The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Brendan Gaunce

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has signed forward Brendan Gaunce to a two-year, one-way contract worth an annual average value of $750,000.

Brendan Gaunce, 23, collected five assists (0-5-5) and 33 penalty minutes in 57 games played with Vancouver in 2016.17. His 94 hits on the season led all Canucks forwards while his 1.65 hits per game ranked him second on the team. The 6-2, 217-pound forward also had two goals and an assist in four appearances with Utica.

In his debut NHL season in 2015.16, Gaunce notched a goal (1-0-0) in 20 appearances with the Canucks. He also had career-highs in goals (17), assists (21) and points (38) in 46 games with the Comets.

A native of Sudbury, Ontario, Gaunce was originally selected by Vancouver in the first round, 26th overall, at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-sign-brendan-gaunce/c-290628824

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Signing] Canucks re-sign Brendan Gaunce
Just now, Qwags said:

If Gaunce can become a Malhotra-esque player, he would be invaluable for us.

Similar size, and both first rounders that needed to change their junior games from offensive to defence first to get a spot.  I bet Manny is helping Gaunce make the change too.

29 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Fantastic news! One of our young, promising players who has room to improve and grow into one of our key core players that we can build around. Great to have him locked up. Now our only diamond and prized jewel remains left

I like you're optimism,but I just don't see Gaunce here by the time those 'core players' come around...

33 minutes ago, Qwags said:

If Gaunce can become a Malhotra-esque player, he would be invaluable for us.

If Gaunce could become as good as Malhotra that would of course be a  huge win. But Gaunce is a long way behind Manny. In his draft+5 year (the year he turned 23) Manny had 12 goals and 13 assists for 25 pts in 65 games for Columbus and Dallas. That compares with no goals and 5 pts in 57 games for Gaunce  in his draft+5 year (the year he turned 23). Also, although Gaunce is good defensively, Malhotra was better, and he had better speed. Both guys have good size but are not particularly physical players, although they use their bodies well to protect the puck and maintain good defensive position.

I am bit surprised by the size of the contract. I thought that Gaunce's agent was just holding out for a one-way deal (which he got) and would have been happy to get something close to the NHL minimum ($650 K next year). Gaunce is getting an extra 100K. That would make him very expensive as an AHL player. He is getting significantly more than Rodin, Boucher, Chaput and Megna. And it is guaranteed for two years.

What this tells me is that the Canucks expect Gaunce to be on the 23-man roster to start the season. No guarantees of course. He still has to make the team. But I think he is currently pencilled in.

I wonder if the Canucks have doubts about the health of Rodin and Dorsett, who I expect to be on the team if they are healthy. Both guys have of course said that they are doing well, feeling great, and expect to be ready. But do players ever say anything else at this stage when coming back from injury?

Archived