The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] College players rights expiring Aug. 15th

Capfriendly just posted this list, I figured it was worth a discussion:

DGzhIIRXkAATbmc.jpg

These guys were all drafted by teams but went on to spend the full 4 years at university, and either opted not to sign with the team that drafted them or were passed over. The two most notable being Will Butcher and Alex Kerfoot. I think there could be a couple gems in there. Gage Ausmus was the captain of the North Dakota team that won the championship. Blaine Byron played with Hutton, and just posted 41 points in 36 games. Evan Cowley put up ridiculous numbers in College, however never started or played a full season. 

Anyways, I figure the Canucks have the contract space, and could use the depth in Utica. It's also just as likely that some of these guys could accept Utica deals. It's also a fun exercise plugging their names into search engine. 

1 minute ago, Where's Wellwood said:

We only have like 4 contract spaces left right?

Showing 44/50. Though we still have to sign Horvat/Gaunce. So yeah, 4. I mean we could always take a shot at one of these guys, or hand them Utica deals. We're talking depth way down the line. The exception being Butcher (probably starts in the NHL), and Kerfoot. 

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Showing 44/50. Though we still have to sign Horvat/Gaunce. So yeah, 4. I mean we could always take a shot at one of these guys, or hand them Utica deals. We're talking depth way down the line. The exception being Butcher (probably starts in the NHL), and Kerfoot. 

I think it is unlikely the Canucks want to go up to the limit of 50 contracts at this stage. They will want to leave some flexibility. They always create space if necessary, but having some flexible space is helpful. As others have said, it would be great if the Canucks could sign a couple of these guys, with Butcher and Kerfoot being the two obvious choices. There will be competition for both guys and I don't expect Butcher to end up here, But the hometown factor could be important for Kerfoot and I think the chances he ends up in Vancouver are pretty high. Most high skill small scoring forwards in Junior or the NCAA do not do well in the NHL, but some do very well. Kerfoot certainly has a shot and I hope the Canucks sign him.

As for the other guys on the list, I have no idea, but I hope the Canucks are on top of it and pick up another good prospect somewhere. It would be great to pick up Kerfoot and another good prospect after August 15.

2 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Asterisk on that 44 because Juolevi's contact isn't active yet. 

Canucks have 23 expiring contracts next summer so I don't think management is too worried about getting too close the limit.  

So sign all the prospects. 

Would love to give Butcher a crack, but he'll probably end up in Pittsburgh. We should promise him top-6 minutes because let's be honest, he's probably better than most of our defence as it is and might well be the next Stecher. Not elite, but a future top-4 defenceman.

Only two that make sense to for the Canucks to sign are Blaine Byron and Alex Kerfoot. Maybe Ben Storm.

Alex because he's a centre and from Vancouver (his dad owns the Whitecaps, as has been pointed out before) and Blaine Byron because he's a feisty centre who, funnily enough, was a teammate of Ben Hutton's at the University of Maine. I thought Byron would sign in Pittsburgh (team drafted him) but it seems like the signing of Zachary Aston-Reese caused Byron to bail on the Pens.

Will Butcher would be nice but with Subban and Stecher already in the system as small defensemen, he likely doesn't land here. I expect Edmonton to land Butcher. Or Toronto.

I do like Dominic Toninato too but I suspect he'll end up with either Chicago, Minnesota, Vegas, or Carolina.

Ben Storm's also super intriguing. He's massive. A total Tryamkin replacement. Only problem is -- he has no offensive upside, whatsoever... something that Tryamkin had. Would be smart for the Canucks to pursue Storm aggressively but have a hard time thinking Storm would (or could) crack the Canucks d-line now (or ever).

3 hours ago, JamesB said:

I think it is unlikely the Canucks want to go up to the limit of 50 contracts at this stage. They will want to leave some flexibility. They always create space if necessary, but having some flexible space is helpful. As others have said, it would be great if the Canucks could sign a couple of these guys, with Butcher and Kerfoot being the two obvious choices. There will be competition for both guys and I don't expect Butcher to end up here, But the hometown factor could be important for Kerfoot and I think the chances he ends up in Vancouver are pretty high. Most high skill small scoring forwards in Junior or the NCAA do not do well in the NHL, but some do very well. Kerfoot certainly has a shot and I hope the Canucks sign him.

As for the other guys on the list, I have no idea, but I hope the Canucks are on top of it and pick up another good prospect somewhere. It would be great to pick up Kerfoot and another good prospect after August 15.

2 spaces is probably plenty tho if we actually land 2 of these guys taking it up to 48/50 and we're likely not going to do any deals taking players back at the TDL so getting that tight to 50 is just fine, and there are 7 or 8 expiring contracts next season for guys in the minors too after next season. 

Kerfoot is an interesting case... you'd think NJ would have locked him up by now if he was going to end up there. 

2 hours ago, Quantum said:

Only two that make sense to for the Canucks to sign are Blaine Byron and Alex Kerfoot. Maybe Ben Storm.

Alex because he's a centre and from Vancouver (his dad owns the Whitecaps, as has been pointed out before) and Blaine Byron because he's a feisty centre who, funnily enough, was a teammate of Ben Hutton's at the University of Maine. I thought Byron would sign in Pittsburgh (team drafted him) but it seems like the signing of Zachary Aston-Reese caused Byron to bail on the Pens.

Will Butcher would be nice but with Subban and Stecher already in the system as small forwards, he likely doesn't land here. I expect Edmonton to land Butcher. Or Toronto.

I do like Dominic Toninato too but I suspect he'll end up with either Chicago, Minnesota, Vegas, or Carolina.

Ben Storm's also super intriguing. He's massive. A total Tryamkin replacement. Only problem is -- he has no offensive upside, whatsoever... something that Tryamkin had. Would be smart for the Canucks to pursue Storm aggressively but have a hard time thinking Storm would (or could) crack the Canucks d-line now (or ever).

Byron is listed at 165lbs! so thats interesting.... maybe being an Ottawa guy Gudbranson may have some influence on a decision. Ben Storm would be great too, I don't think Nikita was ever going to provide much offence either. Plus he's got a great comic character name. 

19 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

2 spaces is probably plenty tho if we actually land 2 of these guys taking it up to 48/50 and we're likely not going to do any deals taking players back at the TDL so getting that tight to 50 is just fine, and there are 7 or 8 expiring contracts next season for guys in the minors too after next season. 

Kerfoot is an interesting case... you'd think NJ would have locked him up by now if he was going to end up there. 

There is also going to be a lot of movement on the waiver wire before the start of the season, so you want to have a slot or two available for whatever may happen.

I remember reading about Nolan De Jong in The Province a few years back since he is from Victoria, he has good size, captained his team this year and was around half a point a game, he stepped it up a lot this year on a young team after several veterans moved on giving him a greater role to play and more ice time. 

Admittedly, 7th round picks likely won't get a very long look, I'm not advocating to sign him since contracts are valuable and there are an awful lot of very good hockey players all over the world looking for jobs but here is a great read on him.

https://www.michigandaily.com/section/ice-hockey/nolan-de-jong-finds-comfort-new-role

7 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Rather pass on them and sign Aaron Irving the defensive prospect that Nashville let go and came to prospects camp.

I agree I really like Irving, seen him play 5 times, solid Dman stay at home make smart decisions on ice, looks stocky, Hope we sign him for farm team and develop this young man...

Archived