The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Oilers re-sign F Leon Draisaitl [8 year x $8.5M AAV]

Just now, higgyfan said:

I think that's why they brought Strome in.  Even if he plays really well this season, he won't be getting a 6M salary.  I think with the emergence of Poolparty, they will move Drais to 2nd C in time.  Just can't see them keeping RNH as their 3C.

I don't think they'll have a hard time moving RNH.

Yup they will get something back in return for RNH. It won't be a spectacular return but it will be fairly solid. I think if a team is willing to give him the offensive opportunities he can be a solid 60 point C with a respectable two way game. He doesn't have that opportunity in Edmonton

15 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Only way we can compete against EDM in the future is if our D is better, we play physical, and Demko becomes a top 10 Goalie.

I think all signs point that way as the plan, and with a bit of luck next draft it becomes very possible.

10 minutes ago, Toews said:

Yup they will get something back in return for RNH. It won't be a spectacular return but it will be fairly solid. I think if a team is willing to give him the offensive opportunities he can be a solid 60 point C with a respectable two way game. He doesn't have that opportunity in Edmonton

but he's never been to 60 pts and isn't great defensively...

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

While this is true, he's still better than Yakupov who did land a pick and a prospect, albeit not the greatest of value. (Pochiro's been in the ECHL a lot. lol)

6 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I think he is decent defensively, respectable at the very least. He is the one that plays the tougher minutes right now so that McDavid can get more ozone starts. IMO if a team with lesser C depth say for example Montreal gives him the offensive opportunities then he can still put up decent numbers. The talent is there and he is still fairly young. He just needs to get out of Edmonton.

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

That's a really good rate, but they are still going to be in cap balancing hell after this coming season. Once McDavid's 12.5 kicks in, they are not going to have much room to play.

Well, they can just trade RNH away for someone cheaper. As we have seen from Pittsburgh, you don't need a high paid third line center to win.

With good management, the Oilers look like they are going to contend for the next 5-8 years.

35 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I think all signs point that way as the plan, and with a bit of luck next draft it becomes very possible.

Hopefully Lind and Virtanen become forces to be reckoned with.

While our Future top 2C's arent close to theirs, if we can get Dahlin or Svechnikov our chances of competing increase. We will have more cap space to build a well rounded team with hopefully Petterson- Dahlen as our F stars, Dahlin and Joulevi as our D stars, and Demko as our star goalie

9 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If memory serves weren't Hall-Eberle-RNH signed for the same reasons and outcome? 

They also didn't reach the playoffs and have much to show for to begin with.

It's a very different situation now.

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Well considering Edmonton will have $40 million tied up in McDavid, Draisaitl, Lucic, Russell, Larsson etc., it's gonna be awfully hard to provide the necessary depth for their stars. 

Unfortunately, that's what many said with Pittsburgh...

Crosby - 8.5

Malkin - 9.5

Kessel - 6.8

Letang - 7.25

Fleury - 5.75

37.8M tied up in 5 players... they've done pretty well I would say?

The thing with Crosby+Malkin and arguably with McDavid+Draisatl is that these types of players make average players look like stars.  Depth is easy when you take a player that would be a typical 3rd liner, and they become a 20+ goal scorer on the wings of these superstar centres.

Archived