The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] NHL.com article about Boeser

Rubik

I honestly think that Boeser has as much chance as guys like Rodin, Gagner, Goldobin, Burmistrov and Boucher. There are a lot of fringe full-time NHLers getting an opportunity with this Canuck team and Boeser has to contend with them, despite being our future. It's a good thing JB has done - bring in low risk high reward guys and at the same time, give us some internal competition so that the kids aren't gifted roster spots

Boucher scored 5 goals in 27 games as a bottom-6 winger last year with the Canucks. 

Rodin looked great in pre-season and only scored 1 assist in 3 games before getting hurt again.

Burmistrov had 14 points in 26 games with Arizona last year.

Gagner obviously had 50 points.

Goldobin had 3 goals in 12 Canuck games.

The question is, who will be the most improved and where does Boeser fit in there. Literally anything could happen.

I expect Gagner to play a top-6 role all season long, will probably get top PP and Horvat time as well during the season.

I expect Goldobin to be in and out of the dog-house and out of the lineup for at least half the season.

I expect Rodin to be a real wildcard and impress us a lot if he stays healthy. Bottom-6 still and maybe 30-40 games with the Canucks.

I expect Boucher to be in and out of the lineup as well but when he's in, scoring 10-15 goals (20ish goal pace)

I expect Burmistrov to have a big season. I think he'll start in our bottom-6 and get a chance due to injuries during the season. I have a feeling he'll score 30-40 points with us.

I expect Boeser to be up and down, in and out of the lineup and back and forth Vancouver and Utica.

Basically, anything could happen, any of those players could play in Utica or in our top-6. It's really up to the players now, JB has done his job, he's giving them all a decent chance, now let's see who takes the opportunity.

I truely believe Boeser comes into camp and proves without a doubt that he deserves to be on the opening night roster.

What needs to happen is Green playing Bo and Boeser on the same line building upon the chemistry they showed at the end of last season.

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, was neither ignorant at that post or the poster - in fact was trying to make his/her point even stronger by pointing out an exact situation from Canuck's past.    Which helps it be even a true statement with an actual example.    Not sure why you took exception to that - whatever.

Without your further explanation, though, I hadn't understood your post and wondered why you were calling the poster you replied to Jason King. 

It did, as you say, bring in a further example to boost the post you were quoting, but the words "Is that you" seem to me to be asking the poster you're replying to if he is that person (who flamed out.)  When I saw your post I wondered why you were insulting the poster when it appeared from the example you used that you were agreeing with him.

I wouldn't have called you ignorant (and accept fully that you didn't intend it) but did find your post puzzling.

11 hours ago, qwijibo said:

I don't think that's necessarily true. Lots of players come into the league and light it up for their first few games. Then fall off. Boeser looks like a fantastic prospect. But placing expectations on him based on a 9 game stretch is short sighted.  Let him come in to camp and earn his spot. Then take it from there. 

The best players in the league (and of all time for that matter) don't allow themselves to believe that they can't get better. The best players continuously push themselves to be the best, even when they already are. I see that in Boeser. If he ends up being that, he'll be one of the biggest steals in Canucks draft history.

2 minutes ago, BowtieCanuck said:

The best players in the league (and of all time for that matter) don't allow themselves to believe that they can't get better. The best players continuously push themselves to be the best, even when they already are. I see that in Boeser. If he ends up being that, he'll be one of the biggest steals in Canucks draft history.

Based on 9 meaningless games? I feel bad for the poor kid coming into the organization with completely unrealistic expectations.

16 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Boeser came in the day after playing for UND and scored for the Canucks. He then scored some more over the next few games. This off season he is fully aware of his competition and I'm sure he'll be ready, and even better than he was. If he doesn't make the Canucks and goes to Utica, I will be shocked, and disappointed. Maybe it is putting pressure on him, but he doesn't appear to be affected by any pressure.

My guess is he makes the team, Rodin doesn't, Burmistrov doesn't, and Gagner plays the wing with Eriksson and Sutter as line mates. Dorsett is pretty much done IMO.

RWers: Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen and Gagner.

Boeser needs to get faster. I thought that was pretty apparent EVEN though he scored 5 points. I think he realises that and I'm sure I read somewhere that he planned to work on his speed.

