The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Oilers re-sign F Leon Draisaitl [8 year x $8.5M AAV]

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Something's got to give in the next season or so as they have 61mil committed to the cap for the 2018-19 season and several RFA'S coming due including Nurse.   

Anyone thinking the Coilers got this cap thing figured had better re-check their figures imo. 

i dunno

i work all day

you likely do too

so does the oiler management group

and they are well financed and able to hire resource people and experts to assist them

i kinda think they have done all the necessary ground work and research

to map out several contingency plans and team development scenarios

so that they can build a championship caliber team

i'll bet they have thought this all out extremely well

they are likely not like those of us on here just shooting off our mouths based on gut reactions to what we see happening

it appears they likely just locked up 2 emerging superstars for the next 8 years

that's the sort of high talent secured start any team would salivate over even if the cost is steep

the challenge for the canucks is how to best deal with this divisional rival

i doubt the canucks will show as poorly in the next few years as the canuck team in the 80s did

i think our management team also has a pretty solid plan in place

will be an interesting next 8 seasons

On 8/16/2017 at 11:38 AM, S'all Good Man said:

yes. Its going to be tough to fill out the rest of that roster. All hope is not lost folks. 

There is no way they don't end up in cap trouble at some point with those 2, Lucic and Russell.  

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Unfortunately, that's what many said with Pittsburgh

The thing with Crosby+Malkin and arguably with McDavid+Draisatl is that these types of players make average players look like stars.  Depth is easy when you take a player that would be a typical 3rd liner, and they become a 20+ goal scorer on the wings of these superstar centres.

Not only do the raise the level of other players.  But having these 2 locked up, makes Edmonton a destination for UFAs and NCAA players.

When 5-10 years ago, Edmonton was last on the list....(until Winnipeg came back).

The reason Lucic signed was to play with McJesus............now that backfired, but it's still the reason Lucic picked Edmonton.

Benning and Caggiula.....these were FREE players.  At least a part of the reason they both picked Edmonton was again.....McDavid.

20 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Unfortunately, that's what many said with Pittsburgh...

Crosby - 8.5

Malkin - 9.5

Kessel - 6.8

Letang - 7.25

Fleury - 5.75

37.8M tied up in 5 players... they've done pretty well I would say?

The thing with Crosby+Malkin and arguably with McDavid+Draisatl is that these types of players make average players look like stars.  Depth is easy when you take a player that would be a typical 3rd liner, and they become a 20+ goal scorer on the wings of these superstar centres.

The issue there is that Pittsburgh surrounded their group with vets and solid depth on worthwhile contracts.  MAF  was a bonafide starter and they had Letang who is a 1D.

But most importantly they have been able to develop depth within their organization.  Something Edmonton literally hasn't.

Outside of Klefbom and what's his name.  They spent 10 years in the toilet drafting almost exclusively top 10 and have 0 success outside of those picks to speak of.

Pittsburgh does.

1 hour ago, Toews said:

I think he is decent defensively, respectable at the very least. He is the one that plays the tougher minutes right now so that McDavid can get more ozone starts. IMO if a team with lesser C depth say for example Montreal gives him the offensive opportunities then he can still put up decent numbers. The talent is there and he is still fairly young. He just needs to get out of Edmonton.

really? he's a career - every year -10 or so, isn't physical at all, not good at all on face-offs.... I dunno, I could be wrong but I don't see the attraction. He's been bypassed by other players and looks to be pushed out to the wing. But you could be correct, e.g., if Montreal gave him 60%+ ozone time he may well put up 60, but man he sucks on the dot. I don't see how he gets to take face-offs in Montreal and be expected to produce say on their 2nd line. I think objectively you have to think he's failed to meet the expectations people had for him by a pretty decent margin. 

17 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

really? he's a career - every year -10 or so, isn't physical at all, not good at all on face-offs.... I dunno, I could be wrong but I don't see the attraction. He's been bypassed by other players and looks to be pushed out to the wing. But you could be correct, e.g., if Montreal gave him 60%+ ozone time he may well put up 60, but man he sucks on the dot. I don't see how he gets to take face-offs in Montreal and be expected to produce say on their 2nd line. I think objectively you have to think he's failed to meet the expectations people had for him by a pretty decent margin. 

He has been on some bad teams so +/- probably isn't the best stat to judge his play. Last year he handled the toughest competition so that McDavid could get the better offensive opportunities. He held his own but ultimately his talents are best served in a more offensive role. Also IMO while faceoffs are important, I feel like they are often overemphasized. There have been some good articles written on it from an analytical perspective. I am on my phone but I think you should be able to find them easily with google.

1 minute ago, Toews said:

He has been on some bad teams so +/- probably isn't the best stat to judge his play. Last year he handled the toughest competition so that McDavid could get the better offensive opportunities. He held his own but ultimately his talents are best served in a more offensive role. Also IMO while faceoffs are important, I feel like they are often overemphasized. There have been some good articles written on it from an analytical perspective. I am on my phone but I think you should be able to find them easily with google.

I've seen some of that info, it makes some sense that if you win a face-off in your zone and can't carry it out it doesn't really matter if you won it, but in the o-zone it is a big deal. Kesler schooled McDavid on that and pretty much shut him down for the majority of that series. So if RNH say was closer to 50% it would go a long way to being able to trade him imo. Sure RNH has some good offensive skills, but he's got some weaknesses too which I think makes him hard to move, coupled with the salary and term. We'll never know but Edmonton may have tried shopping RNH first instead of Hall in the Larsen deal. 

As others have said, good signing - good value.  And also as others have said, they are in serious cap trouble.  In particular, for the 2018-19 season.

They already have almost 61m committed, and still need to sign Benning, Nurse, Caggiula, Slepyshev, Strome and a backup goalie, as well as re-sign or replace Letestu, Maroon, Jokinen, and Fayne.  That's a whole lot to do with maybe 13m space.  Even if they juggle and trade away some of these players, the best they can do is get perhaps players with 1m contracts (so, basically AHL players) to fill all those positions.

Alternatively, they might be able to lose a higher-than-worthwhile contract, but they'll likely get fleeced on any trade they make since they are in a position with little to no bargaining power.

9 minutes ago, kloubek said:

As others have said, good signing - good value.  And also as others have said, they are in serious cap trouble.  In particular, for the 2018-19 season.

They already have almost 61m committed, and still need to sign Benning, Nurse, Caggiula, Slepyshev, Strome and a backup goalie, as well as re-sign or replace Letestu, Maroon, Jokinen, and Fayne.  That's a whole lot to do with maybe 13m space.  Even if they juggle and trade away some of these players, the best they can do is get perhaps players with 1m contracts (so, basically AHL players) to fill all those positions.

If only we could be their cap dump for their 2018st rd pick

I love haven't a bit of a different opinion on things.   I think that the combined value of these two deals along with Lucic and RNH are going to make it a real challenge to get over the hump as a team.   I believe Anaheim exposed how to check CM (same approach used in junior on him and by none other than Canuck prospect CC) and putting $20 million plus a winger on same line will not leave a lot anywhere else in lineup.    A lot of LDs point production came as a result of playing with the second or third best player in the game - separated and on 5x5, was far more pedestrian.

Time will tell.  My opinion is this will not end as well as most above seem to think it will.    

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Unfortunately, that's what many said with Pittsburgh...

Crosby - 8.5

Malkin - 9.5

Kessel - 6.8

Letang - 7.25

Fleury - 5.75

37.8M tied up in 5 players... they've done pretty well I would say?

You are comparing LD to Malkin I take it.    21e.gif

Archived