The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal - Keep Chris Tanev

So what if we keep Tanev? Pending injuries, the Canucks would finally get into a season with adequate defensemen. Nobody would be gifted a spot and anyone who isn't currently set in the lineup getting a spot would do so because they earned it. If someone gets bumped, they would get traded for a minor piece (3rd round pick).

The Canucks might be able to push for an 8th seed with a defensive unit that can actually play in the NHL. Games wouldn't be blowouts as often. As fans, there would be something to cheer for as they might have a chance to win on a nightly basis.

Maybe it isn't so crazy to keep him around :bigblush:

My own take on this from the beginning of this 'rebuild' has been to keep Tanev unless some GM offers a deal this franchise cannot refuse - in other words,  we don't trade him for equal value,  we only trade him for overpayment.   This scenario only happens at the TDL as contenders get ready for their run.   If,  as some might point out,  this scenario never materializes,  no problem - could there be a better mentor on the roster for the up and coming defenseman in the franchise - probably not.  Either way we're in a win/win situation imo with Tanev - how many times in recent history were we able to say that with one of our proven vets? 

the crazy thing would be to dump him for late round picks or old players. Its a win-win thing for us, keep him and we have a solid player, or trade him for a deal that makes sense (quality prospects, late 1st round, etc.). Anything else is just tankist nonsense. If/when he gets injured thats ok too, it will allow us to see what we have in other players. 

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

My own take on this from the beginning of this 'rebuild' has been to keep Tanev unless some GM offers a deal this franchise cannot refuse - in other words,  we don't trade him for equal value,  we only trade him for overpayment.   This scenario only happens at the TDL as contenders get ready for their run.   If,  as some might point out,  this scenario never materializes,  no problem - could there be a better mentor on the roster for the up and coming defenseman in the franchise - probably not.  Either way we're in a win/win situation imo with Tanev - how many times in recent history were we able to say that with one of our proven vets? 

we both posted 'win-win' at the same time. jinx. 

Perhaps the only Tanev proposal I've agreed with so far. :)

It's like we get a decent "potential trading pawn" and everyone thinks we can and should get the sun, the sky, and the moon for him and somehow keeping him is not an option. It made me stop looking at most proposals really. lol

We are in no rush to trade him, but he has high value. We aren't going to win any cup soon and shouldn't even push for a playoff spot. Are best course of action is to tank, kind of why I guess mgmt wants the rookies to be at Utica in a winning environment there.

TO will come knocking this year as they havent improved significantly on D and they will be better upfront

We might HAVE to deal him, cos' his name is hard to rhyme for Nucker-poetry.

Really like Tan-man..classy kid & damn smooth. Would be like Burr, where I'd basically have to cheer for the team he went to(no Hawks, B's, Kings or Pens pls).

IF we could land key youth(say age 19~22) that seem sure to figure prominently, we've gotta mull it hard. As others stated though, Tans is brilliant for pairing with young D, to learn & gain confidence.

I'd wait till the deadline and see what comes up. There are quite a few decent shut down defensemen available in 2018 free agency. If we get a good offer for a young player and/or a high draft pick I'd consider moving him.

I know that anything can happen in the playoffs but I can't see the canucks making a lot of noise. They'd be lucky to make it into the 8th seed and really lucky to get past the first round. The pacific division has gotten a lot tougher the last couple years. In a few years the California teams will be considerably weaker and the Canucks will have an opening to compete.

The Canucks have some good young pieces now. It's just a matter of being patient while they develop. I think they end up 25th in the league this year but I don't think that's a bad thing. Another chance to add to an impressive list of prospects

6 hours ago, Baggins said:

With how Tryamkin played last year I felt Tanev was expendable. With Try gathering his toys and going home, I have no problem with hanging on to Tanny for now.

How true.  Like most of us I was stoked with Tryamkins arrival as a bona fide NHL defenseman and his extensive possibilities.  Hope Benning doesn't stand pat and just let him do his thing in the KHL, but actively tries to keep ties and eventually convince him to come back.

I think the more young players making some noise and making sure he has a place on our defense with an appealing partner will only help his desire to come back.

As far as Tanev goes, TO is looking for exactly what he has to offer, and the more desperate things become with their all of a sudden win now media mentality, there may be an offer we simply can't ignore...

Seriously living back East the amount of excitement and belief that they are now a contender is humourous to say the least, TO fans have reached a border line delusional feeling that they have a three year window to win the cup.  That is how my most recent hockey discussion went while waiting in line to get gas...same as the last discussion a week ago. Funny. 

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

How true.  Like most of us I was stoked with Tryamkins arrival as a bona fide NHL defenseman and his extensive possibilities.  Hope Benning doesn't stand pat and just let him do his thing in the KHL, but actively tries to keep ties and eventually convince him to come back.

