The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Consensus Prospect Rankings - Final List

Brad Marchand

38 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Thought a lot more people watched the memorial cup when Chatfield looked like one of the better players on the ice every game. He was an absolute rock for the spitfire.

Ya it was a great tournament for him, it kind of opened my eyes to him. I was watching it mainly for Vilardi who I was super excited on but the more I see Pettersson the happier I am haha. 

At this point I'd bump jake into the top three with Boesser and Pettersson.  I'd also give a little more attention to some older prospects now that some of the 'shine' of the new guys has warn off.... Cassels and Pedan should probably be somewhere in the 16-20 range, maybe replacing Palmu and Rathbone imho. 

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:45 AM, Beary Sweet said:

I can't believe that LaBate didn't make the list let alone Pedan, Cassels, Jasek as well. This just shows the incredible depth Benning has built and how far he has made our pool. I'm thrilled for the future and especially a few in Stecher, Boeser, Goldobin, Molino and few of the seasoned kids in Baer, Bo, Granny already making NHL impacts. Not to mention having a experience young vet like Guddy around to protect them and prevent opponents from bullying him. We're going to be scary good

I have to say I'm happiest about Rodin showing us why he made the Swedish elite leagues mvp, anyway I'm glad he's healthy, and one poster said that he only showed up last game good for a shift but if he scores on that one shift and he plays reasonably well and isn't responsible for goals allowed then he can have a roster spot if that happens most night nights and matches keslers 20 goal seasons or better and that 17 would look especially good one him   :D 

Oh and this is the CDC remember, nothing should surprise you here.  logic does not live here full time.... 

45 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

At this point I'd bump jake into the top three with Boesser and Pettersson.  I'd also give a little more attention to some older prospects now that some of the 'shine' of the new guys has warn off.... Cassels and Pedan should probably be somewhere in the 16-20 range, maybe replacing Palmu and Rathbone imho. 

I, one agree with that. Especially Pedan and I hope he can make a roster spot because we need big guys like that too be able to step in when we make the playoffs again and we actually have some size on each of the pairings so we don't need to have to worry about being beat on (for the umpteenth zillionth time in franchise history)  and actually have a lot of skill that doesn't have to be tough.  How cool would that be?  :D  (actually I didn't think I'd EVER see that)  thanks Benning... 

12 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

ikr?

Kevin Bieksa? Who the hell is that?

When I say 'hardly any of our 10-20th-ranked prospects ever end up having a decent NHL career' - showing me one guy who did it doesn't disprove my argument like you think it does!  To disprove my argument, you'd have to show me like 3 or 4 players from every single season, not one from like 15 years ago.

3 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

When I say 'hardly any of our 10-20th-ranked prospects ever end up having a decent NHL career' - showing me one guy who did it doesn't disprove my argument like you think it does!  To disprove my argument, you'd have to show me like 3 or 4 players from every single season, not one from like 15 years ago.

I showed you one from the year that you provided in your link. If you're going to provide a link to try and prove your point, make sure that the link doesn't contradict the point you're trying to make.

But yes, I'll give you that over the last decade + most of our prospects outside of the top ten didn't amount to much of anything. 

However, I would also argue that we have easily the deepest prospect pool we've had in a very, very long time right now. Just for some context, there was a time when Jensen and Corrado were our top prospects. If we were to stack those two guys up (as they stood back when they were prospects and not busts) and insert them into our current pool, neither of them would crack the top 5. Hell, they'be be in tough to make the top 10. 

Context is important.

10 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I showed you one from the year that you provided in your link. If you're going to provide a link to try and prove your point, make sure that the link doesn't contradict the point you're trying to make.

But yes, I'll give you that over the last decade + most of our prospects outside of the top ten didn't amount to much of anything. 

However, I would also argue that we have easily the deepest prospect pool we've had in a very, very long time right now. Just for some context, there was a time when Jensen and Corrado were our top prospects. If we were to stack those two guys up (as they stood back when they were prospects and not busts) and insert them into our current pool, neither of them would crack the top 5. Hell, they'be be in tough to make the top 10. 

