apollo

Who Will Be our Dark Horse Next Season?

Rate this topic

130 posts in this topic

The dog days of summer continue... waiting patiently for our glorious Vancouver Canucks to set foot back on the ice...

So who does CDC think has a legitimate shot at being our dark horse next year? You can argue it was Granlund and Troy last year... who both surprised. You can argue that tall defenseman was also a dark horse... I forget his name. Jimmy Jackson? Nicky Treeburt? Something along those lines... 

Few Candidates: 

• Alexander Burmistrov: scored 14 points in 26 games with Arizona averaging around 15 minutes of ice time per game... his struggles have been well documented defensively. Perhaps with a new change of scenery and a show me contract, the 25 year old Russian will turn around his career? I wouldn't be surprised if he hits north of 41 points (or 0.5points per game)
  • Anton Rodin: Horrible luck last year and is on another show me contract. If he stays healthy he could be an x-factor for the team. Another guy that could get above the 0.5ppg
  • Jayson Megna: Another show me contract... I think he'll have a chip on his shoulder. He was a focal point for the anti WD fans and became a scapegoat. Could come up big and prove a lot of people wrong. Also it would be major laughs to see him do well and the forum reaction. 

I'd say Goldy, Brock, resurgence of Loui, Virtanen but I think those are guys you expect to do well. So can't really call them a dark horse... but surely cases could be made. 

Here's to hoping our dark horses are part of a deep playoff run!  

4 minutes ago, apollo said:

The dog days of summer continue... waiting patiently for our glorious Vancouver Canucks to set foot back on the ice...

So who does CDC think has a legitimate shot at being our dark horse next year? You can argue it was Granlund and Troy last year... who both surprised. You can argue that tall defenseman was also a dark horse... I forget his name. Jimmy Jackson? Nicky Treeburt? Something along those lines... 

Few Candidates: 

• Alexander Burmistrov: scored 14 points in 26 games with Arizona averaging around 15 minutes of ice time per game... his struggles have been well documented defensively. Perhaps with a new change of scenery and a show me contract, the 25 year old Russian will turn around his career? I wouldn't be surprised if he hits north of 41 points (or 0.5points per game)
  • Anton Rodin: Horrible luck last year and is on another show me contract. If he stays healthy he could be an x-factor for the team. Another guy that could get above the 0.5ppg
  • Jayson Megna: Another show me contract... I think he'll have a chip on his shoulder. He was a focal point for the anti WD fans and became a scapegoat. Could come up big and prove a lot of people wrong. Also it would be major laughs to see him do well and the forum reaction. 

I'd say Goldy, Brock, resurgence of Loui, Virtanen but I think those are guys you expect to do well. So can't really call them a dark horse... but surely cases could be made. 

Here's to hoping our dark horses are part of a deep playoff run!  

Miller is gone.

Just now, riffraff said:

Miller is gone.

I wouldn't call Miller our dark horse... he was more our MVP. 

I don't think you can call a proven elite goaltender of his caliber a dark horse. He's won a Vezina and was on a 6 million dollar contract. 

I see this team in the bottom 6, so while there'll be an improvement, nothing to write home about. 

For a darkhorse, I can see Ben Hutton potting 35+ points next year if he isn't traded which I'm 50/50 on.

That new goalie - Nielsen.  We will give up a lot of chances, so it will be one of our goalies.  

I hope that Burmistrov comes into town and continues to produce like he did at the end of the season last year. 

My vote is Hutton or Stecher

Rodin - I don't have much faith

Virtanen - might be a stretch

Gaunce - no way

38 minutes ago, Jaku said:

I hope that Burmistrov comes into town and continues to produce like he did at the end of the season last year. 

My vote is also for Burmi. That's my dude! 50 pts, minimum. Mark my words, we will all be witnesses! 

He's my Bobby Sanguinetti :P And since my prediction on Granlund worked out, so can this one! 

After a disappointing first season due to injury, and signing one-year contract to show he can still play like he did in the SHL, I think it will be Anton Rodin.

So who does CDC think has a legitimate shot at being our dark horse next year?

If we are close to 100% healthy for most/all of the season?  Sure.

Has this team ever been that?  Nope.

Del Zotto or Gagne

Because the universe enjoys playing tricks on me.

My pick is Zak MacEwen he has everything you need to be a player he just need confidence and he could be the big surprise of the season.

maybe Nilsson... if he takes the job from Marky due to an outstanding performance that would be a pretty big deal. 

I'm hoping its Jake with 20 goals tho. 

Posted (edited)

Travis Green because he doesn't twitch.

Edited by nuckin_futz