The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] NCAA Free Agent Frenzy! (Sort of)

4 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

A couple questions 

Why wouldn't a player like butcher sign with the team that drafted him?  Even if a player doesn't want to play for that team what about the  contract? That's alot of dough he's given up over the last 4 yrs no?

Secondly. Why aren't these guys considered overagers if he's 22. 

Is that league like playing in the ahl

Txs

A player may not sign with the team that drafted him because 1) the team did not offer him a contract 2) the player wanted to finish college and as result wanted to decide where they would play or 3) they just didn't see a fit with the team that drafted them.There is no contract with a player that is still in the NCAA as they would lose their eligibility so no contract is broken. Most college players do not turn pro until after their 2nd or 3rd year so in most cases they are not giving up a lot of money. This would be particularly true if the team that drafted them indicated they wanted them to play in the ECHL or AHL for a couple of years.

College players are not restricted by the same age rules as junior players. NCAA teams can guarantee freshmen, up to the age of 21, four years of eligibility to play hockey. This would make the maximum age eligibility to be 25 but there is a current debate going on that could take the maximum age up one year to 26.

22 hours ago, Toews said:

Butcher does not impress me. Its a free wallet so I won't complain but I doubt he becomes anything more than a 3rd pairing D.

A free wallet?

Like one you got as a throw-in when you bought some cologne or something? 

Or one you found on the ground?

Cause you don't get to keep that, right? You have to try and find the owner.

If we add Kerfoot or Butcher, that just adds depth to our pool and makes our lineup a much better one and it's good already currently if we don't manage to sign any of these college kids. We still Bo left but Benning manages to add Butcher/Ausmus/Kerfoot/Somerbyor anybody else, then this will be by far one of his best offseasons. Pettersson is looking like a stud so far. I get a lot of Nicklas Backstrom vibes from him

17 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

so much for the "reports" Kerfoot had no interest in coming here. 

I get the guy comes with only the cost of a contract, but he's soon to be 23.  Is he going to be on our team when the younger guys are here?  Isn't he, likely, just another placeholder?  

Okay. Question for you all.

Seeing the Draisaitl issue going on with EDM, how many of these 'big fish ncaa free agents going to be turned off of signing with the ideal teams, due to the head ache possibly of signing long term when they want to?

Not that these players are the same caliber, but still. Toronto going to be in the same boat. 

What y'all think?

10 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Hope Kerfoot enjoys Utica next season lol

Not getting your humour here.

I would think he expects to spend time in Utica learning the pro game.   He's no Boeser; he's a 5th round pick, so it will likely be tough going for him regardless. 

Still, a freebe prospect who will probably be better than many of the players in Utica and may end up the 1st or 2nd C.  He's a very good playmaker, so he may be able to help out some of the W prospects.

On 8/15/2017 at 7:51 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Good thread (and cheers for the shoutout :))..

It's gonna be interesting to see where all the "holdouts" end up in free agency. While Kerfoot and Butcher have dominated the summer discussions (at least when it comes to Vancouver), there are a handful of other players that are worth considering (some of whom I'd argue represent potentially better signings than Kerfoot).

Blaine Byron is interesting. When he was drafted, Red Line called him the best pure skater in the draft. He was quite undersized (5'10 and 150ish) but has now grown to 6'1" and 185-190 lbs (according to team website). Has great hands and slick puck skills. And is coming off something like 18 goals and 41 points in 36 games last season.

I also mentioned Toninato and Somerby in the other thread.

Toninato is a player Toronto tried to sign last year but he wanted to finish his senior year. Now, TO doesn't really have the contract room to sign him. They have offered him an AHL only contract. He's put up solid numbers in college, has good size, and plays a complete game, including strong physical play. Wore the "C" for UMD and went to the national championship (lost to Denver in the final). Likely projects as a bottom-six forward in the NHL. 

Somerby is your prototypical rugged, defensive defensiveman with great size (6'5 and 225 lbs). His points totals are pretty meagre (which is always concerning when projecting odds of success), but some of that comes down to playing on a team with some good offensive Ds and him being slotted into a very defensive focused role. He's a guy who led his NCAA team (or was among the leaders) every year in blocked shots and hits. Uses his size well. Plays physical. Had some issues with fitness early on and was given the "skates well for his size" faint praise. But over the last couple years has trained hard and shed 20 lbs. Now skates quite smoothly and is extremely fit and well conditioned. Maybe a bit of a late bloomer as he was a power forward who converted to D as a teenager. Team captain and strong leadership ability. Could develop into a solid bottom-pairing/depth D with size and a physical presence.

Thanks Sid, As I have said before, I hope the Canuck scouts are as well-informed as you are. According to Rick Dhaliwal the Canucks are meeting Kerfoot today (Wednesday). i assume he is at home -- here -- for the summer. Maybe they can get him to talk to Stecher. Dhaliwal also says the Canucks have not yet called Butcher's agent. There is still time of course but it good to show enthusiasm. I guess the Canucks are not that interested and I admit that they already have a lot of good Ds headed for Utica. With Holm, Pedan, Subban, Biega, McEneny and Brisebois likely to be the top 6 in Utica that does not leave a lot of space. And I am not sure Butcher displaces any of those guys. If the best the Canucks can offer Butcher is 7th man in Utica, they will not be likely to sign him. But I would like to see the Canucks acquire at least one "long shot" D who can slot in as 7th man in Utica -- like Somerby.

Archived