The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Puck 2017/18

Managed to squeak into the playoffs but not expecting much this year :P. I can barely field my first line lol with Carlo injured but hey, lets hope Matthews and MacKinnon score 5 points a game ;)

Compher - Matthews - MacKinnon

Meier

Carlo - Werenski

Murray

1 hour ago, Tylez said:

Me... Although that didnt work out so well!

Now Holtby not starting in the playoffs.... great....

You should have upped the offer for Grubauer! Would have been the ideal insurance policy.

As for us, it's nice having 2 starters for the playoffs...but of course they have to be playing against each other...:unsure:

image.png.7ae73427ca0a27d8559e0a7926533515.png

Well then! I solidly tuned out for a bit there since the draft, given some personal hectic life (and my non competing team on cruise control). Next thing I know the darn kids have gone and spoiled my tank! Interestingly we climbed a few slots at season's end, at exactly the same rate as the real life Canucks. I trust you will all be cheering for me in the lottery this year!

I genuinely can't be all that annoyed though. It is really encouraging to see such a strong final stretch from our players after a grinding rebuilding season.  A few end of season media availability acknowledgements, in no particular order:

Mikko Rantanen: I knew he was good when we acquired him, but I never could have predicted an 84 point season. It is one thing to be only 4th Finnish player to ever hit 80 points, it is another to do it at 21 years old. What a gem. 

Brendan Gallagher: Now this one I DID see coming when we targeted him. Favorite player in the game and one that I follow quite closely. As soon as the hand was healed, the shot strength came back. With it came his best ever season. Extremely satisfied to see him hit 30 goals, career high points, career high shots, and cement his leadership in a hard Habs season with little support.  

Jonathan Marchessault: Our heaviest caliber Anti-Tank Gun all season long, Jon closed out the season cranking out 6 or 7 ppg like clockwork for the past month. We had the chance to move him at the deadline, but there just isn't many players I would swap that production to cap-hit for. Rewarded me by shuffling our pick down a slot or two. Thanks Jon. 

Ryan Nugent Hopkins: 7 fppg over the past two weeks. 6.5 over the past month. We paid a lot for him, but he responded by exploding since the trade. Clocking in his highest real world points per game ratio of his career, in a down year for the Oilers. It is all upwards from here.

Nikita Zadorov: Closed out with 5 fppg over the last month. The kid is putting up 12 hit games, what else is there to say. Already challenging Ristolainen for our top D producer. If you watch him play, you know there is a ton of offense to be uncovered as we build on that high floor. 

Anthony Beauvillier: 5.16 fppg over the last month. 8.08 fppg in the last two weeks. His meteoric rise has come at a hard time for our draft position, but a fantastic time to cement his position going into the off-season. His season started slow, but did nothing but ramp up over time. 

Jaccob Slavin: They can't all be home runs I guess! Of all our acquisitions, Jake has struggled the most this season. Like most of the Hurricanes, this season saw him take a step back as he struggled to convert his excellent underlying numbers into points. That being said, I have every faith that he will be back on track next year. With 4.21 fppg over the last 2 months, and 4.46 fppg over the last month, he finished the season strong

Anthony Cirelli: Bursting onto the season with 4 fppg over 18 games with the terrifying lightning. My grandmother could rack up points on that team, but Cirreli has earned the full trust of the coach with his 200 foot play and bottomless motor. The more random casual offers we got on him, the more sure I was that Anthony was staying. 

The Buffaslug: Louis Domingue looked dashing in this season's most fashionable brown slug costume. He apparently also played a certain amount of hockey, and was sorta OK with a really good team in front of him. He remains the cornerstone of our franchise, and a lasting monument to my craptastic goalie evaluation. It is worth noting that we have gone out of our way to acquire 4 goalies prospects this season in an attempt to rectify this situation. Tune in next time for updates on their inevitable failed careers. 

Thanks to everyone for all the fantastic conversations and trade talks this year. I may not be joining you all in the playoffs, but I should be back and properly involved over the next couple weeks. I can guarantee that my involvement will steadily increase over the course of the summer as I go through increasing hockey withdrawal. I predict folding myself in a sturdy cocoon of draft lists and spreadsheets around draft time, before emerging as a beautiful GM butterfly in time for preseason. 

Cheers, you beautiful bastards.

Syg

BREAKING NEWS: GM Apollo has been fired less than 24 hours to puck drop in the 2018 CDCP Playoffs...

President Mike :goat: Gillis* was quoted saying

"This move had to be made after Apollo was publicly seen pouting about the teams playoff chances..."

"We'll continue to move forward and are glad to be losing an executive before the playoffs, rather than a player"

"His attitude was garbage and absolutely unacceptable."

