2. Elias Pettersson (84 votes - 44.44%)

3. Olli Juolevi (95 votes - 54.29%)

4. Thatcher Demko (165 votes - 77.83%)

5. Jonathan Dahlen (77 votes - 41.62%)

6. Adam Gaudette (70 votes - 37.84%)

7. Nikolay Goldobin (90 votes - 55.21%)

8. Jake Virtanen (123 votes - 72.78%)

9. Kole Lind (68 votes - 40.48%)

10. Guillaume Brisebois (57 votes - 36.54%)

11. Jonah Gadjovich (tiebreaker: 29 votes - 59.18%)

12. William Lockwood (91 votes - 66.42%)

13. Jordan Subban (47 votes - 37.9%)

14. Michael DiPietro (76 votes - 51.7%)

15. Evan McEneny (53 votes - 39.55%)

16. Petrus Palmu (25 votes - 19.38%)

17. Griffen Molino (25 votes - 22.12%)

18. Jalen Chatfield (22 votes - 19.82%)

19. Zack MacEwen (23 votes - 22.12%)

20. Jack Rathbone (20 votes - 18.02%)

Notables Unranked:

Rodrigo Abols
Matthew Brassard
Cole Candella
Michael Carcone
Cole Cassels
Anton Cederholm

Alexis D'Aoust
Kristoffer Gunnarsson
Philip Holm
Lukas Jasek
Joseph LaBate
Yan-Pavel Laplante
Brett McKenzie
Andrey Pedan
Ashton Sautner
Mackenzie Stewart
Jakub Stukel
Dmitri Zhukenov

With the top 20 ranked, any thoughts? Anyone who should have been higher or lower? Anyone who didn't crack the list who should have?

I'd say it's a good place to stop at 20. I felt that there was a bit too much recency bias with our recent late round picks, but it's a solid list aside from that. I might do some minor re-ordering at the top, but I'd say the top nine players are who they should be.

21 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

Final Ranking:

1. Brock Boeser (104 votes - 53.97%)

2. Elias Pettersson (84 votes - 44.44%)

3. Olli Juolevi (95 votes - 54.29%)

4. Thatcher Demko (165 votes - 77.83%)

5. Jonathan Dahlen (77 votes - 41.62%)

6. Adam Gaudette (70 votes - 37.84%)

7. Nikolay Goldobin (90 votes - 55.21%)

8. Jake Virtanen (123 votes - 72.78%)

9. Kole Lind (68 votes - 40.48%)

10. Guillaume Brisebois (57 votes - 36.54%)

11. Jonah Gadjovich (tiebreaker: 29 votes - 59.18%)

12. William Lockwood (91 votes - 66.42%)

13. Jordan Subban (47 votes - 37.9%)

14. Michael DiPietro (76 votes - 51.7%)

15. Evan McEneny (53 votes - 39.55%)

16. Petrus Palmu (25 votes - 19.38%)

17. Griffen Molino (25 votes - 22.12%)

18. Jalen Chatfield (22 votes - 19.82%)

19. Zack MacEwen (23 votes - 22.12%)

20. Jack Rathbone (20 votes - 18.02%)

Notables Unranked:

Rodrigo Abols
Matthew Brassard
Cole Candella
Michael Carcone
Cole Cassels
Anton Cederholm

Alexis D'Aoust
Kristoffer Gunnarsson
Philip Holm
Lukas Jasek
Joseph LaBate
Yan-Pavel Laplante
Brett McKenzie
Andrey Pedan
Jack Rathbone
Ashton Sautner
Mackenzie Stewart
Jakub Stukel
Dmitri Zhukenov

With the top 20 ranked, any thoughts? Anyone who should have been higher or lower? Anyone who didn't crack the list who should have?

It's an interesting list that's for sure, thanks for the time and effort.  Just before the deadline and before Burrows and Hansen were dealt the Hockey News  had their prospect/ future watch mag and they ranked OJ, Boesser, Demko, Virtanen as the top four, all in the top hundred overall and Goldobin number three in SJ ( one of the worst pools in the league, not in top hundred) and Dahlen was number five ( also not in top hundred) in a very deep Ottawa team.  Not that I agree with them, especially with Virtanen ranking.  All the new draft picks weren't counted as prospects yet, but now that they are drafted will....also bumped up six spots....to seventh best pool in the league after the deadline trades and the recent draft.   

I think the new picks might be getting a boost and ranked higher than they likely are but overall think it's a better assesment than a lot that is printed or spouted on air.   Good job CDC!

