The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Will Be our Dark Horse Next Season?

apollo

18 minutes ago, nux_win said:

I'm also intrigued by Wiercioch.  I rarely hear him mentioned on these boards these days with all our new prospects and new arrivals but he is intriguing.  Depending on how training camp goes, he's a guy that could end up starting in the AHL or playing an important role on the Canucks.  I like it that it is hard to know.  I like that we have real competition at all positions right now.  If the young guys want to play, and I think they should if they can, they have to take jobs away from people who are already NHL ready.  

Rodin is another interesting wild card.  It never hurts to have a few wild cards in your hand.  GCG!

Just had a look at Pat on Hockeysfuture... sure it's out dated but he's ranked 7.0 with B probability to reach potential... if he turns into a Shattenkirk, Martinez or Petry for us, that would be a steal! 

Very out dated but still: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/patrick_wiercioch/ 

7. Second-Line Forward/ No. 3-4 Defenseman / Journeyman No. 1 Goaltender – players not quite good enough to play on the top line or pairing on a regular basis, but still possessing enough talent to contribute offensively, defend with some authority, or competently play the goaltender’s position for long stretches.

Defense: Kevin Shattenkirk, Alec Martinez, Jeff Petry 

2012-13: Wiercioch was one of several rookies to step into the lineup for Ottawa and finished as the second-leading scorer amongst Senators defensemen. In 42 games he scored 5 goals with 14 assists and was +9 with 39 penalty minutes; averaging 15:41 minutes of ice time. Wierioch missed time late in the season due to injury and suffered a season-ending leg injury in the first period of his only playoff appearance in Game 3 against Montreal. Wiercioch played 32 games for Ottawa's AHL affiliate in Binghamton prior to his call up, scoring 10 goals with 9 assists and finishing +10 with 22 penalty minutes. He was re-signed by Ottawa to a three-year contract as a restricted free agent in July of 2013.

Talent Analysis

Wiercioch has a nice blend of size and skill. He’s a good all-round defenseman who can play in many different situations. A mobile puck moving defenseman, he has very good hands but needs to improve his skating. Additional size and strength will need to be added to become more effective against higher competition. Has the smarts and know how to be effective.

40 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Maybe 25-30 pts, Burmistrov will be lucky to play every game? Burm will not be a top 9 guy so he will not put up 50pts..lol

Bart- Bo- Boeser

Sedin - Sedin - Grandlund

Erickson - Gagner - Sutter

4th line several players, Gaunce, Virtanen, Boucher, Goldobin, Burmistrov, Dorsette, MacEwen 6'4 toughness, Burmistrov will be 4th line guy so sorry..

This is the joke.

This is your head. 

Whoosh.

He really is my choice for dark horse though. He has a lot to prove, and seems committed to trying to make it work in North America, even if he has to take his lumps in the process. If he can secure a full time spot with the team out of camp then I predict he'll have one of his best seasons in years. He looked really good with AZ last season. He's been rejuvenated.

43 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

This is the joke.

This is your head. 

Whoosh.

He really is my choice for dark horse though. He has a lot to prove, and seems committed to trying to make it work in North America, even if he has to take his lumps in the process. If he can secure a full time spot with the team out of camp then I predict he'll have one of his best seasons in years. He looked really good with AZ last season. He's been rejuvenated.

Do you know why they didn't keep him - he was a RFA. 

Nilsson. He's a dream backup. Far more talented and dedicated than a lot of people will expect. Could very realistically pry the starting role from Marky, but I hope Jacob takes the push from Anders and it drives him to perform.

Burmistrov or Rodin could also easily impress, but I have no idea whether either of them even get a real chance to succeed.

Maybe Stecher too. He's good and will only get better. Huge piece of the future core that could really start to shine as early as this season.

25 minutes ago, mll said:

Do you know why they didn't keep him - he was a RFA. 

I honestly am not sure. I just chalked it up to them having a glut of fresh youngsters fighting for spots, some of whom have already demonstrated they are at or near NHL ready with seemingly higher ceilings (Dvorak, Fischer, Strome, etc.). Burmi is what, 25 years old? I anticipate improvement (hopefully back to his ~2011 form) but we've likely seen what we can get from him. 

18 minutes ago, nergish said:

Nilsson. He's a dream backup. Far more talented and dedicated than a lot of people will expect. Could very realistically pry the starting role from Marky, but I hope Jacob takes the push from Anders and it drives him to perform.

Burmistrov or Rodin could also easily impress, but I have no idea whether either of them even get a real chance to succeed.

Maybe Stecher too. He's good and will only get better. Huge piece of the future core that could really start to shine as early as this season.

Looking at Nilsson's stats from last year excited me. Sure he only played 26 games... but 0.923 on not the greatest Buffalo team is quite impressive. Either him or Burmy could turn out to be Jim's best signing of the summer.

STATS

2016-17  Buffalo Sabres              NHL    26  1493   66   0  1  2.67  10  10   4   791  0.923

3 hours ago, wildcam said:

Maybe 25-30 pts, Burmistrov will be lucky to play every game? Burm will not be a top 9 guy so he will not put up 50pts..lol

Bart- Bo- Boeser

4th line several players, Gaunce, Virtanen, Boucher, Goldobin, Burmistrov, Dorsette, MacEwen 6'4 toughness, Burmistrov will be 4th line guy so sorry..

wow the ice will get really crowded when our 4th line is put on

i did not know we could carry so many players on our team

:P

Got a feeling one of Burmistrov or Rodin are going to have a big season. Then again, they could easily end up in the dog-house. Burmistrov really lit it up last season once he got into a groove so if Green can find him a nice line then he'll have success. I think the same will go for Rodin provided he stays healthy.

Lots of potential for break-out seasons, but also lots of potential for quiet invisible seasons, there are lots of low risk high reward signings and players coming into next season.

Rodin - A mature man with a lot of talent and a true desire to prove himself.

Virtanen - No one has more to prove than Jake and I think Green likes him. Played terrific once he got into shape and over himself.

Gaunce - Up and coming defensive stalwart being tutored by Malhotra himself. I see nothing but NHLer in the Gauncer.

4 hours ago, wildcam said:

Bart- Bo- Boeser

I think that's really going to depend on which Burmistrov we get. His time in Arizona is by far his most productive in the NHL to date and would have been on pace of over 40 points had he played a full 82 game season with the club. On the other hand, he never did such a thing in Winnipeg. lol

Archived