The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Puck 2017/18

59e60a03f2ce5_CONTRACTSIGNING.jpg.9327484b61637586e977001ef85e52ff.jpg

On behalf of General Manager @Bombastik der Teutone, the Montreal Canadiens are thrilled to announce the signings of sought-after free agents:

BRIAN GIBBONS - 2 years, $1.75m AAV

AARON NESS - 2 years, $1.5m AAV

Both players wish to thank all GMs who made offers; those offers made Aaron Ness the new title holder of most in-demand UFA in CDCP history.

2 hours ago, Captain Azzy said:

On behalf of General Manager @Bombastik der Teutone, the Montreal Canadiens are thrilled to announce the signings of sought-after free agents:

Both players wish to thank all GMs who made offers; those offers made Aaron Ness the new title holder of most in-demand UFA in CDCP history.

Interesting! Can someone explain the system for when a player chooses to take less to go to a certain GM? It occurs to me that we offered Gibbons  more AAV, for the same term. Given almost identical position in the standings to Bomba, and similar empty roster spots available on our team, he certainly didn't shun us for a cup opportunity or ice time. 

Are there situations where the player goes arbitrarily to a lower bidder? IRL it is possible that Gibbons doesn't like the weather in Buffalo; but is it randomized, or did we get voted against?

Edit: @Sestito'sHandMadeVodka has pointed out that our offer of 2M for 2 years could have been interpreted as 1M per year. If that is the case, ignore the above. I will be sure to communicate more clearly. I am occasionally dumb.  

16 minutes ago, Sygvard said:

Interesting! Can someone explain the system that decides when a player chooses to take less to go to a certain GM? It occurs to me that we offered Gibbons  more AAV, for the same term. Given almost identical position in the standings to Bomba, and similar empty roster spots available on our team, he certainly didn't shun us for a cup opportunity or ice time. 

Are there situations where the player goes arbitrarily to a lower bidder? IRL it is possible that Gibbons doesn't like the weather in Buffalo; but is it randomized, or did we get voted against?

You wanted to pay Gibbons more than $1.75M with term? Maybe be glad he didn't sign with you. 

3 minutes ago, Baer. said:

You wanted to pay Gibbons more than $1.75M with term? Maybe be glad he didn't sign with you. 

We have been in seller/rebuild mode lately. We have buckets of extra cap (11M), and ugly empty slots left by players we moved out. Paying 2M AAV for slightly overpaid depth to fill spaces and keep the team respectable wouldn't have hurt. 

3 minutes ago, Sygvard said:

We have been in seller/rebuild mode lately. We have buckets of extra cap (11M), and ugly empty slots left by players we moved out. Paying 2M AAV for slightly overpaid depth to fill spaces and keep the team respectable wouldn't have hurt. 

Maybe he preferred to go to a team needing a player, rather than one seeking additional currency?

:P

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Maybe he preferred to go to a team needing a player, rather than one seeking additional currency?

:P

Like....we also need players.. He'll get real playing time.  Lots of UFAs sign with basement teams during the summer, expecting to be moved at the deadline for a contender. It's pretty standard. Hell, winnik signed with Toronto, got traded to a contender, signed with Toronto AGAIN, and then got traded again.

8 minutes ago, Sygvard said:

You're not wrong, but I would wait until next off season and use that $2M to sign a bigger name. If it was a one year deal, then you could give him $5M for all I care. Just my opinion.

6 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I doubt a 2M Gibbons would be any kind of currency! Just trying to fill those roster spots and be respectable. 

I edited my original post though. I realized that it was probably a miscommunication. My offer of 2M for 2 years was likely interpreted as a (not overpaid) 1M per year. 

This is why RL GMs have people to check the paperwork. :/

2 hours ago, Captain Azzy said:

President Trump

President Earlier This Morning 10/17/2017 9:39AM 

President Doonold Troomp made a statement after hearing the news about Gibbons signing with a Canadian team over Nashville.

"We feel like Brian has made a huge mistake. He's betrayed his state of Massachusetts and more importantly his country of AMERICA. 

Choosing to go to Montreal over Nashville is considered an act of treason. Brian's American citizenship will be terminated immediately.

FYI Brian... it's cold af over there... but I guess there might be more puck bunnies. "

@Sygvard @Sestito'sHandMadeVodka

It was indeed interpreted as the total $ offered, then divided by term, rather than the $ offered being the AAV. It was all in the wording and the players needed to make a decision after holding offers for nearly a week. Sorry that you feel you've missed out but with the offers that were on the table, they decided based on what was said.

48 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

@Sygvard @Sestito'sHandMadeVodka

It was indeed interpreted as the total $ offered, then divided by term, rather than the $ offered being the AAV. It was all in the wording and the players needed to make a decision after holding offers for nearly a week. Sorry that you feel you've missed out but with the offers that were on the table, they decided based on what was said.

No worries whatsoever! That one was entirely on my end, with unclear wording. It has been a busy week, and things slip through the cracks. I would much rather a confirmation of my own sloppy work, rather than thinking that I suddenly didn't understand the free agent system. 

3 hours ago, Captain Azzy said:

that's great news imo.

good to have that many active GMs lookiing to make additions to their clubs - and could explain a somewhat slow trade market as GMs look to make additions that don't cost their teams assets.

The Habs will make an Statement regarding the latest signings tomorrow. GM Bomba had a stressfull Day at work and is just happy being at home and drinkin´ a cold Beer.

Cheers from "The Bunker"  .....

Further the Habs will have to make some moves to bring Back their Rookies into the NHL Roster.

Jordan Schroeder and Beau Bennett are available for Prospects or late Picks. 

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

that's great news imo.

good to have that many active GMs lookiing to make additions to their clubs - and could explain a somewhat slow trade market as GMs look to make additions that don't cost their teams assets.

You could also say that when somebody like Aaron Ness is the most offered free agent in history, that GMs aren't very active in sending offers.

1 hour ago, Baer. said:

You could also say that when somebody like Aaron Ness is the most offered free agent in history, that GMs aren't very active in sending offers.

I'd chalk it up more to timing. Everyone thinks all of their prospects are going to make the jump every year, and when they don't, people are scrambling for assets. Additionally, if somebody wants to keep an asset, re-signing them isn't hard. And everybody prizes youth. So a young, promising free agent defenseman, on a playoff team, unsigned a week into the season? It makes sense 

Whoa, glad I was watching the injury reports and put Cole back in the lineup. He's in total beast-mode: 7.75 Fpts in just the 1st period.

With Cole and Oduya hurt early, we were in on the Ness sweepstakes, and even raised our offer after the Niskanen injury. But with the first 2 already back, and Niskanen scheduled to be back in a couple of weeks, we'll be OK.

I just realized that Tom Pyatt has more blocks than any TWO of Ristolainen, Severson, and Slavin combined. As a forward. I don't watch enough Sens hockey to know how that is happening. But I am just going to envision him flopping around on the ice like a mad, shot-blocking fish-person. 

You get an A for effort my fishy friend.

Edit: Also congrats to Taco-Tuesdays-Terravainen for finally scoring a couple goals so he isn't a net negative fantasy player, and to the Devils for a win against the Lightning tonight: slowly turning a the most questionable subset of our team into playoff bound players. 

Archived