The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van/Wash

Van: Hutton, Granlund , cond 2019 3rd

Wash: Orpik, Vrana, 2018 1st

Rationale: The Caps are at 71 mill (17/23 contracts)..thus, are in a bit of a pinch. Orpik is an old dinosaur at 5.5 mill, for 2 more yrs. They save almost 3 mill between him & Hutty..which is why we get the 1st. We're using our cap space to improve the future.

Granlund is more of an age(mid 20's) that fits the Caps..as opposed to Vrana. His cap is also under 1 million, for great value.

Vrana could compete with the Boucher, Goldy-types for a spot(or be sent down, no troubles). If he performed at a certain level(I don't know? 30 pts perhaps?), we'd upgrade our 3rd in 2019, to a 2nd.

Future targets:

- Guddy to TO for their 2018 1st

- Edler to Mtl/Ott for the same thing

*******************Game Plan******************

Try to get about 3 extra 1st's out East. All these teams are full of hubris that they're contenders, but they're competing against each other. 1 or 2 could crumple with injuries..never know?

We should load-up with 1st's at the 2018 draft. Cheaper to obtain months before the spring.

15 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Rationale: The Caps are at 71 mill (17/23 contracts)..thus, are in a bit of a pinch. Orpik is an old dinosaur at 5.5 mill, for 2 more yrs. They save almost 3 mill between him & Hutty..which is why we get the 1st. We're using our cap space to improve the future.

Granlund is more of an age(mid 20's) that fits the Caps..as opposed to Vrana. His cap is also under 1 million, for great value.

Vrana could compete with the Boucher, Goldy-types for a spot(or be sent down, no troubles). If he performed at a certain level(I don't know? 30 pts perhaps?), we'd upgrade our 3rd in 2019, to a 2nd.

Future targets:

Try to get about 3 extra 1st's out East. All these teams are full of hubris that they're contenders, but they're competing against each other. 1 or 2 could crumple with injuries..never know?

We should load-up with 1st's at the 2018 draft. Cheaper to obtain months before the spring.

I love the idea of accumulating 2018 first rounders.  JB can draft players with those picks, or use the picks to move in the draft.  

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Future targets:

Seems like an over payment by a fair bit. Washington usually finishes near the top of the standings. If that conditional third becomes a second, that could mean a difference of only a few draft spots. Vrana is young but all in all seems like a meh prospect. Giving up Granlund and Hutton while taking back a cap dump in Orpik should get us way more than this

2 hours ago, HockeydownUnder said:

Seems like an over payment by a fair bit. Washington usually finishes near the top of the standings. If that conditional third becomes a second, that could mean a difference of only a few draft spots. Vrana is young but all in all seems like a meh prospect. Giving up Granlund and Hutton while taking back a cap dump in Orpik should get us way more than this

Except our cond pick is from the yr 2019. In 2018 we don't give them one.

5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Future targets:

I like the premise Nux

but I would like to change the players on our end

Edler @ 50% + Baertschi + conditional 2019 3rd

for

Orpik, Vrana, and 2018 1st

Personally, I don't know if I like the idea of bringing back a 36 year old defender in Orpik when we already have Gudbranson back there. Also, losing Hutton means our defense gets older. This also strikes me as going the wrong direction of what we want on our backend as we'll likely have no Orpik in 2 years after his contract expires and no Hutton.

Also, on Washington's side, and this is playing more Devil's Advoate than anything, they might want to keep Orpik as well if they're looking to make another cup run. He did play a full season afterall and those kind of players tend to be underrated imo.

I don't know enough about Vrana to say much there. I can only really look at his stats and they seem underwhelming. I could be wrong though. I just think our backend needs more attention than our front at this point. The 1st for us is also obviously nice to have

I don't really know where the values stand in this case, but I don't really like the back end changes with this. I just don't like the idea of replacing Hutton for what would be effectively a rental player. lol 

Orpik and a 1st as a cap dump absorption seems fine any other year.  Even with Hutton gone, and presuming Del Zotto holds down the 2nd pair spot on the left, with Orpik in the fold he would be taking up time from younger hopefuls like Weircioch and Pedan, both of whom are cheaper and should be looking to prove themselves, not be on the outside looking in.  If we do get him I think the best course of action would be to flip him to a contender later on since he doesn't fit the team's timeline.

Since it's a cap dump (and Hutton is still on an ELC which should only up his value), that basically leaves Granny for Vrana.  I don't know much about their prospect but it seems like an overpayment considering he's another winger and we give up an NHL player for him.  At best this part seems like a wash if Jakub shows promise.  I think either Washington adds or we decline it because we give up two young guys on value deals for a cap albatross and an unproven prospect.

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

I like the premise Nux

but I would like to change the players on our end

Edler @ 50% + Baertschi + conditional 2019 3rd

for

Orpik, Vrana, and 2018 1st

This variation works even better for me, Jan. Trouble is..Washington currently has 4 mill open, with only 17/23 signed.

The cap space I feel is their incentive here. After the above Hutton deal, they'd have about about 6 mill left, with 18 signed.

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

Orpik and a 1st as a cap dump absorption seems fine any other year.  Even with Hutton gone, and presuming Del Zotto holds down the 2nd pair spot on the left, with Orpik in the fold he would be taking up time from younger hopefuls like Weircioch and Pedan, both of whom are cheaper and should be looking to prove themselves, not be on the outside looking in.  If we do get him I think the best course of action would be to flip him to a contender later on since he doesn't fit the team's timeline.

Since it's a cap dump (and Hutton is still on an ELC which should only up his value), that basically leaves Granny for Vrana.  I don't know much about their prospect but it seems like an overpayment considering he's another winger and we give up an NHL player for him.  At best this part seems like a wash if Jakub shows promise.  I think either Washington adds or we decline it because we give up two young guys on value deals for a cap albatross and an unproven prospect.

In truth, we'd prob be better(after the deal) if Orpik broke his leg in camp. Don't even really want the guy. He's just a placeholder, 'til OJ & Brise(et al..) are a little older/bigger. Del Zotto, Wiercoch, Holm, McEneny..they all help to bridge a humble, 2 yr spell.

The prize is another ticket for next yr's first round. Should Orpik tread water, we then deal Edler for Another 1st.

Great time to stockpile...

17 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Future targets:

So We are trading Hutton, Gudbrunson and Edler? Really we would have the weakest defence in league ..Van has a average D this year.

People are paying big money and trading 3 of are top 5 Dman will never happen...Trading to Toronto, Washington, Montreal would all be late 1st round picks between 22nd and 31st.. I can see maybe one of those Dman traded but you will never see all 3 traded..

No problem with the idea of bringing in a cap anchor and a pick for a lesser asset to secure a pick...

But moving young players like Hutton and granlund are not the age of player you trade unless they are bums... 

Not a terrible idea but the wrong players going back to the caps. ...

I just do not think getting rid of two young guys for a so so player, cap dump and 1st will win any fans over plus Benning would want to keep both unless it is for a 25 plus scorer 23ish in age

doubt this would happen, but I agree at TDL some players might go for a 1st or whatever we can get top 3 rounds that would help us, plus young minor players as benning has this year and maybe next to get to the playoffs or he is gone

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Van/Wash

Archived