"Head Coach Markus :goat: Naslund** will act as interim GM. He's very familiar with this role. Markus is probably one of the best looking people I've ever seen... I mean most awesome at multi-functioning"

"We clearly don't see eye to eye with what Apollo had in mind and are going to lean heavily on Kevin Bieksa to lead all CDCP Defensman in FPts in the first round (take it to the bank)"

Don Taylor had GM Apollo on his iconic radio show earlier...

"pouting... I was POUTING?! We talking about POUTING?! ... Our team is doomed... we had half the freakin players... I'm the freakin architect... and he gets rid of me now?!... DON are you kidding me?! You asking me these questions right now?! BLAAARGGH hang up" 

* **http://forum.canucks.com/topic/377027-cdc-puck-201617/?do=findComment&comment=14022851 (I forgot he was my team President lol)

(also i'm not quitting the league or anything - please don't start looking for someone to take over this team!

1 hour ago, apollo said:

BREAKING NEWS: GM Apollo has been fired less than 24 hours to puck drop in the 2018 CDCP Playoffs...

President Mike :goat: Gillis* was quoted saying

"This move had to be made after Apollo was publicly seen pouting about the teams playoff chances..."

"We'll continue to move forward and are glad to be losing an executive before the playoffs, rather than a player"

"His attitude was garbage and absolutely unacceptable."

"Head Coach Markus :goat: Naslund** will act as interim GM. He's very familiar with this role. Markus is probably one of the best looking people I've ever seen... I mean most awesome at multi-functioning"

"We clearly don't see eye to eye with what Apollo had in mind and are going to lean heavily on Kevin Bieksa to lead all CDCP Defensman in FPts in the first round (take it to the bank)"

Don Taylor had GM Apollo on his iconic radio show earlier...

"pouting... I was POUTING?! We talking about POUTING?! ... Our team is doomed... we had half the freakin players... I'm the freakin architect... and he gets rid of me now?!... DON are you kidding me?! You asking me these questions right now?! BLAAARGGH hang up" 

* **http://forum.canucks.com/topic/377027-cdc-puck-201617/?do=findComment&comment=14022851 (I forgot he was my team President lol)

(also i'm not quitting the league or anything - please don't start looking for someone to take over this team!

Please pull yourself together so your team can have some semblance of hope of winning.

The Puck Jets are really, really pulling for you!  I mean REALLY!

(and it has strictly nothing to do with hoping you can dispatch that sweet-talking somethingvery's juggernaut :ph34r:

On 2018-03-29 at 10:27 PM, Art Vandelay said:

Also Geekie single-handedly sweepng Kelowna in the WHL playoffs, 9 goals (13 points) in 4 games! Helps justify taking him #34th OA last draft. Was worried; he didn’t really improve his overall point totals this year.

And again, Geekie continuing his incandescence.

His team sweeps the Royals, and picks up 6G and 5A. Has scored in all 8 games in the playoffs so far. 

On 3/29/2018 at 10:27 PM, Art Vandelay said:

Also Geekie single-handedly sweepng Kelowna in the WHL playoffs, 9 goals (13 points) in 4 games! Helps justify taking him #34th OA last draft. Was worried; he didn’t really improve his overall point totals this year.

Sorry to be that burst your bubble type guy Art, but I doubt you've been paying much attention to Tri-Cities if you believe that.

For example - Rasmussen also has 24 pts in 8 playoff games.  Would be interesting to drop that in one of last year's pre-draft threads littered with 'don't draft Rasmussen' posts.

Another half dozen Tri-Cities playes scoring better than a ppg in the playoffs,

Kelowna and Victoria are a pair of pretty good teams - you don't sweep opponents like that back to back 'singlehandedly.'

That team as a whole is just all over the puck over 200ft.  Will be interesting to see how far they can go in the Memorial Cup - particularly with it out west this year (in Regina).

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Sorry to be that burst your bubble type guy Art, but I doubt you've been paying much attention to Tri-Cities if you believe that.

For example - Rasmussen also has 24 pts in 8 playoff games.  Would be interesting to drop that in one of last year's pre-draft threads littered with 'don't draft Rasmussen' posts.

Another half dozen Tri-Cities playes scoring better than a ppg in the playoffs,

Kelowna and Victoria are a pair of pretty good teams - you don't sweep opponents like that back to back 'singlehandedly.'

That team as a whole is just all over the puck over 200ft.  Will be interesting to see how far they can go in the Memorial Cup - particularly with it out west this year (in Regina).

Well, I was being hyperbolic. But 9 goals in 4 games is at the point where it’s not really hyperbole. No?

Funny enough, Geekie also has 24 points in 8 games. Wonder if they are playing together...

Archived