Rush17

Gilman with the best Horvat insight yet

Rate this topic

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/audio/gilman-we-saw-two-way-play-with-horvat-but-maybe-not-this-offence-1.820517

talks deep into Horvat signing.  even makes a bit of a botchford troll lol.  he says bo was drafted at 6. seemed like it was staged to get Oilers rumours up again.  

but all in all great insight. talks in depth about bo and Newport sports. whom he has made several deals with in the past. he says new port doesn't usually hold players out.  

they try to make it work. overall just a good in-depth breakdown of how contract signings unfold.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, apollo said:

Firing LG was one of the worst moves of the TL / Jimbo dictatorship...

poor guy probably just disagreed with the outrageous contracts they were handing out. 

Also wasn't Bo #9th overall?

Laurence says 6th OA at first and then corrects himself and says 9th OA.

24 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/audio/gilman-we-saw-two-way-play-with-horvat-but-maybe-not-this-offence-1.820517

talks deep into Horvat signing.  even makes a bit of a botchford troll lol.  he says bo was drafted at 6. seemed like it was staged to get Oilers rumours up again.  

What does his draft position have to do with?

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, apollo said:

poor guy probably just disagreed with the outrageous contracts they were handing out. 

Somebody had to go to make room for Weisbrod. <_<

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

but all in all great insight. talks in depth about bo and Newport sports. whom he has made several deals with in the past. he says new port doesn't usually hold players out.  

they try to make it work. overall just a good in-depth breakdown of how contract signings unfold.

Could someone explain this to me?

38 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Some reports say 6 years at just over 5M. I'd be happy with that.

This would be good, really anything in this range would work, might be a bit above 5M.

34 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I'm not going to jump to conclusions on the Gilman firing. I'm willing to bet there was more behind the scenes than what meets the eye there. Perhaps it's was as simple as you guys make it out to be. Most likely, it wasn't.

Great interview though.

As much as Torts was an Aquaman hire,  Gilman was an Aquaman firing imo.  

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

what about all the outrageous contracts Mike Gillis handed out, LG was there for them.

The talent of the 2011 team would not have been assembled without those contracts. So it was a calculated risk  but they certainly weren't untradeable  (Bieska, Lou, Kes, Burr)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Toews said:

Somebody had to go to make room for Weisbrod. <_<

I'm not really a Weisbrod fan but I have to admit that we've done pretty well on trades with the Flames and our USHL/NCAA scouting, both of which he's very likely played a role in.

I am a big Gilman fan though and would have loved to have seen him kept around, even with Weisbrod hired. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like they could all coexist. And Gilman was too closely associated with Gillis so I don't really fault the team for cleaning house. That said, I also think Henning was a loss (and one only recently seeming to have been compensated for with the recent staff shuffles and RJ's promotion to Utica GM).

• Upvote 1

If Jim can lock up a 30 year old UFA for 6x6 money I see no compelling reason to not add 2 to make it 8 years for a 22 year old Bo a  bonified two way player.

money management at its best with the current executive group. 

I hope they nail this contract.Either way it will be good 6 years or 8 .

I kind of think if Gilman was still here this would be done now?

Edited by bobbyg43
Our next Selkie award candidate?

2 hours ago, apollo said:

Most likely, heard he wasn't a fan of the Dorsett and Sbisa contracts. Which are both pretty big overpayments imo. Way too much money for a 4th liner and an bottom pairing d-man.

Seems like Benning is improving a bit on contracts, but then again the Eriksson contract is probably one of the worst in the league... Makes no sense to me considering almost everyone knew Eriksson was only going to get slower and decline due to his age... 

• Upvote 1