The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Projecting Horvat, Baertschi, & Granlund from Comparables

Misconduct16

8 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He is actually quite solid (hard to knock off puck), is one of the faster Canucks (even his draft year scouting report used the term "explosive" - Google is your friend) and he scores most of his goals in the tough areas where physically matters.

Not sure, therefore, I find agreement to any of your main points on this player. 

Well I'll agree to disagree with you on your google scouting report... I'm basing my opinion on watching him play. Baer is not out skating anyone from what I have seen, for a smaller player this makes it doubly hard for him to be a factor, especially for one who cannot out battle other players (my opinion). But you are right and as I said in my post he has shown a knack for going to the net but he needs players to get the puck into the zone and feed him the puck as he is not a driver of play imho. Not a player who deserves big dollars from my perspective.

38 minutes ago, Canucklehead73 said:

Well I'll agree to disagree with you on your google scouting report... I'm basing my opinion on watching him play. Baer is not out skating anyone from what I have seen, for a smaller player this makes it doubly hard for him to be a factor, especially for one who cannot out battle other players (my opinion). But you are right and as I said in my post he has shown a knack for going to the net but he needs players to get the puck into the zone and feed him the puck as he is not a driver of play imho. Not a player who deserves big dollars from my perspective.

Google was the source of his Central Scouting data - I have watched him since junior and he has good speed and a great first step.   He is not a "smaller player" as at nearly 6' and 190-95 he is damn solid.   I would say given the strong junior career he had, the pedigree of being a high first round pick and now having found his game - I am loathe to limit his ceiling but you can do that as your prerogative. 

Well I would love Baer to keep getting better, not like my opinion of his skills limits his ceiling in any way that I can think of, I am just hoping we don't overpay.

We can agree to disagree on his skating prowess and his physical abilities. Baer has scored 28 points 2 years ago and 35 points last year.  He is still young but so far he has not been a game breaker very often, nor is he a defensive player, just don't want us to get saddled with a bad contract as our youth comes in outplays him.

On 8/4/2017 at 2:12 PM, Misconduct16 said:

Making a cheeky comment about the current weather in no means conveys, or attempts to convey, any sort of disparaging comment towards the people that are battling the fires. The fact that is what you took out of that baffles me.

my apology. I obviously took it the wrong way.

It's a war zone up here, Air index of 49 this weekend. People living on cots at the arena, in their campers and just no relief in site, breathing this air 24/7

Sorry for being sensitive, but we are barely hanging on here 

Us on the lines are working non stop, we are exhausted

On 8/4/2017 at 1:56 PM, Fateless said:

Image result for worlds smallest violin gif

Thank your for that. Everyone evacuated thanks you. you should be proud of yourself for the support you have shown. Fateless, I hope you never have to go through this. If you do our home is open to welcome you and your family.

18 hours ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Thank your for that. Everyone evacuated thanks you. you should be proud of yourself for the support you have shown. Fateless, I hope you never have to go through this. If you do our home is open to welcome you and your family.

It sucks that you've been impacted by the wildfires. lt truly does. 

But that doesn't mean you need to be a whiny prick to people on the boards because they make a joke about the smoke ruining their summer. 

On 8/9/2017 at 7:51 AM, Fateless said:

It sucks that you've been impacted by the wildfires. lt truly does. 

But that doesn't mean you need to be a whiny prick to people on the boards because they make a joke about the smoke ruining their summer. 

whiny prick?  Wow, is this the world according to Fateless? you must be fun to be around

so creative, such insight

Something like Rasks deal would be glorious for Bo. I like him so much I saw we give him an extra 500k AAV....

6 years 4.5 ... that's 27 mill! Gettirrrdunnnn Jimbo

Aquaman can throw in 5 million in condo's too. Under the table.

I honestly don't see Sven being a long term fixture on this team, he is just way too unpredictable and whether he will be willing to bring it every night.  Just really unsure what kind of player he is up to this point.  Regardless of what kind of year he has, id be weary of signing him long term. 

I'd rather use him as a package to upgrade to a definitive top six scorer.

1 hour ago, ruilin96 said:

Bo Horvat - Patrice Bergeron-lite

Sven Baertchi - Mason Raymond (less speed, but more grit)

Markus Granlund - Nick Bonino/Andrew Cogliano (strong 2-way forward who also has the potential to score 20 goals)

At the moment, I don't see Bo's game comparable to Bergeron at all.  Bo needs to work on his defensive game if he is ever to win a Selke.   Due to the lack of scoring (and 2nd line C) on the Canucks, Bo has focused more on his offensive game, which has effected his development of his defensive game.  Of course, he is still very young, so he still has time to catch up.  I just wonder how his development would be if he had had the luxury of playing in the 3C spot. 