As far as someone I'd like to see in the top 20 that didn't make the cut it would have to be Joe Labate. His willingness to grind and do whatever he needed to do to stick in the lineup was impressive and it's not as if his production (little under 0.5 PPG) disqualifies him from being able to contribute on the ice with more than physicality. 

2 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

Notables Unranked:

Rodrigo Abols
Matthew Brassard
Cole Candella
Michael Carcone
Cole Cassels
Anton Cederholm

Alexis D'Aoust
Kristoffer Gunnarsson
Philip Holm
Lukas Jasek
Joseph LaBate
Yan-Pavel Laplante
Brett McKenzie
Andrey Pedan
Ashton Sautner
Mackenzie Stewart
Jakub Stukel
Dmitri Zhukenov

Really??!

He should be top 20 at least, maybe somewhere between 17-20, but on the list still. I think he's got a lot more in store for us. 

12 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

Really??!

He should be top 20 at least, maybe somewhere between 17-20, but on the list still. I think he's got a lot more in store for us. 

I voted for him the last 4 or 5 rounds but it just wasn't enough. He should have came in around 16 or 17 IMO. With the exception of Molino, I just don't see how people can argue that any of those guys are better prospects than Labate. Hell, Zhukenov wasn't even ranked but he's still a better prospect than those guys. 

I am most curious about Holm. Likely didn't get many votes because not many has seen him yet to see what type of player he is. I think he may be a surprise at camp or at least I hope so.

As for the list, I think Labate and Zhukenov should be in the top 20. Jasek might be in my 21st spot. I think this ranking is about potential and Pedan isn't looking to be anything more than a press box dman at the NHL level and Cassels hasn't shown much progression, so I can understand them being unranked. I think Rathbone will have much to prove before entering the top 20.

My most controversial opinion may be that I think Palmu falls out of my top 20 for now. He has skill, but one has to factor that he was a late draft pick in his draft+2 year. He could be the type of player that never gets drafted and signs a free agency contract based on the decent stars as an overager, eg Dane Fox. This combined with his size and his possible character issues that have recently come to light have me concerned about his potential.

2 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'd say it's a good place to stop at 20. I felt that there was a bit too much recency bias with our recent late round picks, but it's a solid list aside from that. I might do some minor re-ordering at the top, but I'd say the top nine players are who they should be.

1 hour ago, HC20.0 said:

I would've switched Boeser and Pettersson, but otherwise the top 10 is pretty solid. I feel like the bottom 10 are pretty interchangable. Good list CDC. 

My main takeaways are as follows:

1. The list is pretty close to my own ranking. Not exact, but close.

2. I would divide the list into several categories. The top two prospects (Boeser and Pettersson) are Category I. Like @HC20.0, I have them in the opposite order but I have them both as likely first liners and almost certain to be at least good NHL players. The next 4 (Juolevi, Demko, Dahlen, and Gaudette) I have in category II as likely good "core" players (top 6 fowards, top 4 D, starting goalie) and almost certain to be at least legitimate NHL players. The next group, Category III for me, goes from 7 to 11, - guys who I think are likely to become at least useful NHL regulars and maybe more. From 12 down I think we are into longshot territory but I expect at least two or three of them to become good NHL players. 

3. Like @-AJ-, I think there is recency bias toward the bottom of the list. While I like these guys (Rathbone, MacEwen, Chatfield, Molino, Palmu) I think they are on the list largely because of optimism for the new guys even though they are probably no better as a group than, say, Pedan, Labate, Zhukenov, and a couple of other guys we could throw in.

4. The list improved a lot this year and is certainly better than it has been since 2004 when Schneider, Edler and Hansen were drafted and added to the pool that already contained Kesler and Bieksa.and maybe better than it has been since 1999 when the Sedins were drafted 18 years ago.

I love the list...I love that we have the 7th best prospect pool

But it just brings me back to the fact we should be moving more veterans for picks

As we need to be up higher in that rankings to be a future contender

I would really like to see us move a couple more vets for picks

And I would really like to hear Benning talk more about keeping in touch with Tryamkin

I think it's a pretty good list. The prospect pool is definitely much improved even from just last year, but as others have said there is a bit of a recency bias around the bottom of the list.

I think Jasek and Zhukenov should have been on the list.

I can't believe that LaBate didn't make the list let alone Pedan, Cassels, Jasek as well. This just shows the incredible depth Benning has built and how far he has made our pool. I'm thrilled for the future and especially a few in Stecher, Boeser, Goldobin, Molino and few of the seasoned kids in Baer, Bo, Granny already making NHL impacts. Not to mention having a experience young vet like Guddy around to protect them and prevent opponents from bullying him. We're going to be scary good

Archived