The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

let kids develop one more year.

RetroCanuck

What to do with the kids.  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Im curious too know what fans think is best for this team in the next couple years of our rebuild. In my mind theres no point for any of our top prospects to be on the team this year. It won't hurt they're development to play in other pro leagues with men and may prepare them more for the NHL. Besides the Canucks are going to suck this year so why introduce our young prospects into a potential losing culture. After one more year we could see a lot of NHL ready prospects stepping into the Canucks organization. This upcoming year should be used to evaluate potential NHL players in Boucher, Rodin, Burmistrov, Gaunce at forward. Del Zotto, Hutton, Holm, Wiercoch, Pedan, McEneny, Subban on defence. Also can give shots to guys who are waived. Let these guys compete for spots and become/make tradeable assets throughout the season.

To start the year.

Baer-Bo-Rodin

Sedins-Granlund

Gagner-Sutter-Eriksson

Gaunce-Burmistrov-Dorsett

Boucher

Edler-Stetcher

Hutton-Tanev

Del Zotto-Guddy

Pedan-Wiercoch

Honestly Id say we could trade almost anyone in our forward ranks except for BOOO and Granlund(who I thinks going to have another breakout year). Trade who you can before the deadline and slowly insert our prospects throughout the year. After next year we will see a major youth movement with the likes of Pettersson, Boeser, Juolevi, Dahlen, Virtanen, 2018 1st (DAHLIN!) competing hard for spots.

Goldy-Bo-Boeser

Dahlen-Pettersson-Granlund

Virtanen-Sutter-Eriksson

Juolevi-Stetcher

Hutton-Guddy

Del Zotto-Tryamkin

Subban

Curious too know what others thoughts are but one has to appreciate our rebuild so far and the work Benning has done!

9 minutes ago, rawkdrummer said:

Some kids might be ready and developing means playing against the best.

You can't just throw out a blanket statement and cover all the young ones, they're all individuals and need 

to be treated that way with respect to development.

Virtanen and Mccann were said to be ready but that clearly wasn't the case. Patience with prospects is important, just ask an Edmonton fan

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

This is what camp is for. Nothing will be given to any of the young guys.

And if any of them struggle they can always be sent down part way into the season.

And if any of them are clearly the best at their position, they can (like Stecher) be sent down before the season starts, so some guy (who's crap, and will not get claimed if waived - Larsen) can get a spot.  JB announced on more than one occasion that he will make space for the young guys, if they deserve it.  Has he ever even done that?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

And if any of them are clearly the best at their position, they can (like Stecher) be sent down before the season starts, so some guy (who's crap, and will not get claimed if waived - Larsen) can get a spot.  JB announced on more than one occasion that he will make space for the young guys, if they deserve it.  Has he ever even done that?

Higgins got sent to Utica.  Prust too.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Pretty sure we sent Higgins and Prust down for that purpose.

And Stecher did come back. Sometimes some cap maneuvering needs to be done at the start of the season though.

I don't mind chatting about this stuff during these non-hockey days of summer. Better than the "Tanev to..." threads.

Some players will be ready, some not. I expect Pettersson, Dahlen and Juolevi to play in Europe next season. Boeser, Goldobin and Virtanen may be good enough to play on the team, but with Benning going out and signing Burmistrov, Gagner and Rodin, it makes me think he's pushing to have the younger guys play a year in Utica, maybe be callups when injuries hit. Boeser is the odd man out IMO. He made a statement in his 9 games last season. There's talk of him being a Calder candidate. I'd be disappointed if they decided he should play in Utica, so Gaunce could have a spot. Boeser is ready and I want to see him and Bo rack 'em up.   

29 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't mind chatting about this stuff during these non-hockey days of summer. Better than the "Tanev to..." threads.

Some players will be ready, some not. I expect Pettersson, Dahlen and Juolevi to play in Europe next season. Boeser, Goldobin and Virtanen may be good enough to play on the team, but with Benning going out and signing Burmistrov, Gagner and Rodin, it makes me think he's pushing to have the younger guys play a year in Utica, maybe be callups when injuries hit. Boeser is the odd man out IMO. He made a statement in his 9 games last season. There's talk of him being a Calder candidate. I'd be disappointed if they decided he should play in Utica, so Gaunce could have a spot. Boeser is ready and I want to see him and Bo rack 'em up.   