I think you are underestimating Baer by comparing him to Raymond.  Sven is a very good skater; not as fast as Mason, but much better at handling the puck at high speeds.  He is a better 2-way player and a very good playmaker that can also score.

For whatever reason, he's a late bloomer, but I suspect he will continue to improve; especially if he has a sniper on his line.

Granlund's days as a C are likely finished, as he is a far better winger.  Another late bloomer from Cal, Markus looks like he has a high offensive upside and may turn out to be a perennial top 6 player who is a game breaker. 

Don't mean to sound critical of your suggestions.  After all...I haven't suggested other comparables in my response.::D

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

At the moment, I don't see Bo's game comparable to Bergeron at all.  Bo needs to work on his defensive game if he is ever to win a Selke.   Due to the lack of scoring (and 2nd line C) on the Canucks, Bo has focused more on his offensive game, which has effected his development of his defensive game.  Of course, he is still very young, so he still has time to catch up.  I just wonder how his development would be if he had had the luxury of playing in the 3C spot. 

I think you are underestimating Baer by comparing him to Raymond.  Sven is a very good skater; not as fast as Mason, but much better at handling the puck at high speeds.  He is a better 2-way player and a very good playmaker that can also score.

For whatever reason, he's a late bloomer, but I suspect he will continue to improve; especially if he has a sniper on his line.

Granlund's days as a C are likely finished, as he is a far better winger.  Another late bloomer from Cal, Markus looks like he has a high offensive upside and may turn out to be a perennial top 6 player who is a game breaker. 

Don't mean to sound critical of your suggestions.  After all...I haven't suggested other comparables in my response.::D

I get where you are coming from with Bo. I am aware that his defensive game as of now is no where near Bergeron level, but he can still develop and once we have our first-line offensive center in Pettersson ready to be the main guy offensively, I see Bo slot into a 2nd-line 2-way center role and his defensive game will come back. Don't forget, Bo's rookie season was spent on the 4th line and was great with Faceoffs and Willie had the confident in matching him against big names such as Crosby, Toews, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Thornton etc. and he does not look out of sync at all. It's when his second season comes along, the team lost a lot of depth and he was forced into playing higher in the line up and also have to be counted on to produce offensively. In this past season, he basically also carried the team offensively and he put a lot more of focus in improving his offense and his defensive game took a bit of a step back. However, when we have a dynamite first line center or a offensive first line center to produce, I can see Bo slot back perfectly as a 2nd-line center who plays well both offensively and defensively.

As of Baertchi, I think the biggest challenge for him is to stay consistent. I think he goes on hot and cold streaks, and when his on a hot streak he is unstoppable, but when his on his cold streak he is invisible. I see him as at 45-55 pt guy who produces lots of points for certain stretches of the season and some cold droughts that he is barely producing. That isn't necessary a bad thing as he would be perfect 2nd line winger, but if he can get more consistency, he can be a 60 pt guy, but realistically, he is more likely a 45-55 pt guy. What I like about Baertchi is he has a good attitude. No matter if he was demoted in the line-up or was scratched, he comes back the next game as a stronger and better player. He was criticize for being a perimeter player and have a bad defensive game when he was in Calgary, but he really worked hard to get rid-off those labels. He goes to the boards and dirty areas to retrieve and cycle the puck and later on last season, he was one of the regulars on the PK. These are all signs of a guy willing to work on and improve his game constantly.

As of Granlund, the problem with him at Center is faceoffs. He doesn't seem to win much draws, but just as good as his shot, he also have great offensive instincts in passing the puck and create offense. This reminds me of Bonino who was weak in the draw when he was here but also show flashes of brilliance with both his passing and goal scoring abilities. Granlund to me is more consistent than Bonino in the regular season. If Granlund can win some draws, he would of be a great 3rd line center, but if everyone else works out, I see the Canucks future top 3 center made up of Pettersson, Horvat and Gaudette. In this case, Granlund is perfect winger that we could put on either the 2nd and 3rd line. Granlund can also kill penalties and is a very useful guy that can be place anywhere in the line-up.

Again these are just my personal views and I agree with some of the points you made as well :)

Archived