for Clark after she lost point grey in her home riding but was elected in 2009 overwhelmingly

I don't see any reason the same won't happen as Kelowna residents are making money hand over fist in property values

Imo Kelowna will become the new Vancouver.

Update:

From Global:

An estimated 60,000 party members were eligible to vote online and by phone to replace Christy Clark, who resigned after the New Democrats formed a minority government with the support of the Green party following a non-confidence vote that brought down the Liberals.

Dianne Watts came out on top of the first count with 24.54 per cent of the vote. Michael Lee finished second with 22 per cent and Andrew Wilkinson came in third with just over 18 per cent of votes. Todd Stone and Mike de Jong finished fourth and fifth respectively.

Sam Sullivan dropped out of the race after finishing sixth with just 1.82 per cent of votes.

Archived