Unless Boeser has a terrible pre season and comes in out of shape or something ( which is unlikely ) I want to see him in the line up to start the season.  Rodin seems like another guy that we haven't had a good long look at yet either.  Burm produced at a respectable rate in ARI too, it wouldn't hurt to see what he's got.  Something needs to chang in the lineup to make room for these guys though, and management would be wise to take a look maybe a few other players when the timing is right ( eliminated from the playoffs, injuries etc.) given who knows if this will be the last we will  see of the Sedins.  

Some of these guys may end up as trade bait too which is fine.

34 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't really see Boeser competing with Gaunce for a spot, since at this point Gaunce is a defensive C/LW while Boeser is an offensive RW. I expect them both to make the team this season.

6 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I don't really see Boeser competing with Gaunce for a spot, since at this point Gaunce is a defensive C/LW while Boeser is an offensive RW. I expect them both to make the team this season.

Yup, both those guys make the team out of camp.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Horvat, Vey,  Virtanen, Granlund, Bear, Stetcher, Hutton, Tryamkin all took somebodies spot for a least a little while.  

Bure didn't start until he was twenty, not many teenagers make this league and stick.  Dahlen, Virtanen, Goldobin, Gaunce and even Gaudette are close though.  Given the coaching changes in both clubs I wouldnt be surprised if Boeser is the lone guy to start and stick and expect some waiver manouvering as well.  

Injuries will give the team the openings they need for try outs later, same with Greens knowledge of a lot of these guys and adjustments he feels would help once he gets a feel for what he has to work with should also favour some call ups.  

It's nice to be able to talk about this at all, we all hope our stable is full of thoroughbreds and that they can outproduce the vets, and this year the optimism is higher than its been in a long time and rightly so.

I'll trust management has a better handle on it than the CDC, and if that means twenty minutes in the AHL instead of ten in the NHL, then

I'm all for it. 

Each prospect is going to have a different development path. The focus sometimes is too much on a prospects physical tools that we forget how important it is for these young guys to be emotionally ready to play in the NHL. Especially playing in Vancouver where the scrutiny is so intense I think it's important to not overreact if a prospect has a great camp and the organization decides that Utica or going back to juniors, or Europe is better for their long term development. All the physical tools in the world won't help you if you are not ready to handle the emotional roller coaster ride of playing in the NHL, in a Canadian market. Jake Virtanen is a great example of a guy who physically was ready but didn't have the mental and emotional maturity. It was hardly surprising considering he was a 6th overall pick having to deal with playing in his hometown, that's a lot for any young man to deal with. I think giving these prospects time to prepare for the emotional side of playing here will be key to all their development, especially when the Sedins leave and this team becomes even younger.

Option 3: Treat every prospect like their own unique player that develops at their own unique pace as opposed to a piece of meat that can be summed up in a generic poll. 

Prospects aren't microwave dinners, you can't just pop them in, set a timer and take them out when they're done. If every prospect could be put into category A or B then there would be a lot more teams pumping out hot new prospects every year. 

32 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Horvat, Vey,  Virtanen, Granlund, Bear, Stetcher, Hutton, Tryamkin all took somebodies spot for a least a little while.  

Bure didn't start until he was twenty, not many teenagers make this league and stick.  Dahlen, Virtanen, Goldobin, Gaunce and even Gaudette are close though.  Given the coaching changes in both clubs I wouldnt be surprised if Boeser is the lone guy to start and stick and expect some waiver manouvering as well.  

Injuries will give the team the openings they need for try outs later, same with Greens knowledge of a lot of these guys and adjustments he feels would help once he gets a feel for what he has to work with should also favour some call ups.  

It's nice to be able to talk about this at all, we all hope our stable is full of thoroughbreds and that they can outproduce the vets, and this year the optimism is higher than its been in a long time and rightly so.

I'll trust management has a better handle on it than the CDC, and if that means twenty minutes in the AHL instead of ten in the NHL, then

I'm all for it. 

I agree that we have way more prospects to talk about than ever in this team's history.  JB has done a good job of stocking the cupboards.  

It's not like a video game that if you keep them down and they score crazy stats they'll be higher overall players, if they're ready, they're ready. If they're not, send them down.

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Virtanen and Mccann were said to be ready but that clearly wasn't the case. Patience with prospects is important, just ask an Edmonton fan

Neither of those two were ready, they were both rushed.

Archived