Even at prospects camp he didn't look fast enough to me. 

He will do well to keep a fit Rodin out because I think Rodin has as good if not a better release and is quicker and more agile. See Rodin's goal at 2.00

Rodin is older so the comparison is a bit unfair but it will be a comparison to be made nevertheless.

8 hours ago, tyhee said:

Without your further explanation, though, I hadn't understood your post and wondered why you were calling the poster you replied to Jason King. 

It did, as you say, bring in a further example to boost the post you were quoting, but the words "Is that you" seem to me to be asking the poster you're replying to if he is that person (who flamed out.)  When I saw your post I wondered why you were insulting the poster when it appeared from the example you used that you were agreeing with him.

I wouldn't have called you ignorant (and accept fully that you didn't intend it) but did find your post puzzling.

It's called humour and/or irony - feel free to give either a try.   :)

16 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I expect Boeser to be up and down, in and out of the lineup and back and forth Vancouver and Utica.

They aren't gonna toss him around. It's frustrating to be up and down like that, no reason to do that. Keep him up or keep him down (unless he's melting the AHL).  

24 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Boeser scored 47 goals with 39 assists for me in NHL 17. Playing 3rd line with Sutter and Boucher. Also had 2nd unit PP time. Good sign right? B)

Shinkaruk went up to a 90 and only commanded 4.5m a year in nhl 15. 

Boeser is a better player but still cut those totals in half for now.

2 hours ago, playboi19 said:

Shinkaruk went up to a 90 and only commanded 4.5m a year in nhl 15. 

Boeser is a better player but still cut those totals in half for now.

Shink never gets above 80 in my game :o Boeser got 5.5 over 6 years in my game though. Bo asked 6. I am liking our future.

Edit: Didn't read that it said NHL 15. Lol. Listen here guy. Shink would have become that 90 overall if we gave him a chance. Just like how we are stunting Subban's growth by not giving him a shot. PK said he was the better brother. smh Benning.

On 8/1/2017 at 11:29 AM, NUCKER67 said:

The fact that Boeser came in and scored 4 goals (5 pts) in his first 9 NHL games, and still doesn't have a spot says a lot about the pieces VAN has. Really hoping he makes the team and challenges for that Calder. He could score 30 goals this year. I predict he beats out Rodin for a spot.

says a lot about the pieces VAN has:  You mean like Chaput, Megna, and Eriksson?

I like the article.  Woodley usually does good work.

It's telling about Boeser but it's also telling about the Canucks.  If any of you are wondering if the talk out of head office about internal competition is all just talk, look at what Boeser is saying.  "I think it's going to be really competitive," Boeser said. "Just signing those guys [Gagner, Burmistrov, Rodin] turns things up another notch."  Boeser is going to have to bring his big boy pants to camp with him and he obviously knows it.  Look what else he's saying since he has been working out with veteran players.  He sees "What it takes to be an everyday NHLer, how in shape they are, and how they take care of their bodies and the way they eat," Boeser said. "Just watching those guys do all those things taught me a lot."

And if your wondering what is going to happen at camp, they're going to separate the wheat from the chaff.  It's go time for these guys and if they don't get it, they can think about it on the bus in upstate New York.

Excited for camp.  There will be lots of growing pains during seasonal play this year but by the end of it I hope we know who is going to stick with the group.  Smart for Benning to be insisting on 1 year contracts.  Is that what is holding back the Gaunce signing?

22 hours ago, stawns said:

Based on 9 meaningless games? I feel bad for the poor kid coming into the organization with completely unrealistic expectations.

God no. From his behaviour off the ice mostly. He seems to carry himself as someone dedicated to continually improving himself. I feel bad for the people who think its all about performance on the ice that makes someone become a great player.

26 minutes ago, BowtieCanuck said:

God no. From his behaviour off the ice mostly. He seems to carry himself as someone dedicated to continually improving himself. I feel bad for the people who think its all about performance on the ice that makes someone become a great player.

I agree completely.  In the end, it is a performance based industry I guess.

5 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I like the article.  Woodley usually does good work.

