The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] David Pastrnak to be traded

1 hour ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Under 5.5?!?

Image result for adam sandler laughing gif

LOL priceless gif. 

I just wouldn't want to take a risk and give him 6x7 or something outrageous like that. If I'm Boston, I'm offering a bridge deal at a lower aav 

Here's the thing - is Pastrnak good? Hell yeah... But how good is he? Is he a bonafide, elite player? Or is his success due to playing with two of the best 2-way players in the game in Bergeron and Marchand? He is likely looking for a contract comparable to his linemates, but hasn't proven he is in their league.

Same deal with Draisaitl. One top-10 scoring season playing mostly with McDavid and one playoff series doing it on his own, and rumour is he wants to be paid like Kopitar.

These top RFAs are holding out to see if the other team blinks. But it probably will end the same for them as it did for Gaudreau, Kucherov, Lindholm, and Trouba last year - they'll be forced into accepting a more reasonable long-term deal, or have to take a ridiculously cheap bridge deal.

11 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Too much for a 21 year old 70 point scorer? Guddy is a UFA after this year and JV's trade value is maybe that of a mid to late 2nd round pick. There's just no way that would be enough on our end. I'd throw in Goldobin and even that might not be enough.

Guys like Pastrnak never go on the market. So I have my doubts about this report. But if he is traded, the price will be STEEP. Surely more than a soon to be UFA #4 dman and a B prospect. 

Edit: Just to put the kind of season he just had into perspective, 4 out of the last 5 seasons we haven't had a 70 point scorer.

it is too much. We have no idea how he'd do away from Marchand and Bergeron who he got he majority of his points with. You can't sell the farm on one season, and when he has that quality of line mates. 

We've got a bit of a ridiculous youth culture happening right now in the NHL where guys are getting 8 year deals on 1 good season, and others wanting to throw away 20 year olds who had poor development paths. 

Sure Jake's trade value is down, but his upside potential is still there, he's only 20! he may yet be an impactful top 6 guy, worth way more than throwing him away for a 2nd rounder at this point. There's just no reason to trade Jake at all. 

12 hours ago, Ursel23 said:

If we actually traded for him I think a lot of fans would want him playing with Bo not Gagner. 

Bo would be just fine between Baertschi and Boeser. 

Baertschi.       Horvat.         Boeser

Goldy.             Gagne.         Pastrnack

5 minutes ago, D-Money said:

You expect to land Pastrnak without at least one of those other 5 going the other way?

Tanev + Virtanen for Pastrnak? Just spit-bulling, we probably have to add more but that is one way of me seeing how we can get Pastrnak without losing one of those 5

17 hours ago, Nail said:

We already had our chance at him, Benning took McCann one pick before him :lol: 

Great another Benning castoff at the draft table.Now to potentially acquire him it would cost a boat load of our rising young guns An a draft pick to boot .

i would say Gudbransen or Tanev An swap out 1 rst picks next year An throw in Beartschi .

1 hour ago, bobbyg43 said:

Great another Benning castoff at the draft table.Now to potentially acquire him it would cost a boat load of our rising young guns An a draft pick to boot .

i would say Gudbransen or Tanev An swap out 1 rst picks next year An throw in Beartschi .

Can't blame a GM through hindsight. It's kind of impossible to predict the future. Just saying...

This will happen with every GM on every team now and then and to think it's exclusive to Benning would be entirely false.

4 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

it is too much. We have no idea how he'd do away from Marchand and Bergeron who he got he majority of his points with. You can't sell the farm on one season, and when he has that quality of line mates. 

We've got a bit of a ridiculous youth culture happening right now in the NHL where guys are getting 8 year deals on 1 good season, and others wanting to throw away 20 year olds who had poor development paths. 

Sure Jake's trade value is down, but his upside potential is still there, he's only 20! he may yet be an impactful top 6 guy, worth way more than throwing him away for a 2nd rounder at this point. There's just no reason to trade Jake at all. 

I don't think we can simply just state that Pastrnak's success was due to his linemates. As a comparison, Jamie Benn scored 69 points playing with Tyler Seguin, who is arguable better than any of Pastrnak's linemates. So I think we need to give credit where credit is due, although you are right in that it is only 1 year. However, I'd would argue that the list of 70 point scoring 21 year old players that went on to have disappointing careers is pretty much non existent. 

While I'm in no rush to trade JV at his lowest value, trading JV + for a player like Pastrnak is a no brainer IMO. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Tanev?

Yeah it's tough to say if the Bruins would do that. I know they need some defence but it's also true that they want to get younger. Why move a young promising player like Pastrnak? Apparently the Bruins GM has shot down these rumours already.

On 2017-08-14 at 1:56 PM, 70seven said:

Baertschi

Goldobin

Hutton

for

Pastrnak

Sedin Sedin Boeser

Pastrnak Bo Eriksson

Granlund Gagner Sutter

Gaunce Burmistrov Virtanen

I'd do Tanev, Goldobin, and a 2nd. I think they'd take that. They need a guy like Tanev too. 

Sedin - Sedin - Pastrnak

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Granlund - Sutter - Eriksson

Burmistrov - Gagner - Virtanen

Archived