The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Will Be our Dark Horse Next Season?

apollo

Gudbranson is pretty motivated after receiving only a one year contract and having an injury plagued season.  I think he could surprise if he works on his lateral movement and initial stride this off season.  Although the new NHL is not build for his strengths... I'll be watching him very closely.

Rodin has skill, but may not get the right opportunity with the team unless we get some injuries with our top 9 wingers.  Playing the 4th line will not be a fit for him.

Erickkson will have a bounce back season potting 30 goals... this time all will be in the other teams net!

Nillson was quite impressive in our games against Edmonton... I didn't see him in Buffalo, but those are outstanding numbers.  Markstrom was unable to unseat Miller as the starter mainly because of his glove hand.  Consistency is not Markstrom's strong suit.  I could see a 50/50 split at the end of the season with Nillson having the better stats.

3 hours ago, Hockey101 class said:

Grandland going to surprise everyone this kid can play. I hope  Goldoblin is another, that kid's offensively gifted. Anyone that says Megna terrible is an idiot he's just not 1st liner or 2nd liner this is gonna get me in trouble but he's a lot further ahead than Guance .

Granlund was the undisputed 'dark horse' of last season...A lot of fans had him pencilled in as Utica bound,but he came into camp and let his play do the talking..I don't think he's going to surprise anybody at camp this season,because he's already demonstrated he's an NHL player.

On 8/11/2017 at 9:04 PM, The Lock said:

He was good defensively and with systems obviously. I think most people are unhappy that he didn't provide more than that. He was kind of just... there... using a slot on the team....lol

Having said that, he was an AHL player filling in due to lack of depth and played 58 games in a team in transition packed with youngsters, playing often in the top 3 lines and yet managed to be -4 on the season.

That is not too shabby imo.

1 hour ago, shayster007 said:

Gaunce. The guy has such strong fundamentals its crazy. Looks like a true power forward in the AHL but seemed like he was trying to hard to be perfect for uncle Willie which stifled his offence. I think we see a strong year this year.  

Can you substantiate any of that BS?

Gaunce was -2 over 57 games and had the 2nd highest corsi in the team (for players playing over 50 games) - these stats speak to outstanding coaching - provided you know something about hockey.

Go read what Green said about how much Gaunce progressed after 12 games under WD the previous season.

He said he came back almost unrecognisable in his improvement.

You forget Green and WD were good friends.

If we see an improved Gaunce this season and I think we will, it will be a lot to do with the grounding he got last season, the work Gaunce has put in this off season and the possibility of better line mates.

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

Granlund was the undisputed 'dark horse' of last season...A lot of fans had him pencilled in as Utica bound,but he came into camp and let his play do the talking..I don't think he's going to surprise anybody at camp this season,because he's already demonstrated he's an NHL player.

Sorry I miss understood dark horse I'm saying  Granlund gonna put up numbers, points. For making the team Gaudette gonna surprise a lot of people. Not saying he's gonna start the season in the NHL but he's gonna make a couple veterans expendable.

1 hour ago, Hockey101 class said:

Sorry I miss understood dark horse I'm saying  Granlund gonna put up numbers, points. For making the team Gaudette gonna surprise a lot of people. Not saying he's gonna start the season in the NHL but he's gonna make a couple veterans expendable.

He isnt under contract, until the tail end of the season, thats saying he signs with us. Which i think will happen. 

In order players i think have the strongest chance to surprise. 

1. Gudbranson - I think he is going to be a force on the defensive side . 

2. Rodin - If he stays healthy, i say he could put up anywhere from 30-45 points. 

3. Gaunce - High Iq player. Needs a little more explosiveness and better linemates, which he will have this year. 

Players i expect to Dissapoint or take a step back. 

1. Hutton - His Defensive zone coverage is horrendous and hes not a strong offensive dman. As far as a teammate the guy gets an A+. 

2. Stecher - I think hes going to be a very good 5/6 dman for a very long time. But, i think he takes a step back this year. 

3. Baertschi - I only see him as a player which can put up 30-40 points, which isnt bad. But, expectations are too high for him. Future 1st/2nd line Lw, sorry not in my eyes. 

