The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van - Flyers

So lets get this straight.

We trade a top pairing, rare right handed dman, on a bargain contract, who is statistically one of the best players in shot suppression at the prime of his career, and a young versatile top 9 forward who has potential to improve upon his 19 goal campaign last season, also on a bargain contract.  If anything these two players are probably in the top 5 or 6 best players on the team. 

For Philly's trash and unproven prospect.

Andrew Macdonald has never lived up to the expectation of his 5 million multi year contract since signing with Philly.  He is slow, aging and provides nothing new to a team that desperately needs diversity in skill set.  Plus he clogs up the blueline of allowing younger assets moving up and we would be stuck with his contract for another 3 years.  He is a two way player but everything that Alex Edler already does for us, and Edler is significantly better than Macdonald. We are loaded on the left side, with Edler, Hutton, Del Zotto, Wiercoch, Holm and with already Juolevi, Pedan, McEneny knocking on the door to get time.  Macdonald has not played the right side at all in his career, so that makes no sense to acquire him.  Plus he is 31 this coming fall, so why would we want an overpriced, aging Dman, when we are trying to rebuilt, get younger, and make room for more skilled dman?   Plus he was placed on waivers several times in the last few years, teams could have had him for free, what makes you think at age 33, teams will want to trade for him and give up assets?  There is a reason why Philly desperately were seeking to move him.

Matt Read also north of 30 has seen better days, and has been relegated to the Flyer's fourth line much of last season. He hasn't scored more than 10 goals the past 3 seasons, and hasn't shown to be a playoff performer, so I wouldn't know any teams that would be lining up for his services.  Plays a perimeter game, and finds ways to also get injured.  With a crowded forward group as it is, he steals a spot from Goldobin, Virtanen, Rodin, Boucher, Boeser, and  for a rebuilding team, they need to make room to groom their players. His deal ends next season, and highly doubt teams want to accomodate his salary, so he becomes a wash in this deal.  

So you gamble on this deal to lay all the chips on the shoulder of a prospect who has suddenly popped up onto the radar within a year and who has yet to play a professional league game.  Has good raw skills, but hasn't seen hockey action since last christmas because of a concussion. Much of his game started to rise because his confidence was high, but since being out of action since christmas where is his confidence at? Hasn't shown enough even in junior to suggest he will be a consistent producer going forward, rather a late bloomer that caught eyes late in his junior career.   Is a promising prospect but far from being a sure fire.

So this deal all in all, is a large gamble, and rather is a waste of assets.  If you trade Tanev and/or Granlund, you better be sure what you are getting is far better than what you are giving up.  And even Tanev or Granlund alone holds far more value than the 3 players combined.  Jim Benning isn't going to give his players away, the Burrows and Hansen deal are a good inclination that he will squeeze every ounce from his deals for full value.  This deal heavily favors the Flyers by a long margin. 

Hmm everywhere I've seen says Macdonald plays on the right side next to Pronorov but I'll take your word on it. I figured the value would probably favor them but I didn't realize that Macdonalds play had slipped that much. The idea was for him to eat up the tough minutes that Tanev would have taken. He's still a top 4 defensemen, just an over paid one. Matt Reid is essentially a cap dump, but at one year is of little concern to the Canucks

The idea of acquiring Myers was to get a solid prospect that is close to making the jump. He isn't a sure thing but very few prospects really are. He hasn't played in the nhl yet but the Flyers blue line is really crowded so I figured they may want to move him.

I was considering Flyers adding draft picks, but would taking Granlund out make it an even trade? 

12 hours ago, HockeydownUnder said:

First proposal! I know it's the time of the season most teams stand pat but I tried to come up with something close to value that fits both teams needs.

Tanev + Granlund 

For 

Philippe Myers + Andrew MacDonald + Matt Read

I'm high on Granlund and giving him up hurts, but Myers is projected as the 10th best prospect not in the nhl. That's 2 spots behind Boeser and 8 spots ahead of Juolevi. Flyers have a glut of young defensemen and managed to win Nolan Patrick in the draft. I could see them looking to strengthen their line up for a push while Giroux and Voracek are still in their primes

Tanev is an upgrade for the Flyers over MacDonald and will save them half a million per season. MacDonald comes back to us and fills the spot left behind from Tanev. He has 3 years left on his deal, which Canucks can flip at the deadline in the last year for additional assets. 

Granlund gives the Flyers a secondary scoring punch they really need at an affordable cost for 1 year. Matt Read comes back the other way, also on a 1 way deal. He had some injuries and a poor season. If he improves his play from an injured off year, he can be traded for additional assets at the deadline. If not, he's on a 1 year deal and the Canucks can just let him go.

Myers, the prize of this transaction for the Canucks, is an undrafted 20 year old defensemen. He has earned high praise from the likes of Bob Mckenzie and Craig Button for his physical frame (6'5, 209 pounds), his above average skating, and his smarts offensively and defensively. Similar to Tanev in a lot of ways with more offensive upside. Here's a link for more info on him. 

https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.dobberprospects.com/philippe-myers/amp/

Thoughts?

Eliminate MacDonald and Read from the deal, add their first rounder next year and I'm all for it.

Tanev, Granlund

for

Myers, 1st rnd pick 2018

Myers is , far from a sure thing. I want better odds of getting something back. In this deal, I'm gambling that they don't make the playoffs and we get another shot at a top 3 pick in 2018. 

Holy overpayment, Batman!

For comparison's sake, Carolina managed to get Teravainen from Chicago for taking Bryan Bickell's contract, which had only 1 year remaining. But Andrew MacDonald has THREE years left at $5 million per. Taking that cap anchor alone would be worth far more than what you're suggesting. Then you add Tanev...AND Granlund?!?!?

12 hours ago, D-Money said:

For comparison's sake, Carolina managed to get Teravainen from Chicago for taking Bryan Bickell's contract, which had only 1 year remaining. But Andrew MacDonald has THREE years left at $5 million per. Taking that cap anchor alone would be worth far more than what you're suggesting. Then you add Tanev...AND Granlund?!?!?

Yeah I didn't realize how much Macdonald's play had slipped. I was hoping to trade Tanev for a slightly lesser slightly more expensive replacement with a good prospect coming back. I figured they have to add a pick but Macdonald being an anchor makes the deal very lopsided

On 8/9/2017 at 7:12 AM, D-Money said:

Yeah might as well ask for Provorov or Patrick to take on MacDonald, and forget about giving up Tanev in the deal.

Downgrade and taking on dead weight for Tanev, downgrade on Granny and all that there's to show for it is an unproven guy.  No dice.  1st round prospect back thanks Hextall.

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Van - Flyers

Archived