It's telling about Boeser but it's also telling about the Canucks.  If any of you are wondering if the talk out of head office about internal competition is all just talk, look at what Boeser is saying.  "I think it's going to be really competitive," Boeser said. "Just signing those guys [Gagner, Burmistrov, Rodin] turns things up another notch."  Boeser is going to have to bring his big boy pants to camp with him and he obviously knows it.  Look what else he's saying since he has been working out with veteran players.  He sees "What it takes to be an everyday NHLer, how in shape they are, and how they take care of their bodies and the way they eat," Boeser said. "Just watching those guys do all those things taught me a lot."

And if your wondering what is going to happen at camp, they're going to separate the wheat from the chaff.  It's go time for these guys and if they don't get it, they can think about it on the bus in upstate New York.

Excited for camp.  There will be lots of growing pains during seasonal play this year but by the end of it I hope we know who is going to stick with the group.  Smart for Benning to be insisting on 1 year contracts.  Is that what is holding back the Gaunce signing?

Nice post.

I think the takeaway here is simply that Brock is a really good player. Proven at every step.

Expectations are bound to be heightened, but he's for real. Vancouver has needed a guy like this to arrive for a while now. He's here to stay.

I foresee a competitive camp. We have some guys that have interesting skillsets that are burgeoning and too many to ice at a time. The only difference with Brock Boeser is that he may be the best player on the ice, period.

The fact that they signed so many ufa's means that they would prefer the kids to be in Utica unless they force their way onto the team.

That's the way it should be. I predict that Boeser makes the club!

3 hours ago, appleboy said:

The fact that they signed so many ufa's means that they would prefer the kids to be in Utica unless they force their way onto the team.

That's the way it should be. I predict that Boeser makes the club!

Boeser is the one that I see with the highest chance but won't be surprised if he's in Utica. Disappointed, but not surprised.

On 8/1/2017 at 11:48 PM, PunjabiCanucks said:

Baertschi - Horvat - _______

Sedin - Sedin - ___

Ericksson - Sutter - 

Just looking at the first 3 lines. Only reason I have Baertschi  is the chemistry him and Horvat already have. Sedins are a shoo in as are Sutter and Ericksson.

Notables we are missing IMO are Boeser, Gagner, Granlund, Goldobin, Burmistrov, Virtanen,  & Rodin

Now most likely the 4th line will have Dorsett (overpayed) &potentially Gaunce. 

Going forward based off last year, my lines are :

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Sedin - Sedin - Goldobin

Ericksson- Sutter - Gagner

Gaunce - Granlund- Dorsett

Missing are Burmistrov, Virtanen, and Rodin..

Now I am not familiar with Burmistrov, but Virtanen and Rodin need to get top 6 minutes to see where they are at. Its now or never for these 2

What about ...

Sedin - Sedin - Granlund

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Ericksson- Sutter - Gagner

Dorsett - Burmistrov - Goldobin 

I know Goldobin in the 4th line is kind of a waste but this would also mean the team has four lines of balanced scoring. And of course you could also but Goldobin in PP opportunities. 

I don't see a place for Goldobin in the top 6 yet and don't see him fit in the bottom 6. 

I also find it hard to see Boeser fit into the top 6 now that Gagner has been signed. I don't see him on the 4th line either. A lot depends on how fit Rodin is and if Dorsett has recovered to be able to play (even without fighting which would be hard for him) a competitive 4th line role.

Gagner HAS to play on the top line with Baer and Bo OR on the second with the Sedins. It is a waste to put his size and skill further down when we need goals.
I don't think Goldobin has the work ethic or stamina to go with the twins otherwise I might have dropped Granlund to the 3rd or 4th if either of Rodin or Dorsett was unfit and slotted Goldy in.

I see this line up nearer the mark purely because Green imo is like WD and he will insist on a high work rate. Maybe Virtanen can come up for an injury if he has progressed but until then I see Goldy, Boeser, Boucher and Virtanen in Utica.

Baertschi - Horvat - Gagner

Sedin - Sedin - Granlund

Ericksson- Sutter - Rodin

Gaunce - Burmistrov - Dorsett

Basically I am looking at 3 x 2nd lines with pretty equal minutes and a 3rd line.

Archived