The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let's Be Patient, eh?

Nuxfanabroad

Just read the Desert Dog's D-man, Chychrun, had knee surgery & is out indefinitely. Then look at a young stud like Ekblad, realizing the kid's ALREADY been through concussion-Hell, more than once.

Probably has been stated plenty, but I prefer we don't rush our youth into the show. Today I'm thinking mostly of OJ, as the D position skaters sure take their lumps. Hold him back one more yr, seems ideal to me.

Also think they(prob most every pro team) push all these kids endlessly. Why the Hell do they have this summer tourney?! I heard Gallagher ranting on this yest, & it's one thing I'd certainly agree with the guy about. The body & mind probably require at least 6~8 wks away from a sport as intensive as hockey.

As we're firmly into a period of selecting/developing the next generation of team, I hope mgt/fans hold a similar view. Train & play hard..but let these kids recharge their batteries.

1 minute ago, xereau said:

OJ skated circles around the Jets' and Oilers' prospects in last years Young Stars Tourney.  I expect the same this year.  He is going to be real gud.

Yes, & we fans ogled the skills of Ekblad/Chyc like a teen boy spying shapely lasses at the beach. I think a lot of teams are guilty of ruining top young talents. We'd better not go too far down this path.

Good post, interesting take. I agree, especially with D-men, not to rush them. I really can't wait to see Juolevi in a Canucks uniform on a regular basis, but I would hate to see him injured his first year or overwhelmed and struggling. Going from London (OHL) directly to the Canucks (NHL) may be asking a lot. Of course, it's up to him. If he thinks he's ready and shows he is, then how can you deny him playing? Injuries do happen, to all players.

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Good post, interesting take. I agree, especially with D-men, not to rush them. I really can't wait to see Juolevi in a Canucks uniform on a regular basis, but I would hate to see him injured his first year or overwhelmed and struggling. Going from London (OHL) directly to the Canucks (NHL) may be asking a lot. Of course, it's up to him. If he thinks he's ready and shows he is, then how can you deny him playing? Injuries do happen, to all players.

Yeah..just think the wide range between an enthusiastic, talented 19 yo(who's ALWAYS dominated), & a confident, methodically-developed 21 yo, is more significant than most appreciate.

Patience is a virgin.

12 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Yeah..just think the wide range between an enthusiastic, talented 19 yo(who's ALWAYS dominated), & a confident, methodically-developed 21 yo, is more significant than most appreciate.

Patience is a virgin.

Unless it's Jake. If he's not in the NHL when he's 20/21 he sucks.

Ekblad's concussions or Chychrun's knee have nothing to do with being "rushed" into the NHL.  Injuries happen, period.

Ekblad scored 39 pts as a rookie in the NHL.  1st overall - he was ready to play in the NHL, plain and simple.

Juolevi should make the team when he's ready and earns it - "holding him back" beyond that point makes no sense - that's what should dictate when he makes the NHL, not tangential concerns about injuries.

32 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Just read the Desert Dog's D-man, Chychrun, had knee surgery & is out indefinitely. Then look at a young stud like Ekblad, realizing the kid's ALREADY been through concussion-Hell, more than once.

Probably has been stated plenty, but I prefer we don't rush our youth into the show. Today I'm thinking mostly of OJ, as the D position skaters sure take their lumps. Hold him back one more yr, seems ideal to me.

Also think they(prob most every pro team) push all these kids endlessly. Why the Hell do they have this summer tourney?! I heard Gallagher ranting on this yest, & it's one thing I'd certainly agree with the guy about. The body & mind probably require at least 6~8 wks away from a sport as intensive as hockey.

As we're firmly into a period of selecting/developing the next generation of team, I hope mgt/fans hold a similar view. Train & play hard..but let these kids recharge their batteries.

the 1040 crack squad were saying that there is some actual talk about loaning OJ to the Finish team Salo is a coach with, so to me that would be ideal prep year for OJ to get stronger and learn from one of the best D guys this team has ever had, and then bring him up for the 2018/19 season. 

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/audio/kuzma-juolevi-working-with-salo-playing-in-finland-a-smart-move-1.821507

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

No patience. Play all the rookies now! Fire Benning! Grrrr!!!!!

No kidding.  A few years ago it was pitchforks everywhere with the expectation that the team integrate some kids into the lineup.  Near universal expectation that the likes of McCann and Virtanen should be on the roster.

A year or two later, the hindsight superstars complaining that the team rushed the prospects.

Reality is that the city would have been lit on fire again if those kids were assigned and the team had gone with veterans.

36 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

the 1040 crack squad were saying that there is some actual talk about loaning OJ to the Finish team Salo is a coach with, so to me that would be ideal prep year for OJ to get stronger and learn from one of the best D guys this team has ever had, and then bring him up for the 2018/19 season. 

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/audio/kuzma-juolevi-working-with-salo-playing-in-finland-a-smart-move-1.821507

I really believe in keeping / getting our Euro top prospects into the best Euro leagues at 19 and 20.  

The leagues may be a tad, ?, down on the AHL in some components. But the overall talent is outstanding.  Playing in a pro league in Europe, the Liiga, or however it is spelled, would vastly be better than another year in junior for OJ.

He would make some money, be closer to home, play against better competition. 

* edit * So I would prefer, for example, that Dahlen go back to Sweden, play in the SHL this year. A step up on the Division 2 team he played on last year with Petterson. His draft plus 2 year. And hope he is then capable of being a top player in the SHL. Play his draft plus 3 year in the AHL. Be available for callups, and actually jump to the NHL if he was ready? But start with the Nucks in his draft plus 4 year. 

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Ekblad's concussions or Chychrun's knee have nothing to do with being "rushed" into the NHL.  Injuries happen, period.

Exactly. Chych got hurt earlier this week during off season training. Even I could get injured working out over summer. A bit of a low bar.

I agree we shouldn't rush the youngins, but that's just 'cause I think it can stunt their development.

I am 100% for patience.

Olli has been stellar in the "O", but he still needs to gain more size. He, also, needs to play against experienced pros through a longer season. 

I would prefer to see him, either back in the OHL or in Finland, playing with the Finnish Elites for a season before going to the "A" for one more. I can see him suiting up for Vancouver in the 2019/2020 season.

Juolevi thinks he is ready.

I'm with Olli.  (Pronounced Aw-Lee, not Oh-Lee you 1040 dimwits.)

He'll not only make the team, but will very soon be our best D.

IMO, of course.

Also, I think the old Detroit model of letting them stew in the minors is now refined to, if they're ready, play 'em.

After all, what has Detroit done since Lidstrom retired, stew or no stew.

We just need to ensure we have the beef to back up the kids when the stew hits the fan.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Absolutely agree. I have complained several times on CDC about moving players along too quickly but, for some reason, Benning has ignored me.  (He does read CDC, right?)

Not only does moving guys to the NHL too quickly often slow down player development and expose guys to a higher risk of injury, but it also burns time off their entry-level deals and time to become a UFA.

do we have a choice?  haha!  

it will all work out, we will have another good team with a shot in 5-10 years...   patience...  enjoy the process - especially now that the management is making better moves that correlate closer to reality!  reality is a harsh mistress (the reference to Heinlein is intentional)!

peace

Archived