The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Signing a vet to help groom our youngsters

Absolutely not!  More than enough vets on the team.   Canucks already have +++ of depth up front and on defence.  No point in blocking a spot so that a young player gets sent to Utica or (possibly) is picked up on waivers.

Time to let some of the young players show what they have. 

On 8/9/2017 at 10:02 AM, apollo said:

As it stands, the Canucks are rebuilding and should hope to give as many roster spots to youngsters to develop their game... right?

(This seems to be the popular opinion from what I read on the forums... not everyone's opinion, just the popular one)

In 2007-2008 the Canucks finished last in the division... devastated fan base had no idea what was yet to come... an era of pummeling that same division and sheer dominance, cementing them as the greatest dynasty to ever play in the Northwest Division... banner after banner...  

What did they do in that summer? Offer an outrageous contract to veteran Mats Sundin (who I believe was 38 at the time)... and we all know how long it took for the contract to be signed, but eventually Mats did play for us and was a huge mentor for our players...  that team only had 5 regular skaters over the age of 30. Bolded were not impact players

13 Mats Sundin se C 37 6-5 231 R/- 17 February 13, 1971 9 G, 19 A, 28 P
38 Pavol Demitra cs C 34 6-0 200 L/- 14 November 29, 1974 20 G, 33 A, 53 P
6 Sami Salo fi D 34 6-3 215 R/- 9 September 2, 1974 5 G, 20 A, 25 P
27 Jason Krog ca C 33 5-11 185 R/- 6 October 9, 1975 1 G, 0 A, 1 P
10 Ryan Johnson ca C 32 6-1 199 L/- 10 June 14, 1976 2 G, 7 A, 9 P (can argue he was an impact guy too) 
2 Mattias Ohlund se D 32 6-4 233 L/- 10 September 9, 1976 6 G, 19 A, 25 P
8 Willie Mitchell ca D 31 6-3 210 L/- 8 April 23, 1977 3 G, 20 A, 23 P

Now fast forward to 2017... nearly a decade of dominating the NHL (minus 3 years)... once the best team in the league, has now become a laughing stock. Finishing 2nd last overall and clearly rebuilding after 3/4 horrendous years. 

The team is projected to start with many players in their early 20's and only has a few veteran presences on the team and sits with only 5 veterans... only 2 of which are over 32 years old and are arguably the greatest to ever play for the glorious franchise. 

2 Daniel Sedin se LW 37 6-1 190   16 September 26, 1980   $7,000,000
33 Henrik Sedin se C 37 6-2 183   16 September 26, 1980   $7,000,000
21 Loui Eriksson se LW 32 6-2 196   11 July 17, 1985   $8,000,000
15 Derek Dorsett ca RW 31 6-0 192   9 December 20, 1986   $2,500,000
23 Alexander Edler se D 31 6-3 214   11 April 21, 1986   $6,000,000

While Loui, Dors and Edler are good mentors, it simply is not enough. Lets not forget... that Henrik and Daniel were only 28 and Burr / Juice 27 when the Canucks brought over Sundin. Same age as Sutter, Gagner, Tanev, & Markstrom are today. Not to mention all the guys in their early 20's on the 2017 roster which will be impacted like Kesler, Edler, Hansen, Schneider, were. 

So what I'm trying to get at with 50% facts / 50% homer ramblings is that we should go after a veteran presence. We've got an incredibly young roster and we need mentor ship. The Sedins are as elite as it gets, but another voice won't do anything but help our youngsters. 

Possible Options... would you offer any contracts?  

• Jaromir Jagr... he would be the jackpot but perhaps can't handle the travel of Vancouver? He certainly knows what a great city it would be in to play. At 45 and coming off a 46 point season, he's the prize to be had. 
  • Shane Doan... can bring less on the ice than JJ but you can argue he has as good if not better character than JJ. 
  • Jarome Iginla... also scored 27 points like Doan... his impact would be incredible. Especially for Brock / Bo / Jake 
  • Mike Ribeiro... at 37 he's... hahah jk. Great on ice skills though, I wouldn't be opposed to a 1 year deal. Probably the last character you'd want near our young guys. 
  • Chris Kelly... if all fails, he could be a great character guy. Even on a 2 way deal to play in Utica? Maybe give him $800k NHL salary and $300k AHL? 
  • Francois Beauchemin... not much space on D but we have so many young dman... it could help? probably not a fit since we have 0 space on D though
  • Hudler or Vanek... 33 year olds... youngest of the bunch but both could provide an offensive spark and some leadership? I'd prefer Vanek.

I can't think of one younger player on the upcoming roster that needs help grooming themselves  They all have pretty good hair and decent hygiene from the looks of it. 

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I can't think of one younger player on the upcoming roster that needs help grooming themselves  They all have pretty good hair and decent hygiene from the looks of it. 

Such good hair... :lol:

Image result for brock boeser

I think we should totally sign Ribeiro, sign Avery, sign Ott, then fire green and have Ulf Samuelsson as head coach... maybe throw in Mike Milbury as assistant coach just to see how often he disagrees and gets into fights with Samuelsson.

Get er done Benning!

17 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I think we should totally sign Ribeiro, sign Avery, sign Ott, then fire green and have Ulf Samuelsson as head coach... maybe throw in Mike Milbury as assistant coach just to see how often he disagrees and gets into fights with Samuelsson.

Get er done Benning!

Bold move cotton... but it just might work.

giphy.webp

• 3 weeks later...

Archived