The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

let kids develop one more year.

RetroCanuck

What to do with the kids.  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

I believe he was cut to make cap space. This is common on all teams, where they have to move players around to make the cap work.

If they are waiver exempt, its what you have to do to balance space vs asset management.

Stecher played 4 games on the Comets before he was back in Vancouver. He was prioritized to be on the team.

JB should have waived Larsen, to make room for Stecher from the get go.  Stecher got called up only after injury to the d happened.  What message does it send to the team, when the better players are cut because the GM will not make space for them, even after he promised he would?  

This certainly happened to Stecher.  It's not arguable.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JB should have waived Larsen, to make room for Stecher from the get go.  Stecher got called up only after injury to the d happened.  What message does it send to the team, when the better players are cut because the GM will not make space for them, even after he promised he would?  

Of course the previous season, JB waived Corrado, to make room for Hutton. And half the fanbase went apepoop saying it was bad "asset management" (and Hutton should have been papered to Utica, Corrado retained, and Higgins placed on LTIR).

So the next year, Benning sends down his waiver exempt player (Stecher), on the knowledge that the inevitable parade of injuries on D would see him back in Vancouver.

And then the other half of the fanbase complains that JB won't make space for young players.

Ah, the life of a GM in Vancouver. ;) 

4 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Of course the previous season, JB waived Corrado, to make room for Hutton. And half the fanbase went apepoop saying it was bad "asset management" (and Hutton should have been papered to Utica, Corrado retained, and Higgins placed on LTIR).

So the next year, Benning sends down his waiver exempt player (Stecher), on the knowledge that the inevitable parade of injuries on D would see him back in Vancouver.

And then the other half of the fanbase complains that JB won't make space for young players.

Ah, the life of a GM in Vancouver. ;) 

I hear what you're saying, but JB did publicly state he will make room for guys who earn spots.  How will future young UFA college kids look at Stecher's getting cut, even though he earned a spot?  Will Kerfoot sign here, or Butcher?  

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You have made this point 3 times now, and are ignoring potential reasons like cap space issues. Chill.

P.S. Survey options were pretty limited to say the least. No reply.

1 minute ago, groovy said:

You have made this point 3 times now, and are ignoring potential reasons like cap space issues. Chill.

P.S. Survey options were pretty limited to say the least. No reply.

I keep replying to those who continue to make excuses, like cap space, and waiver rules.  JB said that young players, who earn spots, will get a spot.  He promised to make room.  Why continue to make excuses for the unfair treatment of Stecher?  

I heard this morning that Stecher chose to sign with us because he was not promised anything except opportunity.  He said he appreciated the honesty.  Then he earns a spot (clearly) and gets cut!  That message gets out to other potential college UFAs.

I tend to agree with the OP, though I'm doubtful Boeser at the very least, is denied. He'd have to have a pretty serious drop off from last season to not make it on the big club IMO.

Unless they have a phenomenal camp, I fully expect to see Virtanen, Goldobin, Dahlen etc in Utica (or possibly Europe in Dahlen's case). Gaunce could be there on a conditioning stint which would give them time to evaluate Burmistrov IMO. Chaput might also remain up to fill a bottom 6 spot if both Dorsett/Gaunce aren't ready/able.

From there a lot will depend on how Rodin et al do on whether Boeser sticks or not. Gagner IMO is either on Hank or Bo's RW 5v5 so the other two top 9 RW spots will be between Eriksson, Granlund, Boeser, Rodin and Boucher. The numbers there and Boeser's waivers free status could mean he gets 'Stecher'd' while they evaluate and make room too, regardless of him appearing ready. 

Short of a MAJOR improvement I expect Boucher is waived to Utica or maybe 13th forward, though they may also have Rodin penciled in there and ready to pounce and steal spot when injuries strike.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I keep replying to those who continue to make excuses, like cap space, and waiver rules.  JB said that young players, who earn spots, will get a spot.  He promised to make room.  Why continue to make excuses for the unfair treatment of Stecher?  

I heard this morning that Stecher chose to sign with us because he was not promised anything except opportunity.  He said he appreciated the honesty.  Then he earns a spot (clearly) and gets cut!  That message gets out to other potential college UFAs.

The Canucks courted Larsen and convinced him to sign with them.  That would also be sending out the wrong message to UFAs if all they get is a few pre-season games.  

When they say they will make space it doesn't necessarily mean it will happen immediately - teams also have to manage their assets.  They also have to make sure that it's the right decision for the player in the long term.  The vets are also not necessarily giving their all in pre-season - it's not the same mindset as a younger player vying for a spot.

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JB said that young players, who earn spots, will get a spot.  He promised to make room

To make room, you have to actually make room

That's not something you can just wave a magic wand at.

Spot on RC. I like your lineup and your train of thought. If a young guy plays so well in preseason that he earns another 9 games to start the year, then that's cool. But I would not move out other players just to make space for a young dude this year. I would think 1st and 2nd line minutes on a pro team else where would develop better than 3rd and 4th line minutes in the NHL. Then infuse some youth after the trade deadline. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

So, you'd rather waive an asset, potentially losing him for nothing, someone who hasn't really been given a chance to prove if he can actually fit, than have a conversation with a kid who you don't have to waive, about spending a week or two in Utica while you work out the cap?

