The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] NCAA Free Agent Frenzy! (Sort of)

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Not getting your humour here.

I would think he expects to spend time in Utica learning the pro game.   He's no Boeser; he's a 5th round pick, so it will likely be tough going for him regardless. 

Still, a freebe prospect who will probably be better than many of the players in Utica and may end up the 1st or 2nd C.  He's a very good playmaker, so he may be able to help out some of the W prospects.

Not getting my humour? My humour is that he is signing with Vancouver...even though he's visiting other cities. It's like Troy Stecher, he'll talk to other teams but he WANTS to be a Canuck.

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It must have been this article. I don't think I saw any other report suggesting the Canucks are out of the sweeptakes.

the same author is tweeting he's been told the Av's? That just seems very unlikely to me... not sure what the attraction would be other than I suppose a bigger chance at minutes, but really? He seems to have links to 1050 Toronto... so maybe there's the answer as to why it seems odd :lol:

13 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

the same author is tweeting he's been told the Av's? That just seems very unlikely to me... not sure what the attraction would be other than I suppose a bigger chance at minutes, but really? He seems to have links to 1050 Toronto... so maybe there's the answer as to why it seems odd :lol:

Strange. 'Leaning towards' one team means all of the other teams are completely out of the picture?

I guess he is trying to gain credibility again by explaining why he wasn't going to sign with the Canucks, even though it doesn't make sense.

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Strange. 'Leaning towards' one team means all of the other teams are completely out of the picture?

I guess he is trying to gain credibility again by explaining why he wasn't going to sign with the Canucks, even though it doesn't make sense.

I suspect several "leaning towards" articles, posts, and tweets have been written over the past weeks. Kerfoot seems to have a short list of teams that he's visiting before making his decision. If a writer caught wind of one of the teams on that list, they'd probably consider it evidence enough to write an article saying Kerfoot was "leaning" that way.

Or they're just following the cherished hockey journalism tradition of making crap up. ;) 

So of the players I mentioned earlier in the thread, Toninato has now signed an ELC with the Avs (2yr, $925K AAV), Byron reportedly has around six teams interested in him (Vancouver isn't among them), and Somerby is still open to signing with NYI (his draft team) but is talking to a few other teams.

No indications the Canucks are in on any of these players (other than Kerfoot).

8 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Just realized Blaine Byron and Ben Hutton were teammates during Hutton's last two seasons in Maine.

Come on Benning. Work those phones. Byron would be a great consolation prize if Kerfoot goes to New York. 

Or we could just snag both. B)

its been very quiet about some of the other free agents.... i wonder if they are doing that on purpose? seems a little too quiet 

I think we're going to lose Kerfoot to NY, mostly because the NYR only have 12 Fs signed right now and NYC would be hard to turn down as a place to live.

8 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

its been very quiet about some of the other free agents.... i wonder if they are doing that on purpose? seems a little too quiet 

I think we're going to lose Kerfoot to NY, mostly because the NYR only have 12 Fs signed right now and NYC would be hard to turn down as a place to live.

Utica isn't far from NYC. I would say NYC is an expensive city to live in, but he has a rich dad.

On 8/22/2017 at 1:05 AM, theo5789 said:

Utica isn't far from NYC. I would say NYC is an expensive city to live in, but he has a rich dad.

Not to mention that max base pay on an ELC is over 900k and max performance bonuses are over 2 Million.

Archived