The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Oilers re-sign F Leon Draisaitl [8 year x $8.5M AAV]

24 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Man 8 years of him and McDavid up the middle in Edmonton... Good for them, I guess...

Could be the beginning of the Gretzky/Messier years where the Oil didn't just beat us on a regular basis, but they hammered us. Beat downs by 8, 9, 10, and 11 goals were not uncommon in the early eighties.

This is starting to bring back so many bad memories.

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

6 mil for 4 more years for Mr. Softee? Its going to have to be a cap dump, and then who do you replace him with?

Well I think dumping his cap is going to be harder than finding a replacement at half his cost.

McDavid - $12.5 million

Draisaitl - $8.5 million

Lucic - $6 million

Total: $27 million tied up on 3 players

Salary Cap: $75 mliion

More than 1/3 of the Oilers cap space spend on 3 players starting 2018-2019 (if the cap doesn't go up)

31 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Geez... the Western Conference version of Crosby+Malkin....

Honestly, I'll be shocked if there's no Cup in Edmonton during McDavid's career there...

Well considering Edmonton will have $40 million tied up in McDavid, Draisaitl, Lucic, Russell, Larsson etc., it's gonna be awfully hard to provide the necessary depth for their stars. 

Something's got to give in the next season or so as they have 61mil committed to the cap for the 2018-19 season and several RFA'S coming due including Nurse.   

Anyone thinking the Coilers got this cap thing figured had better re-check their figures imo. 

45 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's a steal!  The Oilers are going to be something.  CRAP!

"Steal" lol. He has 1 PPG year. Completely unproven still. Yes he his young, he potential is amazing, but 8 year commitment at that cap is rolling the dice to say the least. 

42 minutes ago, Lulover88 said:

Im jealous of their hockey team and its rich history but I feel truly blessed that I dont have to live there .

I guess even hell has its perks 

It's really not so bad there.  I was born and raised in Vancouver but I have also lived in Edmonton.  It's not that cold and it has a nice green river valley with excellent biking and skiing trails right through the heart of the city.  Cross country skiing at midnight in January right from my front doorstep was actually very pleasant (if you're a real Canadian).  The people there are also quality people.  And do you know what else might surprise a lot of people?  Edmonton actually has a lot more culture and diversity than people give them credit for.  People love to bash Edmonton as a place to live but it is really not as bad as people say.  Besides, it's the only Canadian city that isn't anchored to the USA and is actually located in the great white north.  GCG!

13 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

6 mil for 4 more years for Mr. Softee? Its going to have to be a cap dump, and then who do you replace him with?

I think that's why they brought Strome in.  Even if he plays really well this season, he won't be getting a 6M salary.  I think with the emergence of Poolparty, they will move Drais to 2nd C in time.  Just can't see them keeping RNH as their 3C.

I don't think they'll have a hard time moving RNH.

Archived