So, you're saying that you wouldn't be one of the people screaming about giving away players for nothing, instead of doing proper asset management and either working a trade, or knowing that the inevitable will happen, as it always does, where a defenseman will need to be put on IR, thus making the room and not weakening the team for future?

Just clarifying....

18 hours ago, Katobaron said:

Option 3: Treat every prospect like their own unique player that develops at their own unique pace as opposed to a piece of meat that can be summed up in a generic poll. 

Prospects arent microwavewave dinners, you can't just pop them in, set a timer and take them out when they're done. If every prospect could be put into category A or B then there would be a lot more teams pumping out hot new prospects every year. 

Ding ding ding.

/thread.

Any one of them could surprise, and that should make for the most competitive camp in ages.

Some will make it this year, some next. Some never, but I'll put aside my half-empty coffee mug for the time being...

Having said all that, Boeser should be up with the big club. He has the potential to be not only the best of the rookie class at camp, but possibly the best player on the ice, period. I'm pretty confident he'll be staying, but it's not about the team's needs right now... it's about his development as a player - we desperately need him to reach his potential. 9 games is a small sample, but I think it's pretty clear he's already there.

Same with Olli. This camp could be his big statement that he's here and he's ready. If not, another year of development is perfectly fine.

He strikes me as somebody who really feeds off of the players around him and can adapt to any level or any style of play. He'll be my main focus at camp, for sure. I lean towards having him develop for one more year, but I think we're going to see a pretty good Dman at camp who will be hard to send packing...

Goldy is another interesting one. He's already scored at the AHL level, he's proven he deserves to see more NHL action. But if his game still requires some fine tuning, so be it. We didn't trade Hansen for this kid to help immediately, we got him to become part of this team's future. The future ain't here yet!

Dahlen? Eh, forget about it. Absolutely NO need to rush the kid.

I personally love his play and think he's got darkhorse potential for this franchise, but he's still very freshfaced and a bit light. His development took a major spike last year, maybe this isn't even his final form yet! Let him continue to build on this progress. I would like to see him in the AHL to fast track his development, but Sweden may be the better option where he can be a rockstar and get all the hot blondes jumping. If Dahlen gets in the mindset that he can control the pace of the game and be counted on to score timely goals, he'll be better for it. We need these guys to think dynamic offence, so blocking shots and playing stifling hockey in the AHL may set them back in some ways. Imagine if in 6 months Pettersson and Dahlen are doing the same things on the scoresheet they were last year, but at an even higher level? They'll be the faces of the next wave of Swedish hockey royalty.

There's a ton of other variables.

What do we do if Subban comes up and starts scoring goals at will? What if Weircoch comes in doing what Gudbranson was supposed to be doing? What if Rodin starts playing like a young Loui Eriksson... or if he is altogether brutal instead? What if Loui Eriksson starts playing like a young Loui Eriksson? Who is Burmistrov, honestly? What if Gaunce still doesn't score goals, but he's a defensively responsible robot with no other flaws to his game whatsoever? Is Holm another Edler, or another EDLER?

There's also gonna be some speeding meatball named Virtanen skating around at camp, anybody got the goods on this character?

Not to mention our future Mayor, Thatcher Demko, will be there having a laugh knowing he's got no worries going into this season.

Honestly this is the most exciting camp I've been alive for. Can't wait.

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

To make room, you have to actually make room

That's not something you can just wave a magic wand at.

We have 4 forwards who are not really tradable and would just get waived.

Boucher , Rodin, Megna and Chaput.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

If they are sent down just for cap reasons and it is made clear to them that management will work to open up a space for them. Spending a short period of time in the A while the club makes room will not bother most players. Especially if has been properly communicated to the player. They all know it is a business.

There's a veteran rule in the AHL and they will have to manoeuvre around that as well.  

In the AHL no more than 6 veterans can dress per game (re the extras will have to be healthy scratched) and at least one of the veterans cannot have played more than 320 games.  A vet is 260 games and more in any top-tier pro-league.  ECHL games don't count.   

Archibald, Bancks and Hamilton are vets with 320+ games who are signed for this coming season.  Pascal Pelletier, Colby Robak are 320+ vets but I am not sure if they are signed for next season - there's a real logjam if they are.

Assuming only Archibald, Bancks and Hamilton are signed - it leaves only 2 playing spots for the 320+ vets and a spot for Boucher.  

260-320: Boucher

320+: Megna, Chaput, Burmistrov, Rodin, Wiercioch, Biega

With 9Fs and 6Ds likely already set - it leaves spots for either 4Fs + 2Ds or 5Fs + 1D.

18 minutes ago, appleboy said:

We have 4 forwards who are not really tradable and would just get waived.

Boucher , Rodin, Megna and Chaput.

The point was, you can't just waive a wand and create space in all situations (especially as it pertained to Stecher last year). Nor is it necessarily wise to simply turf depth you rightly created because your team sees a ton of injuries. Particularly on D.

I actually think, if Rodin is/can stay healthy, he has a very real shot of sticking and possibly making a guy like Baer expendable at some point this year.

Chaput I could easily see on the bottom line. 

Megna almost certainly is waived. Likely the same with Boucher unless he's night and day improved. Some of those guys making (or not) the big team will depend heavily on which other guys are ready (or not).

Archived