The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] NCAA Free Agent Frenzy! (Sort of)

It's August 15th, and those players who are finishing up their NCAA careers and moving on from the teams that drafted them are now able to sign with whichever teams they like.

Now, I don't have the pageantry of TSN or SN, but I'm hoping to add some hype to this small bit of hockey related news in the long off-season. 

The big fish:

D  - Will Butcher

cut.jpg

The Colorado Avalanche are about to officially lose the rights of the type of player the Colorado Avalanche could really use right about now: a blue-chip defence prospect.

Will Butcher is the reigning Hobey Baker Award champion, an excellent mover of pucks, the captain of an NCAA championship team, and a 22-year-old who can sign to any one of the 31 NHL teams he chooses once the clock strikes midnight.

That Butcher must join the league at an entry-level price means the phone of his agent, Brian Bartlett, will be buzzing. Such was the case of star college graduates like Jimmy Vesey, Kevin Hayes, and Justin Schultz in recent Augusts past.

A steadily improving standout for the University of Denver, Butcher was selected by the Avalanche back in fifth round of the 2013 draft but never signed a deal with the team that finished in last place in 2016-17.

Unlike the bulk of NHL rookies, he now has the power to choose his own adventure.

Butcher put up an impressive 37 points over 43 contests as a slick-passing senior and, in late July, Bartlett announced that his client would be exploring all options.

F - Alex Kerfoot

alex-kerfoot-captained-harvard-last-seas

On-ice, Kerfoot is a tempting target as well. After minimal minutes in his freshman year, Kerfoot has put up better than a point-per-game in each of his three subsequent seasons at Harvard. This past season, he proved that his production wasn’t dependent on departed linemate Vesey by doubling his career-high in goals with 16 and totalling 45 points in 36 games.

The caveats for Kerfoot are two-fold: size and age. He’s just 5’10” and 174 lbs, and he’s going to be 23 years old at the start of the 2017-18 season. Already, he’ll be nearing the upper range in age to still be considered a prospect.

For Kerfoot, a centre, the Canucks may not look very inviting. They have Henrik Sedin, Bo Horvat, Brandon Sutter, and Brendan Gaunce down the middle, as well as Sam Gagner and Alexander Burmistrov. Meanwhile, they’ve got Elias Pettersson and Adam Gaudette waiting in the wings, so to speak, so the path to the Canucks lineup at centre won’t get any easier in the years to come.

Full list:

DGzhIIRXkAATbmc.jpg

-------------------

Sid is Me found some interesting stuff on some of the other players available. His post is here:

-----------------

Aside from the big 2, I think there could be some interesting depth options for Utica. Blaine Byron put up point per game numbers,  despite his limited starts Evan Cowley has some sick numbers, and a big guy like Ben Storm is always worth exploring. 

Good thread (and cheers for the shoutout :))..

It's gonna be interesting to see where all the "holdouts" end up in free agency. While Kerfoot and Butcher have dominated the summer discussions (at least when it comes to Vancouver), there are a handful of other players that are worth considering (some of whom I'd argue represent potentially better signings than Kerfoot).

Blaine Byron is interesting. When he was drafted, Red Line called him the best pure skater in the draft. He was quite undersized (5'10 and 150ish) but has now grown to 6'1" and 185-190 lbs (according to team website). Has great hands and slick puck skills. And is coming off something like 18 goals and 41 points in 36 games last season.

I also mentioned Toninato and Somerby in the other thread.

Toninato is a player Toronto tried to sign last year but he wanted to finish his senior year. Now, TO doesn't really have the contract room to sign him. They have offered him an AHL only contract. He's put up solid numbers in college, has good size, and plays a complete game, including strong physical play. Wore the "C" for UMD and went to the national championship (lost to Denver in the final). Likely projects as a bottom-six forward in the NHL. 

Somerby is your prototypical rugged, defensive defensiveman with great size (6'5 and 225 lbs). His points totals are pretty meagre (which is always concerning when projecting odds of success), but some of that comes down to playing on a team with some good offensive Ds and him being slotted into a very defensive focused role. He's a guy who led his NCAA team (or was among the leaders) every year in blocked shots and hits. Uses his size well. Plays physical. Had some issues with fitness early on and was given the "skates well for his size" faint praise. But over the last couple years has trained hard and shed 20 lbs. Now skates quite smoothly and is extremely fit and well conditioned. Maybe a bit of a late bloomer as he was a power forward who converted to D as a teenager. Team captain and strong leadership ability. Could develop into a solid bottom-pairing/depth D with size and a physical presence.

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Discussion] NCAA Free Agent Frenzy! (Sort of)
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:11 AM, S'all Good Man said:

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME has me intrigued on some of these other D players... we don't really have a roster spot for D this year so picking up a guy thats happy to continue in Utica seems ideal. 

Has anyone here seen Kerfoot play? Would he have any chance of making the 23 man roster?

Yes, Kerfoot is more of a project, would not crack the 23 man roster. I'd say upper limits is bottom 6 with solid leadership abilities IMO, but who knows, with some good coaching anything is possible.

A couple questions 

Why wouldn't a player like butcher sign with the team that drafted him?  Even if a player doesn't want to play for that team what about the  contract? That's alot of dough he's given up over the last 4 yrs no?

Secondly. Why aren't these guys considered overagers if he's 22. 

Is that league like playing in the ahl

Txs

Can we sign some please? A free potential Tanev would be nice. I'm sure playing in the city is a huge plus for anyone that likes a good quality of life... not to mention, we're a pretty easy roster to crack. 

MG was a genius... 

In before someone says Jimbo is a genius for bringing in Troy and then me replying that he wanted to play in Van anyways since he's from here lol

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

It sounds like the Canucks aren't interested?  

Nothing happening today. Rights expire August 15th. Free agency for these players starts August 16th (tomorrow).

From CBA Article 8.6.c.i&ii:

"The drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for his services through and including the August 15..." 

38 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

I would like to see them take a flyer on a guy like Gage Ausmus

5th rounder from 2013 drafted by SJ. 

has size (6"2-210), works like a freak, has amazing leadership skills, named captain of UND as a junior and an incredible work ethic, and also a good buddy and former team mate of Brock Boeser

He's signed with the Avs' ECHL affiliate: 

http://coloradoeagles.com/echl-news/national-champion-ausmus-signs-with-colorado/

Still could be signed by any team to an NHL deal but generally teams don't seem to poach players that are already under contract with another team's affiliate.

we are loaded on D doubtful he comes here to compete for a regular nhl job where another team can offer him the justin schultz guaranteed position right away. Depends what the kid wants, $ now or willing to go to ahl adapt and deserve a call up if he does get sent down to start the year

Archived