Context is important.

Definitely.  It's nice not to be singing praises to guys that really never had a chance of making an impact it getting more than a handful of games.  As far as the overall list goes, after camp and the preseason some changes would be made to the CDC top ten.

JV has shown he's close enough to make it on the list for first to call up, maybe even in the starting lineup.  Boesser is NHL ready and should move off the list, Rodin maybe also given his shot. ... Chatfield could be this year's Stetcher...

41 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

However, I would also argue that we have easily the deepest prospect pool we've had in a very, very long time right now.

Context is important.

That's what's supposed to happen when you go from being one of the best teams in the league for a decade - to one of the worst for several years!  We went from drafting in the bottom of every round - to the top.  The difference that makes is way bigger than anyone here realizes.  Picking 25th means you are only getting a fringe-NHL'er.  Picking 5th means you are getting a top-6 forward (and, that comes directly from a statistical analysis of every draft for the last 27 years).

Our prospect pool should actually be a lot stronger than it is right now.  We should have Ehlers and Tkachuk and Glass.  Well, maybe that would actually make our prospect pool worse, as two of those guys are no longer prospects, but NHL stars.  After three top-6 drafts now, our prospects are only ranked in the middle of the pack compared to other teams.  We should be a lot better than that after being so bad for so long.  Vegas was able to put together a better prospect pool than ours - out of everyone else's scraps (and a worse pick in the draft).

6 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

That's what's supposed to happen when you go from being one of the best teams in the league for a decade - to one of the worst for several years!  We went from drafting in the bottom of every round - to the top.  The difference that makes is way bigger than anyone here realizes.  Picking 25th means you are only getting a fringe-NHL'er.  Picking 5th means you are getting a top-6 forward (and, that comes directly from a statistical analysis of every draft for the last 27 years).

Our prospect pool should actually be a lot stronger than it is right now.  We should have Ehlers and Tkachuk and Glass.  Well, maybe that would actually make our prospect pool worse, as two of those guys are no longer prospects, but NHL stars.  After three top-6 drafts now, our prospects are only ranked in the middle of the pack compared to other teams.  We should be a lot better than that after being so bad for so long.  Vegas was able to put together a better prospect pool than ours - out of everyone else's scraps (and a worse pick in the draft).

I think JB believes (philosophically) that he can "out draft" the other 30 teams, from no matter where he picks in the draft.  

Oh, I agree.  As far as I can tell, he appears to believe that he's God's gift to drafting - which would explain why he's always picking off-the-board.  He wants to show everyone how much smarter he is than everyone else (and you can't do that by choosing the consensus guy).  Unfortunately, his top picks haven't been working out as well as his later picks. 

And, if you're going to pick off-the-board, why not trade down one or two spots?  You'll still get the guy you want, but you'll also get an extra pick or some other asset.  And, if someone does the unexpected and takes your guy, that still leaves you with a much higher-ranked player (and a pick).

22 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Irrelevant to the point. 

22 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

So much hindsight bias.

Firstly, Thehockeywriters.com has us having the 7th best prospect pool in the league. https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-best-farm-systems-2017-ranking/ , so stating we're "middle of the pack" is a blatant lie, as is stating that Vegas has a better pool than us after one draft. That last one is not only a lie, but a downright idiotic statement.

Secondly, while most scouts had Glass slightly ahead of Pettersson, it was only slightly. Swapping Pettersson with Glass certainly wouldn't make any difference to how our pool is perceived. If anything, Pettersson has a higher ceiling, but slipped a little lower due to his size/weight.

Thirdly, our D pool would look a lot worse if we didn't have Juolevi in the system. Defencemen are important, and traditionally take longer to develop. "Statistical analysis" will back that statement up.