I think the more young players making some noise and making sure he has a place on our defense with an appealing partner will only help his desire to come back.

As far as Tanev goes, TO is looking for exactly what he has to offer, and the more desperate things become with their all of a sudden win now media mentality, there may be an offer we simply can't ignore...

Seriously living back East the amount of excitement and belief that they are now a contender is humourous to say the least, TO fans have reached a border line delusional feeling that they have a three year window to win the cup.  That is how my most recent hockey discussion went while waiting in line to get gas...same as the last discussion a week ago. Funny. 

I wouldn't say they have a 3 years window exactly. As long as they have Matthews and Nylander they'll have a formidable chance at a cup. They do have many young pieces on ecl contracts at the moment though. Toronto winning a cup in the next 3 years is definitely plausible and Tanev would go a long way towards accomplishing that.

11 hours ago, HockeydownUnder said:

I wouldn't say they have a 3 years window exactly. As long as they have Matthews and Nylander they'll have a formidable chance at a cup. They do have many young pieces on ecl contracts at the moment though. Toronto winning a cup in the next 3 years is definitely plausible and Tanev would go a long way towards accomplishing that.

Exactly! They have years to build a cup winner and this window the media is pushing and the fans are buying is comical.  When I heard three year window I laughed because I thought it was a  joke ( first time was a charity golf event a month ago,  and I was the only Canuck fan, mostly Ottawa and Leaf fans given its close to Ottawa) but he was dead serious and then I spent the evening listening to the table debate the his and why of it.  Then again at the gas pump I heard there's this three  year window again, now I just shake my head.  Is this how we look when talking about Vancouver to other hockey nerds who follow different teams?

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

Exactly! They have years to build a cup winner and this window the media is pushing and the fans are buying is comical.  When I heard three year window I laughed because I thought it was a  joke ( first time was a charity golf event a month ago,  and I was the only Canuck fan, mostly Ottawa and Leaf fans given its close to Ottawa) but he was dead serious and then I spent the evening listening to the table debate the his and why of it.  Then again at the gas pump I heard there's this three  year window again, now I just shake my head.  Is this how we look when talking about Vancouver to other hockey nerds who follow different teams?

There are always some Canuck fans that want to sell the farm for a push. Some actually believe we are stanley cup contenders currently. The rose color glasses of some are thick.

I genuinely feel apathetic for Toronto fans. Vancouver's gone 46 years without a cup but Toronto's gone 49. On top of that we have two game 7 appearances in the final. Toronto hasn't been to the Stanley Cup final in 49 years.

When I realized that I couldn't bring myself to make fun of them anymore. 

14 hours ago, HockeydownUnder said:

There are always some Canuck fans that want to sell the farm for a push. Some actually believe we are stanley cup contenders currently. The rose color glasses of some are thick.

I genuinely feel apathetic for Toronto fans. Vancouver's gone 46 years without a cup but Toronto's gone 49. On top of that we have two game 7 appearances in the final. Toronto hasn't been to the Stanley Cup final in 49 years.

When I realized that I couldn't bring myself to make fun of them anymore. 

We also have more fifty goal scorers than them....shocking considering they are an original six team, and more individual hardware since we joined the league too, shocking considering how little we've managed...

Edit: it's fun to pick on them...

11 hours ago, IBatch said:

We also have more fifty goal scorers than them....shocking considering they are an original six team, and more individual hardware since we joined the league too, shocking considering how little we've managed...

Edit: it's fun to pick on them...

Was fun. The 2 best teams to pick on for the last decade was Toronto and Edmonton. I don't mind them getting an exceptional talent each. Frankly they deserve it.

I don't think the Canucks will be as bad for as long as they were but you never know. Our prospect pool is looking great. Perhaps with a little luck (we can't get shafted in 3 straight drafts... right?), we may end up with an exceptional talent of our own.

1 hour ago, HockeydownUnder said:

Was fun. The 2 best teams to pick on for the last decade was Toronto and Edmonton. I don't mind them getting an exceptional talent each. Frankly they deserve it.

I don't think the Canucks will be as bad for as long as they were but you never know. Our prospect pool is looking great. Perhaps with a little luck (we can't get shafted in 3 straight drafts... right?), we may end up with an exceptional talent of our own.

Never had it I for the Oilers given grew up with there greatest teams, also felt bad for them losing Gretzky ( Canada in general went a little mad), Coffey, and eventually Messier and the rest, although seven of them got together to ruin it for us in 94, if that group stayed together they could have won ten cups.  It's nice to see them finally getting it back.  Toronto is a different animal, I liked the Gilmour and Clark show, but that's about it.  A TO EDM final with Toronto losing would be great.  

Archived