4. Marky - I dont think he is a #1 stand alone goalie. But, im hoping im wrong. 

Definitely Gudbranson in my books. I actually thought he did a lot of great things last year, especially seeing as how he was playing injured for quite some time. 

He's obviously not going to put up a bunch of numbers for us, but that's not his game. I think his toughness (likely without Dorsett this year, we're really going to need that element of his game) as well as his heart and leadership will shine through next year.

I'm hoping after next year we slap an A on his chest and extend his contract.  

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Gaunce was -2 over 57 games and had the 2nd highest corsi in the team (for players playing over 50 games) - these stats speak to outstanding coaching - provided you know something about hockey.

Go read what Green said about how much Gaunce progressed after 12 games under WD the previous season.

If we see an improved Gaunce this season and I think we will, it will be a lot to do with the grounding he got last season, the work Gaunce has put in this off season and the possibility of better line mates.

Nice response. Very good job sounding like a huge jerk.

What I said is Gaunce had crazy good fundamentals  (defense and under lying numbers) but looked worried about making mistakes and didn't let his offence flow (5 points, no goals). All which are true. I have re-read your response multiple times and I can't figure out where you disagree with I said enough to justify such an rude response. Well done.

1 hour ago, shayster007 said:

What I said is Gaunce had crazy good fundamentals  (defense and under lying numbers) but looked worried about making mistakes and didn't let his offence flow (5 points, no goals). All which are true. I have re-read your response multiple times and I can't figure out where you disagree with I said enough to justify such an rude response. Well done.

He sleeps with a picture of Willie by his bed side he may suffer from a syndrome called Bordeline-pathological (celebrity worship).

2 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

He sleeps with a picture of Willie by his bed side he may suffer from a syndrome called Bordeline-pathological (celebrity worship).

Ahhh ok, makes sense. I'm sad Uncle Willie had to go. I liked the guy, but I'm more excited about coach Green. My patience wore thing with Willie last year.

10 hours ago, alfstonker said:

That's a no no to mention Willie around here..the peanut  gallery has the minus at full cock on their plastic gun. Going to be a laugh when Green does a lot of similar things that the hated Willie did.

10 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Your post masqueraded as some kind of inciteful, sports character, psychological, analysis babble. Give it up, you are only digging a deeper hole.

None of it is TRUE it's only your biased opinion designed to in some way detract from a good coach.

My response wasn't rude it was an expression of amazement at a disrespectful attack on Desjardins with "but seemed like he was trying to(o) hard to be perfect for uncle Willie which stifled his offence."

You can't write stuff like that and not expect to be challenged.

The team o/a performed badly when it came to scoring. Loui scored 24 points, 19 more than Gaunce while playing 8 more games on the top two lines with better line mates.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Your post masqueraded as some kind of inciteful, sports character, psychological, analysis babble. Give it up, you are only digging a deeper hole.

None of it is TRUE it's only your biased opinion designed to in some way detract from a good coach.

My response wasn't rude it was an expression of amazement at a disrespectful attack on Desjardins with "but seemed like he was trying to(o) hard to be perfect for uncle Willie which stifled his offence."

You can't write stuff like that and not expect to be challenged.

The team o/a performed badly when it came to scoring. Loui scored 24 points, 19 more than Gaunce while playing 8 more games on the top two lines with better line mates.

Challenging someone is fine. This entire board is for fans who want to discuss the game with other fans. Challenging someone by just acting like a high and mighty jerk is unnecessary and rude. Who hurt you?

31 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Challenging someone is fine. This entire board is for fans who want to discuss the game with other fans. Challenging someone by just acting like a high and mighty jerk is unnecessary and rude. Who hurt you?

It seems to me you love to act the jerk by disrespecting a good coach who can't defend himself but you get butthurt when someone pulls you up on it. 

Go read your initial post again and realise who was acting the jerk.

21 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Seems to me, thats what we call an opinion...

Anyway, im not sure thats too unsubstantiated as WD did have all playing a very structured game. If Gaunce wasnt a defencive guy he prob wouldnt have played... Not far fetched considering what he did with Goldy... My 2 cents anyway..

Will he be THE dark horse.. Prob not... But if he plays does he have a better offensive chance with Green? Probably...

Archived