With all that being said, everything you just stated is irrelevant to the point you were attempting to make earlier. You stated that our 10th-20th ranked prospects in years past didn't make much of a dent in the NHL in attempt to create a parallel between the prospect pools of years past and our current pool to try and undermine our current prospects. I came back at you saying that our pool is much deeper now, so the context has changed in that prospects that were highly ranked in years past wouldn't be so highly ranked when stacked up against our current pool. 

You still haven't countered that point. You just went on a rant about how we suck now and how we could have had Ehlers/Nylander/Tkachuk/Glass. Yawn.

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Irrelevant to the point. 

So much hindsight bias.

Firstly, Thehockeywriters.com has us having the 7th best prospect pool in the league. https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-best-farm-systems-2017-ranking/ , so stating we're "middle of the pack" is a blatant lie, as is stating that Vegas has a better pool than us after one draft. That last one is not only a lie, but a downright idiotic statement.

Secondly, while most scouts had Glass slightly ahead of Pettersson, it was only slightly. Swapping Pettersson with Glass certainly wouldn't make any difference to how our pool is perceived. If anything, Pettersson has a higher ceiling, but slipped a little lower due to his size/weight.

Thirdly, our D pool would look a lot worse if we didn't have Juolevi in the system. Defencemen are important, and traditionally take longer to develop. "Statistical analysis" will back that statement up.

With all that being said, everything you just stated is irrelevant to the point you were attempting to make earlier. You stated that our 10th-20th ranked prospects in years past didn't make much of a dent in the NHL in attempt to create a parallel between the prospect pools of years past and our current pool to try and undermine our prospects. I came back at you saying that our pool is much deeper now, so the context has changed in that prospects that were highly ranked in years past wouldn't be so highly ranked when stacked up against our current pool. 

You still haven't countered that point. You just went on a rant about how we suck now and how we could have had Ehlers/Nylander/Tkachuk/Glass. Yawn.

So our current prospect ranking is seventh.  Would we happy with a team that is only good enough to finish seventh?  How about we stay at the bottom for two more years, continue to draft near the top of all the rounds, build our prospect pool to number one, and then (when those prospects are developed) compete for Cups?

47 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So much hindsight bias.

No.  I wanted Ehlers (or Nylander if he was taken) and was pissed when Benning chose Virtanen (people on this board know I've been slamming that pick for literally years now).  I almost threw something at the tv when he chose not to take Tkachuk..  And, this year, I wanted to trade down about 5 spots to take Lias Andersson (and the high 2nd round pick that would have come with him).  Then, I would have gotten absolutely screwed when Andersson was taken 10 spots higher than anyone expected.  So, I would have taken Tippett (and the pick) instead.  Heck, Pettersson would still have been available.  With the pick, I would have taken Lind, Hague, Heponiemi or Davidsson.

So, yeah, not hindsight, I made my picks at the time.  And my picks would have gotten us Ehlers, Tkachuk, Tippett and one of Hague/Lind/Davidsson/Heponiemi.  Instead, we got Pettersson, Juolevi and Virtanen.

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think JB believes (philosophically) that he can "out draft" the other 30 teams, from no matter where he picks in the draft.  

I disagree my fine furry alien, I think JB drafts to the need of position and style of system and he didn't have all that much to work with when he got here and along with those long term contracts that are gone he's getting older vets the best he can afford (kinda) and let the youth learn from them as well as coaching staff so yes we will see some good hockey as the team finally gets to practice and play with a semi-set roster.

Anyone thinking that Travis has it easy is crazy, lots of different combinations of players to put together in different games that some nights dictate we ice a tougher team than we normally would but still snipers left in or the rear guard pairings and all of them have one stay at home Dman and one puck mover/scorer then with that we stand a chance but then we can ice a team of a lot of raw skill too against Elite but Benning is still into upgrading the team as his job depends on it but we all know rebuilds take time depending on whose available at what price...  meh...  People may hate me but I surely do not want the Sedins back because we need two bigger badder FASTER power forwards with that cap (give or take) but would love to get 2 of those...

Archived