The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal - Carolina and Edmonton

Just crossed my mind that the Draisaitl mess could be a great opportunity for Carolina.

To Carolina: Draisaitl

To Edmonton: Faulk

In my opinion this would be a fair deal and would set Edmonton up to run show for the next decade, while giving Carolina that piece they need to bring them over the hill.

Edmonton would finally get a defenseman that puts up double digit goals every year. This would mean Nuge gets to centre the second line for Edmonton, which would honestly be a great place for him IMO.

Draisaitl would flourish on Carolina in a top line role. The PP unit of Teravainen, Draisaitl and Skinner? Yes please.

If I'm Edm, I'd want more than Faulk. But I could see the Canes being a possible destination.

pros:

- They've never had a C like Drai, & their cast seems on the upswing

- They have lots of D to dangle

- For Edm, it's out of conference

- Tonnes of cap space

cons:

- Aren't the Canes on the block?

As Edm GM, I'd be looking for youth..something like this pkg:

Drai & meh prospect to Canes

For, Pesce, Lindholm & 2018 1st

9 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

If I'm Edm, I'd want more than Faulk. But I could see the Canes being a possible destination.

pros:

- Tonnes of cap space

cons:

C'mon I know you are old enough to remember Ron Francis' playing days. :P

6 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Was a great player(inflated numbers from that era, however), but Drai's a skilled physical beast. Better comparables possibly Messier & Forsberg(much as I hate the former).

They could be better comparisons but I still think it is fair to say that Carolina has had a C like Leon. Both were very high draft picks, both are/were very good puck handlers with a pass first mentality, both are/were large physical centres. Francis was 6'3" and 200 lbs and was very strong on the puck and didn't take crap from anyone. He had over 100 PIM's 3 times in his career. Draisaitl's style may be reminiscent of these guys but he has a long ways to go before he can be compared to the 3rd and 5th leading scorers of all time.

44 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

pros:

- Tonnes of cap space

cons:

Don't you mean, if you were EDM you'd be okay with less than Faulk?

4 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

They could be better comparisons but I still think it is fair to say that Carolina has had a C like Leon. Both were very high draft picks, both are/were very good puck handlers with a pass first mentality, both are/were large physical centres. Francis was 6'3" and 200 lbs and was very strong on the puck and didn't take crap from anyone. He had over 100 PIM's 3 times in his career. Draisaitl's style may be reminiscent of these guys but he has a long ways to go before he can be compared to the 3rd and 5th leading scorers of all time.

Yeah, admittedly my recollections were of Francis being more of a Lady Byng winning, Pierre Turgeon sort.

Meshed well with Dineen, as the Whale started climbing a bit, didn't he? Also recall him & Jags having a rather dominant Pens line(early 90's). When you add Trottier, Stevens & Mario..seems unfair.

In this cap world, not sure we'll see many vet-collections like the early 90's Pens had. Decade later, Wings did the same(Scotty Bowman approach?)

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Don't you mean, if you were EDM you'd be okay with less than Faulk?

Was mostly going on hearsay, & suggesting they should get more than the one asset. Haven't seen enough of the Canes to comment accurately on how these guys have developed.

Faulk signed a cheaper deal. In 3 yrs he'll prob look for significantly more.

8 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Yeah, admittedly my recollections were of Francis being more of a Lady Byng winning, Pierre Turgeon sort.

Meshed well with Dineen, as the Whale started climbing a bit, didn't he? Also recall him & Jags having a rather dominant Pens line(early 90's). When you add Trottier, Stevens & Mario..seems unfair.

In this cap world, not sure we'll see many vet-collections like the early 90's Pens had. Decade later, Wings did the same(Scotty Bowman approach?)

Yes, I believe you are correct about Dineen. Also correct about the Pens' stars and how unfair that was. I believe in the 95-96 season that Francis played between Jagr and Lemieux for most of the season and both Francis and Lemieux had 92 assists that season. I think that was the only time that Lemieux played RW for the majority of the season.

17 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Was mostly going on hearsay, & suggesting they should get more than the one asset. Haven't seen enough of the Canes to comment accurately on how these guys have developed.

Faulk signed a cheaper deal. In 3 yrs he'll prob look for significantly more.

Honestly man Faulk is a beast. Any team would be lucky to have him.

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

pros:

- Tonnes of cap space

cons:

Eric staal in his prime was a beast 

Archived